• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to find pork fat?

mrsadm

Has anyone received a strange look from their local butcher if you ask for pork fat?

I would like to make my own lard for Mexican dishes. The stuff in the box is hydrogenated.

However, it seems like every time I ask the meat counter guy (at Wegman's) for something, they say no one buys that stuff and we don't carry it. They don't even carry pork shoulder for stews.

Then I read an article somewhere recently where someone wanted to make their own lard and they had to order the fat from Flying Pigs' farm. That sounds a bit expensive to me!

What are your sources?

"Did you see what Julia Child did to that chicken?" ... Howard Borden on "Bob Newhart"

Try ethnic butchers. Wegmans is likely getting the meat pre-cut and cryovaced from the plant wheras ethnic butchers are probably getting whole carcasses and disassembling themselves which means they have lots of funny stuff they'll give away practically free. Alternatively, what I like to do is to buy a nice fatty roast and then trim off all the surface fat and render it myself.

PS: I am a guy.

I can get it from either store in town, including Safeway. They do trim up the meat a little, even though they get it in boxes. I just ask them to save the trimmings until they get 5 pounds and then give me a call. No one has ever charged me for this.

I've done what Abra has done. Heck, the first time I asked for it, I got 12 pounds, free!

Trimmings are also nice in that you have less fabrication to do before you render it.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

I ordered a pork belly to make my own bacon. I was given a 10 pound piece so I made braised "fresh" bacon with 5 pounds of it. The extra liquid ent into the fridge over night and no I must have A year's worth of lard that came floating to the top. It's gorgeous and flavorful.

Edited by rancho_gordo (log)

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

You might be able to find it at a farmers' market. There is a stand in New York city that cells leaf lard (which makes the very best pork fat) at both Union Square in Manhattan and Grand Army Plaza in Brooklyn. I use it all the time for pastry and biscuits. If you have a Chinese market nearby, and can make yourself understood, that would also be a good source

Ruth Friedman

It was probably my post that you read about Flying Pigs Farm. I have ordered their leaf lard and rendered it myself, but I would only concern myself with leaf lard if I wanted to make a high-quality pie crust.

In general, when I want lard, I can either pick it up from a butcher or I buy some pieces of pork fatback (not salted), cut it into small cubes and render it myself. I have done this when I needed some to seal jars of duck confit or just wanted a little for cooking.

I would NOT recommend getting a commercially packaged lard as sometimes it is very strong or has off flavors. Large grocery stores sometimes have it but you usually have to ask someone in the back. If not, they should at least be able to get you some fatback (be sure to specify that you do not want salted fatback or salt pork because, even though you can blanch it, it is hard to get all of the salt out.)

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

I am looking for a source for thick back fat for lardo. All my sources are telling me that pigs these days aren't fattened enough to creat thick fat for that purpose, even in small organic farms. Any one know where to find good thick fat out on the west coast?

You might be able to find it at a farmers' market. There is a stand in New York city that cells leaf lard (which makes the very best pork fat) at both Union Square in Manhattan and Grand Army Plaza in Brooklyn. I use it all the time for pastry and biscuits. If you have a Chinese market nearby, and can make yourself understood, that would also be a good source

Flying Pigs Farm sells at both the Union Square and Grand Army Plaza markets, so that is probably them. As I recall, it's like $3.75 per package of leaf lard and I was able to get over a quart of rendered lard from a package.

Edited by mikeycook (log)

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

I am looking for a source for thick back fat for lardo. All my sources are telling me that pigs these days aren't fattened enough to creat thick fat for that purpose, even in small organic farms. Any one know where to find good thick fat out on the west coast?

I am sorry I can't remember the name, but I know there is someone in San Francisco who is trying to make parma-style raw-cured hams. I would think these pigs would be ideal, assuming they are being raised as "baconers" to ensure they have enough weight and fat. You might look into places that make their own charcuterie and see if you can find their sources.

~ Fernand Point

If you want to check out the NYC farmer's markets, Flying Pigs Farms says you can call on Thursday nights before 8pm to make sure they are going to be in the city on Friday and Saturday.

~ Fernand Point

Down my way, it is getting hard to find good fat. When it gets to be deer hunting season, fat becomes a valuable commodity. (Sausage making.) There is no free fat. Lately, I have had a terrible time finding good hard back and belly fat with no meat trimmings in it. You can make decent tan lard out of that but it is no good for the pure white, non-porky type that is good for pastries (first method here). An ethnic market with a real butcher is the best bet.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Down my way, it is getting hard to find good fat. When it gets to be deer hunting season, fat becomes a valuable commodity. (Sausage making.) There is no free fat. Lately, I have had a terrible time finding good hard back and belly fat with no meat trimmings in it. You can make decent tan lard out of that but it is no good for the pure white, non-porky type that is good for pastries (first method here). An ethnic market with a real butcher is the best bet.

We haven't found good salt pork (my South Carolina wife calls it fat back) in years. I believe it went away when the fat pigs and lard did. Jowls are not a good substitute.

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.

• 5 years later...