• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wild Women Wreck Dinner

Busboy

Ask Amy

Unfortunately, on several occasions our meal has been interrupted by raucous, shrill and spine-tingling shrieks from tables of women.

If we were patronizing bars I might understand, but not in a four-star establishment.

Major trend or more whining from geezer diners?

I confess, perhaps because I try to eat late, that I run into the phenomenon more often than the obnoxious kiddies of lore.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Could be worse. They could be Sweet Potato Queens wearing fake tiaras. Nobody can shriek quite like a gaggle of Sweet Potato Queens in tiaras.

Then again, as happened to me at a Cracker Barrel in Ronda, N.C., last spring: You could be surrounded by a meeting of the Red Hat Society. There aren't many dinner choices in Ronda. The red hat ladies were just the icing on my joyful serving of country-fried cake.

Kathleen Purvis, food editor, The Charlotte (NC) Observer

Heh. While I have not personally been guilty of the shrieking-female group phenomenon, I have on several occasions been party to parties of shrieking male diners.

I should explain that this was back in my twenties, when I was the token female member of a friendship group of gay men.

I should also add that these guys had the good taste to never get carried away like that in high-class restaurants (they'd instead be greeting the cuisine with ooohs and aaahs in reverently hushed tones, as would be more appropriate in such settings). We only carried on like that in places where such behavior was relatively acceptable, and the noise level was pretty high already.

But, ah, yeah, I guess we could get pretty danged loud and, erm, "festive" when we really got rolling. :blush::laugh:

Edited by mizducky (log)

Could be worse. They could be Sweet Potato Queens wearing fake tiaras. Nobody can shriek quite like a gaggle of Sweet Potato Queens in tiaras.

Then again, as happened to me at a Cracker Barrel in Ronda, N.C., last spring: You could be surrounded by a meeting of the Red Hat Society. There aren't many dinner choices in Ronda. The red hat ladies were just the icing on my joyful serving of country-fried cake.

I was once seated next to a group of the Red Hat Ladies at the Fairgrounds during a day at the races. They were absolutely entertaining, really enjoying themselves and their surroundings and, of course, I was compelled to turn on the supercharm. By the end of the day, I had 10 new girlfriends, all of whom seemed to be competing for my wily charms by plying me with corned beef sandwiches (Fairgrounds Specialty and damned good-I'll be happy when I get a chance to eat another, if I ever do) and strong drink. They were really fun, though most of them were pretty much old enough to be my grandmother.

Seriously.

Now, as for the SPQ's, it so happens that a couple of real ones (the Jackson kind) are friends of mine. They are well behaved at certain times, and at times, they are pretty far from girls that you would want to take home and introduce to Mama. That parade, the one that begins and ends at Hal and Mal's, in Jackson, is one of the most entertaining parades on earth -though there is a near solid whine of squeeling in the air for the whole day, as all of the Wannabe Queens behave poorly in public for their public. As a guy from New Orleans who knows something about both poor behavior and parades, I would rate this one pretty highly from a purely fun standpoint. I don't really get the SPQ thing, but I have to say that it has it's charms for the casual and easily entertained observer of bad acting women.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Oh, man, dining with the Red Hat ladies deserves it's own thread! Joiei was visiting here (KC) a week ago and we ran into a gaggle of them -- we chose another area in the interest of being able to converse. I seem to be a magnet for them, especially when I travel, having run into them from Cape Cod to Vashon Island and all points in between.

Girls just wanna have fun (at any age, apparently). I'm a little ashamed of Mayhaw Man, flirting shamelessly for corned beef sandwiches and 'strong drink'. Didn't you feel a little cheap and tawdry? :wink:

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

I'm a little ashamed of Mayhaw Man, flirting shamelessly for corned beef sandwiches and 'strong drink'.  Didn't you feel a little cheap and tawdry?  :wink:

You know, basically, I am a little cheap and tawdry. Oddly though, I never feel that way.

And a world where it's wrong to flirt with old ladies in return for corned beef and whiskey is not one that I wish to be a part of.

I was the token female member of a friendship group of gay men.

And how about a few guys who have a number of beers and the volume of their conversation ratchets upward? Many of our local Georgia Good Old Boys can be heard all over a dining room when they are "juiced." Not always fastidious in their references to various topics ... :unsure: Not solely the purview of the female sex.

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I'm a little ashamed of Mayhaw Man, flirting shamelessly for corned beef sandwiches and 'strong drink'.  Didn't you feel a little cheap and tawdry?  :wink:

You know, basically, I am a little cheap and tawdry. Oddly though, I never feel that way.

And a world where it's wrong to flirt with old ladies in return for corned beef and whiskey is not one that I wish to be a part of.

If you'll re-read my post you'll see that the word "wrong" never comes into play. I just think you should hold out for, oh -- I don't know -- something better, or...oh, never mind. You're did right.

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

AMEN to that, sir! And why did I never run into the Red Hat ladies on Vashon? :sad:

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

At the risk of sounding like a complete moron, may I ask what Red Hat Ladies and Sweet Potato Queens are? Sorry to interupt.

And mayhaw, don't these people realize that you probably made these fine old gals day, just smiling and being sociable? Geez, you do the world and these ladies a favor and you get castigated! Why bother sometimes, you know? LOL.

AMEN to that, sir! And why did I never run into the Red Hat ladies on Vashon? :sad:

This strikes me as very funny considering the lunch I have coming up and the very self-degrading comments made by my lunch companion who is in no means an old lady and is very young at heart IMHO. I did though hold out for a wee bit more then whisky and corned beef :raz::wink: So here here, what would the world be if this very essence of life was ended. On the other hand there are a number of places I frequent that I can no longer bear to eat or imbibe at on Fri and Sat due to wild women and men.

And mayhaw, don't these people realize that you probably made these fine old gals day, just  smiling and being sociable?  Geez, you do the world and these ladies a favor and you get castigated!  Why bother sometimes, you know?  LOL.

All in good fun, I assure you. I'm certain a good time was had by all. :raz:

M.F.K. Fisher

Girls just wanna have fun (at any age, apparently).  I'm a little ashamed of Mayhaw Man, flirting shamelessly for corned beef sandwiches and 'strong drink'.  Didn't you feel a little cheap and tawdry?  :wink:

Bring on the Belles du Chapeau Rouge! I'd be thrilled to flirt with them just for their company. A corned beef sandwich would be a bonus.

Next up: Finagling a moon pie from the Sweet Potato Queens.

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

You know I swear in the last 4 states i have lived in i keep running into them red-hat ladies, I am almost convinced they are a cult :)

They are just a bunch of ladies who have to much free time on their hands , and maybe money. I have seen them frequent many establishment that have Tea time or public areas so as to be seen. Not to be missed by their gawdy big red hats purchased at hallmark.

I belong to a group of Women Who Dine (not Ladies Who Lunch) of a certain age who call ourselves the "Crusty Old Broads." It is true that we get a little rowdy and loud sometimes. During one of our earlier gatherings, a woman of our own age gave us such ugly looks, but I figure she was just jealous because she clearly wasn't having nearly as much fun with her dining companion. However, we are not totally insensitive, and after that, we decided we should take our lowdown selves to places that wouldn't mind a little noise for future dinners. This is why we now avoid "nice" restaurants and hang out in barbecue joints and bars that serve burgers. We do try not to scare the young and tender too much. :laugh:

Edited by chile_peppa (log)
"It is a fact that he once made a tray of spanakopita using Pam rather than melted butter. Still, though, at least he tries." -- David Sedaris

I have a Red Hat. And the obligatory purple dress. We go to tea, we laugh, we nibble delicately at dainty sandwiches, we regale each other (and very few of the surrounding tables) with tales of our grandchildren, our gardens, what we are reading at the moment. We commiserate over illnesses, mates' doings, drive our fellow members to chemo, cry together when one loses her valiant battle, rejoice when an absent face is again at the table. We lift a glass to the words "remission" and "recovery." We celebrate re-birth days as avidly as sixteen-year-olds enjoy their proms.

Lately my conversation has been spiked with references to my dear online "friends" who so charmingly and eruditely speak of all things gustatory and delicious. As a result, I'm sure there have been quite a few visitors to this site, and probably a few of us certain-age crimson-chapeaux have joined in the fun.

We celebrate LIFE in every way ladies can do so without embarrassing ourselves or annoying others. Gasps of laughter, giggles behind demure hands, the occasional guffaw at a really funny moment---those are our moments of humor and joy and celebration.

And aside from a little girl dressed up as a princess, there's no more imposing sight in this world than a group of women in hats with their purses firmly on their arms. We're a force to be reckoned with, no shrieks necessary.

I am just waiting for the day that I am 'old enough' to join the Red Hat Ladies. It's amazing to me that at my age, there is still something that I am not 'old enough' to do :smile: I can't wait. They always seem to be having such a great time. I don't care how loud and annoying they get, they have earned it. They aren't slouching around feeling sorry for themselves...they are standing tall and proud and they are still in the game and that is a wonderful thing.

I personally am waiting for my 75th birthday, when I shall don the Red Hat, and backed by a group of my similarly clad cronies, march into the finest restaurant in the vicinity, march up to a well dressed young man, snatch the pork chop right off his plate, hop on his lap and holler 'ya weren't gonna eat that, were ya, Sonny?' It's a crazy little old lady fantasy of mine :smile:

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

Well put, racheld and I'm with you badiane -- I am happy to know I'm too young for anything these days!

Edited to add:

If you're in Chicago, beware of strange men driving PT Cruisers! :smile:

Edited by moosnsqrl (log)

M.F.K. Fisher

Well put, racheld and I'm with you badiane -- I am happy to know I'm too young for anything these days!

Edited to add:

Surely you mean, "Beware of men with gorgeous gams driving PT Cruisers!" :raz:

And since we've broached the subject in the "Wild Women" thread, let it be known that Pontormo herself wants me to dress up and join the Ladies Who Lunch brigade. Just where DO they sell the red hat & purple dress ensemble, RachelD?

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

Edited to add:

Surely you mean, "Beware of men with gorgeous gams driving PT Cruisers!" :raz:

And since we've broached the subject in the "Wild Women" thread, let it be known that Pontormo herself wants me to dress up and join the Ladies Who Lunch brigade. Just where DO they sell the red hat & purple dress ensemble, RachelD?

Jumping in on behalf of Rachel, because I just can't resist--clickie here

Surely you mean, "Beware of men with gorgeous gams driving PT Cruisers!"  :raz:

No, I meant strange, just like I said. And stop calling me Shirley! :raz:

OK, my apologies for veering off-topic. Please forgive.

M.F.K. Fisher

Just piping in to add another vote of love for the Red Hat Ladies.

You don't have to be 75 to join do you? I thought it was 50+ and I also thought they were widows...(in which case I hope I never get to join...)

Just piping in to add another vote of love for the Red Hat Ladies.

You don't have to be 75 to join do you?  I thought it was 50+ and I also thought they were widows...(in which case I hope I never get to join...)

They all look just like they did when they were 30. It's part of the deal, I think.