• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Indonesian Cooking, Cookbook Recommendations

I've recently been volunteered to cook a going away party for my girlfriend's cousin. He's moving to indonesia for an extended post-college adventure.

The email (written by my GF's mother) stated, "Sander will be cooking wonderful indonesian food." This is surprising for two reasons: 1. I'm cooking? 2. I make indonesian?

The first issue is not all that terrible -- I enjoy cooking, and my guests don't mind eating, and GF mom will foot the bill for ingredients, etc...

The second issue will require more research and a bit of help. I'm sure I could figure it out, but I need help with a place to start -- cookbook suggestions? Recipies? The party will probably be somewhere in the ballpark of 10-15 people, so think in the ballpark of big stews, etc...

thanx.

s

[...]The second issue will require more research and a bit of help.  I'm sure I could figure it out, but I need help with a place to start -- cookbook suggestions?  Recipies?  The party will probably be somewhere in the ballpark of 10-15 people, so think in the ballpark of big stews, etc...

Sounds like some rendang would be just the thing.

If you don't get much response here, you might start threads about specific dishes in the Elswhere in Asia/Pacific forum. One thing not to overlook is Indonesian-style salads, like gado-gado.

For dessert, perhaps you'd like to try your hand at some kuih.

Michael aka "Pan"

Pan, have you ever tried making kuih?? They look like they shouldn't be so hard, but they are devious little things. I can cook most foods without disaster, but kuih are the one thing I manage to mess up spectacularly time and time again... :huh: (taste was fine, but the looks...oh, dear)

Any book by Sri Owen would be good. Maybe don't experiment with the kuih, though, given that you are committed to taking the results for others to eat. :raz:

Pan, have you ever tried making kuih??[...]

Can't say I have. I make it a practice never to underestimate the expertise of the cooks here, though.

Michael aka "Pan"

• 3 weeks later...