• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sufganiot / Jelly Doughnut help

Pam R

A few days ago I posted a topic over in the Special Occasions forum. Next week I need to make Jelly doughnuts / jam-busters on TV.

Now - it's been a few years since I've made them - but after tested a couple of recipes, then tweaking, I've come up with my own recipe that I like very much.

My question involves the logistics of it all. I need to be at the TV studio at 6:45 in the morning. I figure I'll have a dough ready to go so that we can roll and cut them - but I think I should take some rounds ready to go (proofed again). Does anybody have any suggestions on how to best do this whole thing? I just put a few rounds in the freezer - can I do that the day before and just pull them out in the morning when I leave? Will they rise and fry well? Any thoughts?

For filling them, I've tried a couple of things - the best thing that's worked for me is to cut a little x at one end with a pointed knife, then use a pastry bag with a small, plain circle tip to insert the filling.

If anybody has any suggestions to make this work smoothly I'd appreciate it. Tip and ideas welcome.

I normally use the recipe in Claudia Roden's, "The Book of Jewish Food". However, I just checked Joan Nathan's, "The Jewish Holiday Kitchen" and her recipe calls for making the dough and letting it rise overnight in the refrigerator. Then you roll out the dough and cut into rounds. Cover and let rise for 15 minutes more and fry.

Good luck with the show Pam. I also think the best way to fill them is to make a slit. I tried making them by filling them and putting two rounds together, but most of them split open.

We use all sorts of designer fillings here, but you will have to wait and see them next week.... :wink:

Edited by Swisskaese (log)

We use all sorts of designer fillings here, but you will have to wait and see them next week.... :wink:

Thanks Michelle. I will leave the mixed dough (ready to be rolled) in the fridge overnight - but I figured the rolled and cut dough would be too thin not to freeze.

I want to know about the designer fillings now! :angry:

:biggrin:

I'm doing the typical jam. Then I have some lemon curd that I made a while back in the freezer - I thought that might be nice. I don't know if I need anything else. Though ideas are always welcome :wink:

If they are in the refridgerator they shouldn't freeze or your temp. is off.

I think if it was me............I'd prep. several ways....just incase....if anything happened while transporting or for some reason you dough didn't rise as well as usual. I'd rather have several possiblities/back-ups then just choosing one way. I know it's more work......but I think it's worth it, to be totally prepared.

GOOD LUCK!!!! You'll have to tell us how it went, please???? Break a leg...........

I think if it was me............I'd prep. several ways....just incase....if anything happened while transporting or for some reason you dough didn't rise as well as usual. I'd rather have several possiblities/back-ups then just choosing one way. I know it's more work......but I think it's worth it, to be totally prepared.

GOOD LUCK!!!! You'll have to tell us how it went, please???? Break a leg...........

You're right - but I think I can just make up a big batch of dough and freeze some, refrigerate some. And of course, I'll take some that are ready to eat - just in case!

Thanks for the luck! I need it! :wink:

The best advice I can give you is to find out exactly how much time you'll have on the air and rehearse over and over with a stopwatch. You'll be amazed how quickly 3 minutes goes by and it's better to look silly in front of a mirror than in front of a camera.

Always speak your mind. Those who mind don't matter and those who matter won't mind.

The best advice I can give you is to find out exactly how much time you'll have on the air and rehearse over and over with a stopwatch. You'll be amazed how quickly 3 minutes goes by and it's better to look silly in front of a mirror than in front of a camera.

Thanks for the advice - but this isn't my first time doing tv. It's just my first time doing sufganiot on tv :wink: . I'll take forms of the doughnuts at each step to the studio so that when the host needs to hurry me along, I can jump to the next form. And they're giving me 5 minutes! :biggrin:

So how did it go Pam?

I'm doing it on Wednesday. I'll report back.

Thanks for the link Molly - who knew that the world could thank the Jews for fried food?!

Well - it finally went down yesterday morning. I drove through a blizzard and got to the studio at 6:30 am. I brought with me the ingredients for the dough - a batch of dough that I stashed in the fridge overnight and a tray of dough rounds that I had frozen. The timing was great - I didn't go on until just before 8 AM - so it gave the dough a chance to warm up and finish proofing - and the rounds thawed and proofed a bit.

All went relatively smoothly - I got in plugs for the store, the book and my column :wink: . One of the hosts (who did most of my segment) ate one on the air and proclaimed it delicious, which is always nice. But then, during the commercial break she ate another 4! That's what I'm talking about! The other host asked me to come back every day, as long as I had jam-busters (or, oddly turducken) with me!

I don't have pictures from the show - but I had some extra rounds in the freezer that I fried up at work today and put out for sale:

gallery_25849_641_549.jpg

By the time I got a chance to take a picture, most of them were gone! Each tray had a different flavour filling: lemon, raspberry, blueberry and chocolate ganache.

Here's a blueberry (though I must say, this one was a wee bit short on the filling :hmmm: ):

gallery_25849_641_20845.jpg

I'm not sure why it was low on filling, as they had a tendency to squirt out excess filling as I was actually OVERfilling them... but that's ok.

I felt more relaxed doing this tv spot than I ever have before when doing them - but I think I was well prepared for it - and I guess with a little experience it is easier.

I wonder if they'll want me back for Passover :wink: .

Edited by Pam R (log)