• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

But I managed to get some very nice emping buah belinjao (a bitterish cracker but somehow the bitterness goes quite well with the salt sprinkled on it)

Shiewie, is emping difficult to find in Malaysia? I was looking for it all over, and managed only to find some already fried, probably years before I bought them. They were stale and strangely flavored. ( I am almost certain they sprinkled maggi mee (instant ramen) seasoning on them ). Now I have lost all faith in Malaysian emping.

Emping is my all time favorite salty snack.... I'm so jealous.

Shiewie, is emping difficult to find in Malaysia?  I was looking for it all over, and managed only to find some already fried, probably years before I bought them.  They were stale and strangely flavored. ( I am almost certain they sprinkled maggi mee (instant ramen) seasoning on them ).  Now I have lost all faith in Malaysian emping.

Emping is my all time favorite salty snack.... I'm so jealous.

Hmmm... we used to get our supply of emping buah belinjao / buah sakok from Kuala Terengganu (KT) market from our annual CNY visits there. They're the same as the ones from Indonesia - raw ones that you fry at home. They're easily available in the KT market and I haven't tried getting them in KL. kew - do you know if you can get them in KL?

My mum thought she had scored super-grade ones from Bali this time as they looked considerably larger than the ones we get in Terengganu ... till she fried them today and realized that they had pounded several fruit together to make each keropok :laugh:.

When it comes to keropok/kerupuk/krepek, the Indonesians have the Malaysians beat.

From what I have seen in the sheer variety of flavor, shapes, sizes and an appetite for kerupuk at every meal (maybe generalizing a tad there), they have taken kerupuk to the next level.

Untuk makanan utama, siang dan malem, mesti kerupuk ada sih!

I agree, David. I prefer Indonesian krupuk udang somewhat to Malaysian keropok ikan. Shiewie, I don't remember the name of emping but do remember the taste and texture, if it's the same thing I'm thinking of. It's got some kind of seeds in it, right? If so, I was eating some in PJ on the first or second night I was there in 2003.

Michael aka "Pan"

Hi Michael

Err... I haven't encountered seeds in emping buah belinjao, just hard bits in some crackers that weren't fried properly :laugh:. I'll see if I can catch a picture of the newly fried ones if they haven't vanished.

Shiewie, the thing I'm thinking of is white and crackly and has a funny off taste to it but is still moderately OK to eat. I wouldn't search it out, though.

Michael aka "Pan"

Hi Michael

Err... I haven't encountered seeds in emping buah belinjao, just hard bits in some crackers that weren't fried properly  :laugh:. I'll see if I can catch a picture of the newly fried ones if they haven't vanished.

I love emping, here are some with a sweet kecap/gula aren coating. Still retain that bitter after taste :raz:

i11100.jpg

Edited by spaghetttti (log)

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti