• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wild Women Wreck Dinner

Busboy

Just piping in to add another vote of love for the Red Hat Ladies.

You don't have to be 75 to join do you?   I thought it was 50+ and I also thought they were widows...(in which case I hope I never get to join...)

They all look just like they did when they were 30. It's part of the deal, I think.

Are any of them single? I love women who wear red and purple. :wub:

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

At the risk of sounding like a complete moron, may I ask what Red Hat Ladies and Sweet Potato Queens are?  Sorry to interupt.

chef - Red Hat Ladies are groups of women age 50+ who get together for social gatherings based on a poem including the lines...when i am an old woman i will wear a purple dress with a red hat. kinda between Junior Woman's Club and the Senior Center...http://www.redhatsociety.com/

now the Sweet Potato Queens have mush more of a southern flavor. currently we are using the newest book to help a coworker through the "suprise" divorce her husband asked her for...http://www.sweetpotatoqueens.com/spq/

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I know of two groups of women who regularly get together for a good time. One group enjoys dining at very upscale NYC restaurants where they become very noisy. This group used to work together and were noisy in the cafeteria, meetings or any other place that brought them together. They do not need liquor to get going, they feed off each other. I've heard some of the tales of these dinners and can only thank my lucky stars that I was not a witness. They are all outspoken and loud and enjoy each others company immensely. They have a great time together and I'm sure some of the other diners are entertained by the show. At the same time, I feel sorry for those who might have planned on a more formal meal without the sideshow.

The second group are all related to each other and take an annual weekend trip to some resort. It sounds like summer camp! There is lots of drinking and dancing and pranks. They have a great time but I'm sure there are others staying at the resort who have asked to have their rooms changed.

KathyM

Oh, man, dining with the Red Hat ladies deserves it's own thread!

The current discussion is probably a bit too twisted up for us to cleanly extraxt these posts elsewhere, but if one of you lovely posters feels they have enough to say to start a new thread based around these err... Red Hatters, then please do so. It does seem like a totally different vibe than that of a pack of somewhat drunk 20-somethings. But please stick to food-related stories, of course, if you do so--the group is interesting, but we need that connection for it to be on-topic here.

Jack... I thought it was just a Linux distro too. :raz:

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"