• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

food suppliers

Pots

I will be in Toronto during the holidays and would like to take the time to see some of the better food suppliers that cater to fine restaurants in Toronto.I am a chef in Montreal and am always searching for what is new,fresh,organic and different.Can anyone help me out with this and give me some advice as to what may interest me in terms of high-end food suppliers.Also any advice on Japanese food stores would be appreciated

As well I will be dinning one evening at Susur,and await to try out his food.

I will be in Toronto during the holidays and would like to take the time to see some of the better food suppliers that cater to fine restaurants in Toronto.I am a chef in Montreal and am always searching for what is new,fresh,organic and different.Can anyone help me out with this and give me some advice as to what may interest me in terms of high-end food suppliers.Also any advice on Japanese food stores would be appreciated

As well I will be dinning one evening at Susur,and await to try out his food.

There is a small chain of Korean marts with a good selection of Japanese products, 'P.A.T.' They are on Palmerston Av north of Bloor, Lawrence Av East near Warden, and somewhere in Mississauga. There is also the Japanese Paper Store, on Queen West near Ossington or Dovercourt Av.

There is also the Japanese Paper Store, on Queen West near Ossington or Dovercourt Av.

More like Ossington, I think. It's on the north side of QueenW, more or less on the corner of a sidestreet.

Been in there once or twice - they're more than a paper shop. They've got food products you won't see around much, too.

The P.A.T. shop on BloorW, mentioned by jayt90, also caries quite a few Japanese products. And if you know your way around (and you might, but I'll say it anyway) there are many Korean products that are similar to or equivalent to Japanese. For eg, Korean miso (dwaen-jang) is a bit rougher than Japanese, but their nori (kim) is considered superior, including by Japanese.

Good luck. There's probably more out there, but that's what I know.

The japanese store is called Sanko and is east of ossington on Queen St. East. A good fish supplier (sells to chefs and the public) is Bill's Lobsters on Gerard St. East of Broadview. Great shellfish, friendly, knowledgable service. When you arrive on a thursday, there is live prawns from BC swimming in the tank. You will have difficulties finding vegetable suppliers (other than the usual corner veg markets), as most are well outside the core of Toronto. Harvest wagon on yonge st. at summerhill showcases the best of what produce can be purchased. Take a stroll through Kensington Market as many chefs will pick up small hard to get items there. Be sure to poke your head into as many stores as possible to see what is on offer. If you are here on a saturday, go to the north market of the St. Lawrence market. All Ontario product for sale and you will find some good goat's milk artisanal cheese for sale by its producer, Ruth Klausen. The dairy is called Monforte Dairy. When I was there last, she had a new cheese that she had yet to name that was based on a burgundy mountain goat's cheese. Delicious! Ontario lamb is very good and there is a good greek butcher on the danforth called Mr Greek Meat Market. The legs are incredible. For cheese and hard to find gastronomic delights (including their won dry aged black angus alberta beef) go to the cheese boutique off the queensway at 45 Ripley ave. If you are at the St. Lawrence market though, check out Chris's Cheesemongers and you will be pleasantly surprised by the variety of artisanal quebec cheese offered for sale there (including some interesting unpasteurized New Brunswick Cheese's).

I know there is alot more, but I have to get back to work now. Have Fun!

The japanese store is called Sanko and is east of ossington on Queen St. East

Whoops - make that QueenW, as we said above.

I was in there today for the first time in a while. (Onigiri for $1.50!) Someone wrote that it was a 'paper store', however, it's not that at all. Lots of foodstuffs on sale, catering to homesick Japanese I'm sure, and lots of Japanese ceramics. It might be the best place around to buy a nabe pot or various other dishes you can use to serve Japanese food. Some tea sets too. Little paper. Japanese videos, also for the homesick. The staff I saw were Japanese. An authentic automated electronic genki female voice greets you 'irashaimasei' (or however it's spelt) as you enter. Maybe the best Japanese food shop in Toronto.

http://www.toronto-sanko.com/

And as they say in Japanese at this time of year - 'Meri Kurisumasu.'

Edited by KevV (log)