• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Asian Options in Tampa

chefbrendis

I'm a chef in DC and my in laws just moved to tampa and cannot find good asian food I'd love to hear about any good restaurants having real chinese, thai or vietnamese cuisine

If he is thin, I will probably dine poorly. If he is both thin and sad, the only hope is in flight.”

Fernand Point

Cirrcle Bistro, Potato Peeler

• 5 months later...
I'm a chef in DC and my in laws just moved to tampa and cannot find good asian food I'd love to hear about any good restaurants having real chinese, thai or vietnamese cuisine

For Chinese go to TC Choys in Hyde Park - a bit expensive though...

cheaper dim sum go to Ho Ho Choys on Fletcher near USF.

For Vietnamese go to either Pho Quyen or Saigon Palace. I thought Restaurant BT in Hyde Park was over priced and the food wasn't that great.

Sarione on Cypress is great for Korean food.

I couldnt tell you where to get good Thai from personal experience. I hear Jasmine Thai in Carollwood is as good place to go.

• 1 month later...

If anybody is checking out recent posts in the FL forum, you're probably getting the idea that I'm making some tentative Tampa dining plans, and looking for suggestions for good Asian food in Tampa. I am. My sister-in-law and I are going to see the Bodies exhibit at the Museum of Science and Industry, so that's the general area next weekend. We haven't narrowed it down for what kind of Asian food yet, and as much as we both love all kinds, we might eat Asian the whole weekend. We do have probable plans for good Chinese (not an egg roll or moo goo gai pan on the menu!) in Orlando on our way home, so most likely we won't pick that in Tampa.

We probably won't be searching for carpaccio after seeing the exhibit, but who knows...

Any ideas or updated recommendations are appreciated.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

I've been gathering recommendations and reviews, and it just might turn into a weekend of Asian eats. Can anybody add to my info by letting me know what they think the best Vietnamese restaurant in Tampa is?

I've been gathering recommendations and reviews, and it just might turn into a weekend of Asian eats.  Can anybody add to my info by letting me know what they think the best Vietnamese restaurant in Tampa is?

You are in luck. The North Tampa branch of Pho Quyen is less than 1 mile west of the MOSI where you are going to see the exhibit. The truth is, there are not that many Vietnamese restaurants in Tampa period. It's certainly not concentrated like the Colonial and Mills intersection in Orlando. However, I have found the food to be fresh and even my visiting brother from Toronto liked their Pho. You have to realize that there is a fairly sizable Vietnamese community in Toronto.

Okay for directions from MOSI,

Head west on Fowler Avenue. You are basically going to be driving along the southern border of the University of South Florida campus. After about 1/2 to 3/4 miles or so, you will see a larger intersection with a CVS on the left and a I think it's a Mobil station on the right. That road is Bruce B. Downs Blvd. Drive past that light and you will see a Chili's less than 100 feet from the intersection. Make a right at the light immediately after the Chili's. You will be turning into that shopping center and head towards the Kash n karry/Sweetbay at the back of the shopping center. Then you will make a left and you should see Pho Quyen. They are next to an Indian restaurant.

I think you will find the exhibit fascinating. i have seen it myself and it's just plain neat.

--Steve

Steve, I am really grateful for your help! Pho Quyen sounds perfect for the food and the location. We are staying close to the MOSI, too, so this should fall into place nicely.

It's good to hear that you liked the exhibit, as well. I'm really looking forward to it. Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...
Steve, I am really grateful for your help!  Pho Quyen sounds perfect for the food and the location.  We are staying close to the MOSI, too, so this should fall into place nicely.

It's good to hear that you liked the exhibit, as well.  I'm really looking forward to it.  Thanks again.

I may be too late on this one, but here goes:

I do like Pho Quyen, so I second that suggestion. Also, I love Trang Vietcuisine. It's not far past Pho Quyen, in fact. Coming from MOSI, you will pass the mall on the right, then (also on the right) after the Walgreens and Texaco, turn into the plaza for Trang. There is a pretty visible sign there, too.

I have been to several Thai places that I like, but unfortunately I can't think of one directly in the university area. If you're still interested, let me know and I will be happy to tell you where they are.

Beverly