• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

chef Sandro Gamba

ulterior epicure

two of my most pleasant dining experiences this summer in chicago were had at nomi in the park hyatt right before chef sandro gamba left. as i expect promising things from him, i'd love to know where he is at and what he's up to...

any news?

ulterior epicure.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

• 2 weeks later...

thanks sumac for the update.

i was just in france. is he cooking or just taking some time off? i understand if privacy demands discretion. just curious if there's a restaurant that i should visit there...

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

• 1 month later...
He might just be taking some time off, but I know he has been there longer than he originally planned.  My husband and I are fans of his also, so I will post any information I get.

1. sumac - any news on Gamba to report? Anyone else?

2. Anyone been to NoMI recently - update on what the Chef Christophe David is up to? Am curious to see how it has/has not changed since Gamba left.

ulterior epicure.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

The news is that Sandro is cooking in Hong Kong right now

:blink: Wow... that's awesome!! Headed there myself - any idea where I might find him? Oh, yummy, as if my trip to H.K. weren't sinfully tasty already!! :laugh:

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

The news is that Sandro is cooking in Hong Kong right now

:blink: Wow... that's awesome!! Headed there myself - any idea where I might find him? Oh, yummy, as if my trip to H.K. weren't sinfully tasty already!! :laugh:

u.e.

Well, bully for you but that's damn inconvenient for the rest of us! :wink:

I had a memorable lunch at NoMI as well. Glad I caught him while he was relatively nearby.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

He may be coming back eather to chicago or florida. I know that he had some visa trouble since he left NoMi he had to go back to France but I dont know where he is at in hong kong.

Thanks, youngchef, for the information. How did you happen to come by it? Are you in touch with chef Gamba?

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

• 3 months later...

Caught this news on June 6 at Hospitality.net:

Sandro Gamba has joined the pre-opening team at the Four Seasons Westlake Village as Executive Chef. Gamba, who was most recently consulting for the owners of Absinthe Brasserie in San Francisco, built his name as the Executive Chef at Nomi at the Park Hyatt Chicago and at the now shuttered Lespinasse at the St. Regis Washington DC. Gamba was one of Food and Wine's Best New Chefs a few years back and started his career with Joel Robuchon and Alain Ducasse.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com