• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Transit Strike & NYC Restaurants

rich

Our office holiday party, which was to have taken place tonight at a restaurant, has been postponed.

Until after the strike or the holidays?

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

Our office holiday party, which was to have taken place tonight at a restaurant, has been postponed.

Until after the strike or the holidays?

Same here. Until after the holidays.

Since most places are booked to capacity, I can't imagine it would be possible to reschedule until after the holidays. Given that deposits have been paid, etc. I would think that most firms are locked into their venues.

--

Based on what I've seen around town, as well as my own place of employment, FG's instincts seem to be correct.

An article this evening on the Times website builds on this:

Businesses remained shuttered or devoid of customers, and thousands of workers across the region stayed home, including roughly 20 percent of the workers in the city's largest companies. At Lord & Taylor, the famed Midtown department store, executives walked the sales floor, trying to sell the gloves and sweater sets themselves, mirroring the desperation of many retailers.
In large swaths of Manhattan, however, it seemed as if Christmas Day had already arrived, as icy streets remained silent and bathed in winter light, and taxis whizzed by, unhailed.
The Partnership for New York, a business consortium, estimated that 20 percent of the city's work force in its major corporations did not show up for work today, although many may have been telecommuting.

Retail stores and restaurants were empty of shoppers, diners and in many cases, employees this morning.

Based on what I've seen around town, as well as my own place of employment, FG's instincts seem to be correct.

An article this evening on the Times website builds on this:

Businesses remained shuttered or devoid of customers, and thousands of workers across the region stayed home, including roughly 20 percent of the workers in the city's largest companies. At Lord & Taylor, the famed Midtown department store, executives walked the sales floor, trying to sell the gloves and sweater sets themselves, mirroring the desperation of many retailers.
In large swaths of Manhattan, however, it seemed as if Christmas Day had already arrived, as icy streets remained silent and bathed in winter light, and taxis whizzed by, unhailed.
The Partnership for New York, a business consortium, estimated that 20 percent of the city's work force in its major corporations did not show up for work today, although many may have been telecommuting.

Retail stores and restaurants were empty of shoppers, diners and in many cases, employees this morning.

I guess it's time to close the lights and go home. I hope they don't cancel Christmas because of the transit strike, I already began thawing out my goose.

Just for curiosity when New York City closes, who has the keys and locks up?

I certainly feel sorry for all those people at Penn Station last night, they thought the city was crowded. Little did they know, they were all alone. Just for the record, restaurants around Penn Station reported a brisk business as did bars and deli's.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

I work in the Time Warner Center. Business was at usual at lunch. At dinner, the first seating was normal for a Tuesday but a lot of later reservations fell off. The Chef did purchase some rooms for those who live far away and had to return again in the morning. I'm not sure how many in the end took advantage of them.

Edited by raxelita (log)

Drink maker, heart taker!

I work in the Time Warner Center.  Business was at usual at lunch. The first seating was normal for a Tuesday but a lot of later reservations fell off.  The Chef did purchase some rooms for those who live far away and had to return again in the morning.  I'm not sure how many in the end took advantage of them.

I think that was quite nice and smart on the chef's part. Actually aside from the sarcasm above, the city was less crowded than normal yesterday, which is typical for a first day of transit strike.

But today most people will attempt to go back to work and it is the busiest matinee day of the year. Most restaurants will do a brisk lunch business and hotel restaurants are breaking the bank - the hotel occupancy rate has never been higher.

Saying that however, hotels and restaurants fear next week when they depend on tourists because a number of businesses close or work with skeleton staffs during the week between the holidays. And if the strike continues and tourists cancel their plans, it could be a disasterous week for both restaurants and hotels.

Edited by rich (log)

Rich Schulhoff

I went to Dinosaur BBQ last night.. The place was busy and rocking.. Had great wings and a pretty good BBQ Cuban..

That's New York - nothing stops us from having a good time! Witness the blackout that turned into one giant stoop party...

To bring this back to food, I would guess that neighborhood joints are probably prospering (assuming their workers can make it in) - not only because people are more likely to eat dinner at a place they can walk to, but also because folks like me, who normally eat lunch in midtown, are working from home. I've certainly boosted the coffee shops and delivery spots in the 'hood the last two days...

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

FWIW, I've been bugging Gilt for cancellations, and they've been (nicely: they've changed the phone staff from Le Cirque) telling me there's still nothing available. (Although, Gilt aside, I've gotta believe the strike is hurting high-end restaurants.)

Edited by Sneakeater (log)

All: I have had to do some minor deleting of quasi-political and off topic material. Nothing egregious, but I thought it was prudent to nip this in the bud before we go any further astray. Let's keep to our topic here, and stay away from any temptations to expand into speculation as to motivations, culpability, etc.

Thanks!

:smile:

--

On my bike ride home last night from Dumbo every bar I passed by was packed. I think people for the most part are taking it in stride. On the ride in this morning I noticed a lot of people one the sidewalks holding signs "Need to go to Midtown", "Need ride to East Village". Quite a few cars were stopping to pick up people to make their 4 person quota.

I did notice the women were getting picked up much more than the guys holding similar signs. :rolleyes:

I remember during the big blackout when my wife and I were living in an 8 unit apartment building it did turn into a giant stoop party. We brought out some pate we had in the fridge, the upstairs people made a big batch of mimosas, downstairs broke out the cheese and crackers. A few candles and we had a great blackout party.

Everything in stride for us NY'ers it seems.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

All:  I have had to do some minor deleting of quasi-political and off topic material.  Nothing egregious, but I thought it was prudent to nip this in the bud before we go any further astray.  Let's keep to our topic here, and stay away from any temptations to expand into speculation as to motivations, culpability, etc.

Thanks!

:smile:

Glad you did. I was in the middle of writing my own indignant response, but decided to let it go. :wink:

I did notice a few places, like Chipotle, were closed early yesterday, but most of the restaurant I passed on my walk home (up Broadway from downtown to the Village) seemed to be operating, although at a lower capacity.

I will say that one benefit of the strike is that the 2 mile walk each way to my job has been great exercise and gives me an excuse to eat a few more carbs. :biggrin:

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

its amusing...someone posted a review of Thor today on chowhound complaining about service issues that were clearly strike related. I responded that one should give restaurants a pass this week, including Thor, and it was promptly deleted.

let's just say that some are of the view that if the restaurant is open it should be at its full capabilities....

let's just say that some are of the view that if the restaurant is open it should be at its full capabilities....

And let's just say they probably have never worked at one.

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

The hotel occupancy rate is already extremely high this time of year, so the marginal increase isn't going to be huge. In any event, the vastly reduced number of commuters coming in to the city should be many times greater than the number of people added to the hotel population. Maybe you've got some information to the contrary, but I've never heard of a disruption that didn't affect the restaurant business negatively. The few people I've spoken to who remember the 1980 strike remember it being pretty bad for restaurants, and for almost all businesses.

Not only am I old enough to remember the 1980 strike, but at the time I worked in the Mayor's Office of Economic Development and it was our job to estimate the impact on the city's economy :wacko: We outreached to the major industry sectors -- restaurants, hotels, garment district, financial, etc. etc. -- and came up with estimates that were used by the major media outlets :unsure: There will always be businesses that do well during adverse times, but I believe the overall economic impact will be negative.

Ilene

The 11 day strike of 1980 cost 1 billion dollars as I have read in several different places.. It is estimated that the first day had economic impact of 400 million dollars and will impact the New York another 300 million per day.. Although, the majority of people here seem to be taking it in stride, with 20 percent of the work force out yesterday and these staggering numbers, someone is getting hurt..

Edited by Daniel (log)

Although, the majority of people here seem to be taking it in stride, with 20 percent of the work force out yesterday and these staggering numbers, someone is getting hurt..

Good reason for eGulleteers in Manhattan to patronize their favorite eating spots during the strike.

~ Fernand Point

And hopefully egulleters are physically fit enough to walk in the freezing cold, or wealthy enough to pay extra money for transportation, and be willing to accept the below average service.. I for one will be standing outside the Odd Couple tonight hoping for a cancellation and hitting up Pam Thai..

The NYC transit strike will certainly affect business, but will the restaurant industry be immune to the situation or will it hurt them more?

For people who live in Manhattan, I don't think it will have much of an affect for dinner. The city will be open and travel by cab or foot should be okay. However lunch will be hurt to some degree (though not major) because middle of the day traffic is greater so people will eat at places where they can walk.

The real impact will be weeknight dinner for places that rely on an outer borough and suburban clientele. The other major problem will be employees. It may be very difficult for employees who don't live in Manhattan to get back and forth to work. Restaurants may need to find inexpensive hotel rooms.

The strike won't have an affect on outer borough restaurants at all as very few Manhattanites venture into the other boroughs for food. And if they do it's a rare occasion.

I read the comments and I have to ask are you all kidding ? Restaurants are laying off staff, closing for the night and business is decimated. As a supplier to the city's busiest restaurants, I can estimate that business is off by 75%. The busiest time of the year, and there is no customer. Yeah, Per Se diners dont take the subway, but will they get into a cab with two other people they dont know in a group ride to travel for an hour through 9 blocks of gridlock ? Will they find a cab after dinner ? Hotels will keep guests in their dining rooms, but will anyone else venture out ? So far, NO !!!

The NYC transit strike will certainly affect business, but will the restaurant industry be immune to the situation or will it hurt them more?

For people who live in Manhattan, I don't think it will have much of an affect for dinner. The city will be open and travel by cab or foot should be okay. However lunch will be hurt to some degree (though not major) because middle of the day traffic is greater so people will eat at places where they can walk.

The real impact will be weeknight dinner for places that rely on an outer borough and suburban clientele. The other major problem will be employees. It may be very difficult for employees who don't live in Manhattan to get back and forth to work. Restaurants may need to find inexpensive hotel rooms.

The strike won't have an affect on outer borough restaurants at all as very few Manhattanites venture into the other boroughs for food. And if they do it's a rare occasion.

I read the comments and I have to ask are you all kidding ? Restaurants are laying off staff, closing for the night and business is decimated. As a supplier to the city's busiest restaurants, I can estimate that business is off by 75%. The busiest time of the year, and there is no customer. Yeah, Per Se diners dont take the subway, but will they get into a cab with two other people they dont know in a group ride to travel for an hour through 9 blocks of gridlock ? Will they find a cab after dinner ? Hotels will keep guests in their dining rooms, but will anyone else venture out ? So far, NO !!!

Thank you. What you said.

And hopefully egulleters are physically fit enough to walk in the freezing cold, or wealthy enough to pay extra money for transportation, and be willing to accept the below average service..  I for one will be standing outside the Odd Couple tonight hoping for a cancellation and hitting up Pam Thai..

Pam Thai should be great. Sadly, I don't have the same feeling about the Odd Couple.

Rich Schulhoff

Most of this discussion is nuts.  It's speculation.

Tell you what.  I'm going to Jovia tonight.  I'll tell you later what it looked like inside there at dinnertime.

(Of course, since I've never been there before, I have no basis for comparison.)

Why don't we consider it the hypothesis section of the lab report? :wink: Would love to hear what the crowd is like at Jovia...and anywhere else people eat tonight.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007