• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peppermint Extract

Randi

I am making a recipe that calls for "peppermint extract" which I couldn't find at my local grocery stores. I bought "mint extract" instead and it smells like mouthwash. It contains both peppermint oil and spearmint oil and I don't think it's the right flavor for the candy. (I am making mint marshmallow filled chocolate cups)

I don't have much time to run around looking, so I will try a couple of other stores nearby and hope to find peppermint - but was wondering what might substitute if I can't find it. Can I do something with fresh mint? (would that taste like peppermint, tho?) or maybe creme de menthe, or peppermint schnapps?

Any suggestions?

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

I am making a recipe that calls for "peppermint extract" which I couldn't find at my local grocery stores.  I bought "mint extract" instead and it smells like mouthwash. It contains both peppermint oil and spearmint oil and I don't think it's the right flavor for the candy.  (I am making mint marshmallow filled chocolate cups)

I don't have much time to run around looking, so I will try a couple of other stores nearby and hope to find peppermint - but was wondering what might substitute if I can't find it.  Can I do something with fresh mint? (would that taste like peppermint, tho?)  or maybe creme de menthe, or peppermint schnapps?

Any suggestions?

Ooooh, the peppermint schnapps sounds really good. Never thought of that. I would suppose it would work because the extract also has alcohol in it.

Try a local health food store (or the health food aisle in your regular grocery store).

[i don't think that fresh mint would be strong enough...]

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

I have always used peppermint oil from my local health food store. It is way more powerfull then the extract so be carefull with the quantitiy.

John

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

Peppermint ramblings...

I think they would be good without the peppermint flavor too. Peppermint can be overwhelming to me. And I actually avoid eating peppermint if I am eating like at a buffet or something. Because nothing tastes right after I eat it. So they are muy delicious, but they kind of steal the show. I think just the peppermint candies on top is cool. And I always wrap peppermint stuff up separate from the like peanut butter cookies & everything else lest the peppermint take hold over those too. A leetle bit of the flavor goes a loooong way too.

Just some pepperminty musings for you :biggrin:

Edited by K8memphis (log)

I would make two suggestions:

1. You could infuse milk with fresh mint (bring the milk to a boil, add mint off the heat, cover immediately with a tight-fitting lid or with plastic wrap, and let stand for 15-30 minutes, depending on the strength of flavor you would like. You could also infuse the mixture overnight in the fridge) for some nice fresh minty flavor.

2. You are already chopping up real red/white peppermints and adding them to the milk and marshmallow? I think that should give you enough pepperminty kick. The extracts can be very overpowering - many people overuse their good qualities and end up with a very artificial-tasting product.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Happily I did find the peppermint extract today - but now I am eyeing my creme de menthe and wondering...!

K8, thanks for the reminder to keep the minty goodies away from the others. I knew that, but most likely wouldn't have thought of it with all the goings on.

Now I am wondering if I'll ever have a need for the mint extract I got (not the peppermint). Maybe I should make home made toothpaste! :raz:

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

Ekaterina,

Just saw your reply. The mint-infused milk sounds really yummy. I think I will try that next time I make them! I think it would be a much fresher taste.

But for now, I am already home from the store with the extract and without the fresh mint.

Thanks for the idea!

May daughter and I make Chocolate Mint Cookies. The only mint is 1/2 of an Andes Mint on the top after removing from oven, and it's plenty of flavoring for each cookies. The mints are cut in half diagonally. I'll bet you could do the same thing, or melt the candies and use as a glaze on top.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali