• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner party for eight; no oven

FatTony

I've talked myself into cooking for my in-laws (eight of 'em) this Saturday night. The oven has since been pronounced broken beyond repair, leaving only the stove. As we'll be eating right next to the (open) kitchen, and I don't have a vent, and don't want to have windows open while we eat (it'll be freezing) I'd prefer not to generate too much fatty smoke, which kind of rules out seared/fried preprations. Dad doesn't eat fish and as the family are Jewish I'm going to avoid pork (dad eats pork chops in restaurants, but that's another thread).

All of which brings me to my question: what the hell am I going to cook?

Some of my logic so far: Make stuff in advance (but I don't want to serve cold food in December); stovetop braise; other one-pot dish; grill on the deck (but worried about acquiring charcoal at this time of year); fondue...

Wow, you don't make things easy on yourself, do you? :-)

My first thought was TAKE OUT! But thinking further ...

I think stovetop braising is your best bet ... it won't create any smoke, except perhaps for a small amount when you first brown the meat, but guests won't be there that early. Braises also make the kitchen smell really nice.

Make several vegetable sides ahead of time and keep them warm wrapped in foil in the (non-working) oven.

Have lots of bread and salad to go with the meal - and perhaps appetizers that also don't need the stove, such as olives, spreads, pate, etc.

Good luck!

"Did you see what Julia Child did to that chicken?" ... Howard Borden on "Bob Newhart"

Order in!!!! :laugh:

I do agree with what's been said above, though - stovetop braising is the way to go. Not too much smoke, easy to do, can be made ahead...

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

A few thoughts on warm, hearty, one-pot dishes:

- Coq au Vin (minus the bacon)

- Jambalaya (chicken, maybe w/non-pork sausage)

- Cassoulet (using non-pork sausage)

I am sure there are many others.

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

Yes, I have made things difficult for myself but I kind of like the challenge, you know? I guess I am leaning towards a braise, and a beef in red wine kind of deal could be great. On the other hand I was thinking Indian could work too, maybe a biriani and/or a curry, some spiced okra or spinach... I have a tiny toaster oven (forgot to mention that) so I guess naan could be warmed there.

Come to think of it, how does the toaster oven change things?

And thanks for the ideas, keep 'em coming!

Bring unto thy bosom a crock pot.

Give a sack of shekels to thy servant and instruct thy servant to fetch unto thee a portion of short ribs which is no more than 4 cubits in length. Also instruct thy servant to not by shortribs which contain pork, for they are an abomination in the eyes of thy mother. Nor shall thy servant purchase fish, for that is an abomination in the eyes of thy father. Instruct thy servant that in those ways lies damnation.

Once thy servant has returned with the short ribs, thou shalt shake forth thy sword from its scabbard and fall onto the aromatic herbs and vegetables which have come up from the ground as the lily does under the gentle sun and produce from them pieces no larger than your thumb, but containing no thumb-bits. For those are an abomination to thy aunt and thy wife who shall both fall onto thee with scorn should thumb-bits be left in the aromatic herbs and vegetables which have come up from the ground as the lily does.

Place all of these bits, the short ribs and the aromatic herbs and vegetables into the crock pot and add half of one wine skin to the crock pot. So shalt thou also add one whole stock skin to the crock pot. Yea, as the sun rises on the day you place heat to the crock pot, so shall the sun set on that day before you remove the crock pot from the provenance of your local electrical utility.

As thou hast fallen upon the aromatic herbs and vegetables with a sword, so shouldst thou fall upon the fat which rises to the top of the pot with a spoon, for it is an abomination your nephew Agamemniwhozits.

When thou dost serve this crock pot, thou shall have both thy pillar of salt and thy mortar of pepper by thy right hand, for they shall please you. Serve you not this with ketchup.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Sounds like a daube of beef recipe is along the right tracks (beef, red wine, etc.). Although most recipes call for this to be done in the oven, it can also be done over a low simmer on the stove top.

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

Perhaps you could concentrate on a variety of appetizer-like dishes and fill them up that way? :biggrin: Or how about tamales? They're a bit of an effort but very tasty, impressive and adaptable. Use schmaltz instead of lard, shredded beef, chicken and/or a vegetarian option, serve with a salad and beans/rice. AND they can be made ahead of time. Good luck!

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Some things that I was thinking about..

If you went Italian you could..

Have crostinis out when people arrive.. Do a white bean or chickpea.. And you can have chicken livers crostiini or a marscapone crustini with mushrooms or cauliflower.. You can even make pizza on the bbq!!! You can olives out..

For dinner you could serve:

Salad:

Tomato Mozzarella Salad or you could serve a breasola with bitter greens..

Soup:

You can make Italian Wedding, or Gezspacho, or a spicy seafood, or three beans, or a tripe soup, or many different kinds..

Pasta:

Tons of differnt kinds.. Or you can also make dumplings like a Malfatti..

Meat:

Now what you can do here is combine the meat and pasta course by adding a side of rissotto to the meat.. You have a grill and thats what I would do..I also dont have the ability to grill so I am jealous.. Steaks with a side of risotto..

Dessert:

I would make canollis, rice pudding, ice cream.. Buy biscotti.. Cheese courses..

Good luck.. Love to hear how it turns out..

Edited by Daniel (log)

Superb tips, all.

I should say these guys are not big eaters portion-wise but they will certainly appreciate the effort. So I'm thinking of just a few dishes but I want them to be great.

Daniel, your Italian feast has much potential. Another route I had been considering was Osso Buco with a risotto, maybe saffron? Or braised lamb shanks.

Not being a big braiser I was concerned about using the stove rather than the oven. The oven just seems like it would be a more even source of heat. Note to self: check out the braising thread...

Thought I'd let you know dinner went well. I ended up making a simple chicken liver pate and serving it with melba toast, cornichons and balsamic onions. The centerpiece was a mammoth pot of beef (chuck and round) marinated for 24 hours in red wine and aromatics, braised for about four hours and finished with orange juice and zest. They finished the whole pot! Alongside I served sweet potatoes pureed with reduced apple cider and ginger, pan fried polenta cakes, sauted wild mushrooms with gremolata and a big old green salad. Bought dessert in.

The stovetop worked pretty well in the end. I didn't get away entirely without smoke as the polenta cakes needed to be fried at the last minute, but I really wanted something crisp.

Thanks to all for the suggestions!