• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your 2006 restaurant wish list?

ronnie_suburban

A conversation we started in the Heartland forum prompted one member to ask about a more worldly wish list of preferred culinary destinations for 2006.

I feel good about 2005 in that I finally made my pilgrimage to Pizzeria Bianco in Phoenix, AZ. I also made it to Jaques Imo's and Restaurant August in New Orleans and I got there before Katrina did.

In 2006, I really want to go to NY and I hope to hit at least a few high-end spots and Katz's too. In fact, I should probably just list Katz's first. :wink:

I also get to travel for work on occasion but at this point in time I'm not sure where I'll be heading in 2006. Another trip to Phoenix will hopefully take me to Binkley's. I could end up in Buenos Aires but I wouldn't even know where to begin there.

What are the restaurants you really hope to visit -- both near your home location and beyond -- in 2006?

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Hopefully by the end of the year I will have relocated to Hyde Park, NY. Where I will experience a few restaurants and hopefully one for an extended period of time. 10 points if you know what I am talking about. :wink:

Edited by M.X.Hassett (log)

Hopefully by the end of the year I will have relocated to Hyde Park, NY. Where I will experience a few restaurants and hopefully one for an extended period of time. 10 points if you know what I am talking about. :wink:

I'll take the ten points -- I need all I can get. Lucky you -- enjoy your time there and stay in-touch with us that we may live vicariously through you.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

I assume you speak of CIA, Matt?

So far on my NY-ish list are Babbo (can't believe it, but I've never been), Per Se, and Blue Hill at Stone Barns. More to come - am headed to Europe next year for the first time since I started earning my own money, and will need loads of advice! :biggrin:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

My 06 restaurant wish list is to eat as much street food as I can wherever my travels take me.

A worthy and admirable goal. :smile:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

My 2006 list includes Minibar, Gilt, Manresa, TFL, the Oval Room in DC for places I haven't yet been and repeats to Alinea, WD-50, Gary Danko and Jean-Georges. Unfortunately I don't have any high end plans outside the US, although I expect to eat very well during a trip to Mexico City. I would also love to get to Brinkley's in Phoenix.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

How could I forget Studio Kitchen when it was mentioned in the post directly above my own? :wacko:

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I'm looking forward to some relaxing meals at the end of long wine tasting days during a mid-February trek through the entire northern half of Italy.

As for more specific destinations, I'd love to make return visits to both WD-50 and Wallse and a first visit to Per Se during some long weekends in New York. At home in Philadelphia, I'm quite overdue for a return to Vetri.

How could I forget Studio Kitchen when it was mentioned in the post directly above my own? :wacko:

and how could I forget Minibar (feh...I am booked to fly out to ATL tmrw if I had remembered I would have AmTracked it down and spent the night in D.C....an exellent way to travel, decent sleeper cabins IMHO.

Edited by M.X.Hassett (log)

Can I have ten points, too? :-D Congratulations! What an experience that was. PM me for any insider-info, if you need it.

My hope is that I'll be actually working IN a restaurant! I'm enjoying the time off, wearing good shoes, pants that fit and getting to see my husband and kids a little bit (plus getting ready for a major kitchen renovation here and getting my book to an agent) ... but the Babe has gotta get a job. So I'm looking forward to some good family meals, hopefully eaten sitting down and for more than 5 minutes.

Oh -- and to eat again at Per Se (which we probably will in March), and Babbo.

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

My 2006 list includes Minibar, Gilt, Manresa, TFL, the Oval Room in DC for places I haven't yet been and repeats to Alinea, WD-50, Gary Danko and Jean-Georges. Unfortunately I don't have any high end plans outside the US, although I expect to eat very well during a trip to Mexico City. I would also love to get to Brinkley's in Phoenix.

Anyone wanting to try out Manresa in 2006 might want to mosey over to Pim's blog where, in return for a pledge of as little as $5 to help earthquake victims in Kashmir, you could win a $200 gift certificate for dinner at Manresa.

clb

The French Laundry. Since I probably won't make it to SF next year, Per Se will have to do. Others in NY: Jean Georges, and The Grocery. In the Philly area, Marigold Kitchen and Birchrunville Store Café. We’re probably going to Italy next year, so I’ll need some good recommendations for Florence.

M.X.Hassett, I was in dreamland when you posted this, but knew you were talking about CIA the second I saw Hyde Park, so do I get ten points too?

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany