• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

biscuits and gravy

Jean Blanchard

In our home, it is done with a good quality fresh sausage, "loose" as in out of the casing, browned with onion, sometimes bell pepper, seasoned with salt and pepper and worchestershire. Then a light roux with the pan drippings and flour, finished with milk. The sausage and onions are then reintroduces into the gravy, with a couple of dashes of tobasco to taste.

Any good buttermilk biscuit is fine. If you must cheat, then those frozen Pillsbury biscuits will do.

Pretty simple, really, and very satisfying.

The biscuit is really secondary to this dish. If you make the gravy right, the dish will shine. You can use any good sausage to make this, but your own is always a nice touch--and it's easy.

http://home.pacbell.net/lpoli/index_files/Pork_Breakfast.pdf

That is a recipe for roughly 5 pounds of breakfast sausage. I'm riffing off of it, so you'll want to right this down.

What I would do is get 1 pound of ground pork (unseasoned)

1 TBSP salt

1.25 tsp black pepper

2 tsp red pepper flake

2 tsp sage

2.5 tsp parsley (fresh or dried) (optional)

1.25 tsp thyme (optional)

1.25 tsp coriander (optional)

Mix all ingredients well. Brown and break up in a skillet. Drain off fat, but leave the brown bits stuck to the pan and about 2 TBSP fat for every intended cup of finished gravy. Add flour to equal fat amount (4 TBSP fat = 4 TBSP flour). Using a wooden spatula (or other sturdy device) brown the flour in the fat and scrape the brown bits off of the skillet while browning. After the flour has reached roughly the blonde roux stage ~4-5 minutes, start adding the milk in stages. Whisk it together well over medium heat. Serve after all milk is added and the gravy has come back to a boil.

It's just like making milk gravy from fried chicken drippings.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Biscuits and gravy is not a very photogenic dish, now is it? Should this be submitted to that other Dinner thread? :huh:

I will say this though, it is so tasty and satisfying. The gravy was really good, lots of soul food seasoning, black pepper and onions. The crumbled beef sausage patty was seasoned with aromatic sage.

gallery_11814_1914_36546.jpg

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

Biscuits and gravy is not a very photogenic dish, now is it?  Should this be submitted  to that other Dinner thread?  :huh:

I will say this though, it is so tasty and satisfying.  The gravy was really good, lots of soul food seasoning, black pepper and onions.  The crumbled beef sausage patty was seasoned with aromatic sage. 

gallery_11814_1914_36546.jpg

It is just fine where it is. I just about licked my screen when I saw that picture. It doesn't have to look good.

Bill Russell