• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A bit of white buttercream

Allura

I looked for, but didn't find, a "stupid baking questions" thread. :smile: We picked up a birthday cake at the local bakery, and got to talking about something we noticed. It was an all-chocolate cake - chocolate cake, fuge filling, buttercream icing. But right at the outer edge of the filling was some white butter cream. I've seen this a lot on chocolate cakes (which is about all my family gets :biggrin:); a bit of white buttercream on the edge of the filling, possibly on the sides a bit, as well. We were speculating why - I'm leaning towards icing the cake first so it's easier to see the spots? Am I close?

Curious!

Edited by Allura (log)

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

Guess I should have made that bet with my sister afterall. Thanks! Obviously, my baking skills don't include layer cakes, just single layers and cookie and such. No assembly required! :smile:

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

I looked for, but didn't find, a "stupid baking questions" thread. :smile: We picked up a birthday cake at the local bakery, and got to talking about something we noticed. It was an all-chocolate cake - chocolate cake, fuge filling, buttercream icing. But right at the outer edge of the filling was some white butter cream. I've seen this a lot on chocolate cakes (which is about all my family gets :biggrin:); a bit of white buttercream on the edge of the filling, possibly on the sides a bit, as well. We were speculating why - I'm leaning towards icing the cake first so it's easier to see the spots? Am I close?

Curious!

Allura,

The reason there is no "stupid baking questions" thread is because there are no stupid baking questions. As a novice baker who has never made layer cakes, I was not aware of the icing dam technique and have learned something from your post. The reason I love this forum so much is that all levels of bakers -- from novices like me to advanced home bakers such as PatrickS (who is also a great photographer :smile: ) and Ling, to the professionals such as Wendy, Nightscotsman and so many others -- we are all here to share, learn, and advance our skills. Keep those "stupid" questions coming! :biggrin:

Ilene

Curious!

Allura,

The reason there is no "stupid baking questions" thread is because there are no stupid baking questions. As a novice baker who has never made layer cakes, I was not aware of the icing dam technique and have learned something from your post. The reason I love this forum so much is that all levels of bakers -- from novices like me to advanced home bakers such as PatrickS (who is also a great photographer :smile: ) and Ling, to the professionals such as Wendy, Nightscotsman and so many others -- we are all here to share, learn, and advance our skills. Keep those "stupid" questions coming! :biggrin:

Great response Beanie!!!!! I couldn't agree more.......... all questions and thoughts on any level are welcome here.

Curious!

Allura,

Great response Beanie!!!!! I couldn't agree more.......... all questions and thoughts on any level are welcome here.

When I read Pastry and Baking I am always so impressed how the professionals share and help us home bakers without any attitude or pretense. E-Gullet is a wonderful place full of wonderful people, but I believe this part of it is the shining star of what it can and should be.