• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beer Shopping

Susan in FL

Russ went to Delmarva (mostly Delaware) as he does twice a year or so for reasons including beer shopping. It was a good one! We are now restocked with some old favorites, a couple of new ones, and a nice selection of the current vintage of winter brews:

Tuppers' Hop Pocket Ale

and Dominion Winter Brew from Old Dominion Brewing Co.

Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout

and Boonville 2005 Winter Solstice from Anderson Valley Brewing Company

Cave Creek Chili Beer

River Horse Hop Hazard Pale Ale

Snow Cap Winter Warmer, Pyramid Breweries

Baltus O.V.S. Ale, Heavyweight Brewing Co.

Victory Hop Devil IPA and Hop Wallop Ale

Rogue Dead Guy Ale

Sierra Nevada 2005 Celebration Ale

and Bigfoot Barleywine Style Ale

Lancaster Milk Stout

and Hop Hog IPA from Lancaster Brewing Company

Brooklyn Brewery Black Chocolate Stout '05-'06

Yards Brewing Company Love Stout

Comments about any of these are heartily welcomed. I'll be back with some comments and/or will mention them in the What Beers Did You Drink Topic.

Post here if you would like to share your findings from a good beer shopping. Cheers!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

I like the Victory Hop Devil when I'm in the mood for something that is (to me at least) quite bitter. I haven't tried the Hop Wallop yet because I'm afraid I might not be able to drink it. Still, during the summer I drank quite a lot of the Hop Devil.

I think I've had the Rogue Dead Guy but I'm not sure. I know I enjoyed whichever Rogue beer it was I drank....

I'm so useful, I know!

Jennie

Jeniac, if you like Hop Devil at times that you want a bitter beer, I think you would like the Hop Wallop -- perhaps even better. I thought it was more clean and refreshing and less bitter flavored than Hop Devil; at least that is the way it struck me tonight. I would be eager to hear how you like it.

This is my idea of a perfectly balanced beer. :wub:

I like the Victory Hop Devil when I'm in the mood for something that is (to me at least) quite bitter.  I haven't tried the Hop Wallop yet because I'm afraid I might not be able to drink it.

As a regular drinker of Hop Devil, Hop Wallop came as something as a disappointment. Most of the "wallop" is the alcohol rate (and price), the actual hop bitterness is not much greater than HD. And, it seems to me, it rather quickly loses a LOT once bottled (quicker even than 'Devil & Prima Pils, both of which I try to buy with a "Enjoy by" date of 2 months away or more).

I had a bottle left from last year's supply and drank it about 6 months after bottling and had to check the label after I took the first drink- "THIS is Hop Wallop?".

That said, as a "hophead" from the days of Ballantine XXX Ale and India Pale Ale, someone who used to pick a hop flower from my vines and chew it in the garden (or while I was drinking a low hopped beer), I don't think the hopping rate of any beer should be painful or so dominate that everything else is missing. (That hop tea with alcohol.)

As a regular drinker of Hop Devil, Hop Wallop came as something as a disappointment.  Most of the "wallop" is the alcohol rate (and price), the actual hop bitterness is not much greater than HD.  And, it seems to me, it rather quickly loses a LOT once bottled (quicker even than 'Devil & Prima Pils, both of which I try to buy with a "Enjoy by" date of 2 months away or more).

...Always glad to meet another Hophead! :smile:

That is interesting, because I am a regular drinker of Hop Devil also, and this was far from a disappointment to me. Regarding the ABV, both of us were surprised that it is 8.5; it didn't taste of that much alcohol to us. We didn't look until after tasting it. And the price... Good beer for me is like other fine foods and drinks. As long as it delivers, I will pay.

We have had Hop Devil past the enjoy-by date that had lost it, and actually didn't taste good. The first time that happened, I wasn't expecting it, given the origin/history of India Pale Ales.

The hop bitterness not being greater than Hop Devil was why I thought Jeniac might enjoy it, but maybe the bitterness is debatable depending on whose palate is doing the tasting. ...There is just something about Victory beers and my taste buds. It was love at first sip. :wub: And still, for me nothing beats a fresh Hop Devil from the tap in the brewpub.

I can get both Hop Devil and Hop Wallop on tap at a couple of places around here. I'm not sure if that makes it more likely to get a better beer or not. I might be going out tonight and if the bar has Hop Wallop I'll definitely give it a try and let you know what I think of it!

Jennie

OK, how about this one, I knew I would be away from my favorite shop for a week so on Thursday I purchased the following:

(2) Bear Republic Racer 5 IPA

Moylans Moylander Double IPA

Victory Hop Wallop

Belhaven Scottish Ale

Anderson Valley Brewing Company Hop Ottin' IPA

Anderson Valley Brewing Company Winter Brew

Great Divide Hercules Double IPA

Pelican IPA

Rogue Juniper Pale Ale

Deschutes Mirror Pond Pale Ale

Deschutes Pale Ale

Good Times!

:rolleyes:

Twitter: Audiofan2

www.sacramentocook.com

OK, how about this one, I knew I would be away from my favorite shop for a week so on Thursday I purchased the following:

(2) Bear Republic Racer 5 IPA

Moylans Moylander Double IPA

Victory Hop Wallop

Belhaven Scottish Ale

Anderson Valley Brewing Company Hop Ottin' IPA

Anderson Valley Brewing Company Winter Brew

Great Divide Hercules Double IPA

Pelican IPA

Rogue Juniper Pale Ale

Deschutes Mirror Pond Pale Ale

Deschutes Pale Ale

Good Times!

:rolleyes:

Oh, I almost forgot also a De Ranke XX Bitter Belgian Golden Ale

Twitter: Audiofan2

www.sacramentocook.com

I ventured into NYS last week for some holiday quaffs as well as some things that I jst don't ordinarily see. I came home with (2) 750's of Affligem Noel, a sixer of Aass JuleOl, a sixer of Rogue American Amber, a sixer of Stone IPA and a few Weihenstephaner Korbinians.

The place I went to also sells draft beer growlers, and one of their selections was the St. Bernardus Abt 12 ($25 for a half-gallon). I was tempted, but ultimately decided that it was too much for one person to consume in a few days. Friends will be over next weekend, and maybe I'll get some if it is still available.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."