• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

One eGullet dish which was so alluring, enticing

Thanks for this, Matt, but I am so simple that I could never read through all of the in-depth information before hunger overtakes me ... one hot photograph can make me completely crazy enough to try the recipe immediately!  :laugh:

Ah, this is why one must never ever under any circumstances no matter how dire ever read eG while hungry unless you have food very close to the proximity of your computer. This is one reason why it is dangerous to read the Fine Spirits and Cocktail forum to early in the day :wink: Luckily I am on a powerbook so I have actually read and posted on threads while cooking or digging in the fridge in the kitchen :raz: . It is probably how this thread came into being Click

Melissa, what a great (and excruciating painful & difficult to narrow down to one choice) topic!

I did enjoy the alluring, enticing roasted cauliflower thread very much.

Somewhat categorized: if I had to chose just one thing to compose my dream day of meals:

• Breakfast: anything Percy makes, oh man -- those eggs he fries up!
    Lunch: anything Megan Blocker eats -- she eats well
    Dinner: anything Daniel makes -- he's the man
    Dessert: anything Ling eats tied with anything PatrickS bakes -- fantastic
    Drink: anything Sam Kinsey concocts (and I don't even imbibe :raz: )
    or everything in hzrtw8's pictorials. I'm in love :wub:

But, alas my final answer is:

The one eGullet dish and recipe that I absolutely adore would be Rachel Perlow's Eggplant Cutlets and Layered Eggplant Parmesan.

Whew.....

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

Somewhat categorized: if I had to chose just one thing to compose my dream day of meals: 

• Breakfast:  anything Percy makes, oh man -- those eggs he fries up!
    Lunch:  anything Megan Blocker eats -- she eats well
    Dinner: anything  Daniel makes -- he's the man
    Drink:  anything Sam Kinsey concocts (and I don't even imbibe :raz: )
    or everything in hzrtw8's pictorials.  I'm in love  :wub:

The one eGullet dish and recipe that I absolutely adore would be Rachel Perlow's Eggplant Cutlets and Layered Eggplant Parmesan.

Ok so we have the BoH and bar staff for "Restaurant eG" now who is going to take care of the FoH operations.

Add another vote for roasted caulilfower. Just made it again tonight.

Jaymes' salsa. I haven't made it in awhile, but I saw that recipe and knew I had to try it.

And carnitas. Oh, I thank the day I found eGullet every time I make them - made them again yesterday, and they were nearly perfect.

What makes the recipes so attractive is first that they sound delicious. Second, they're a departure from what I've been doing without being too difficult or time consuming. (Not that time consuming is necessarily bad, but these days I simply don't have that kind of time to devote to something that's going to be devoured in 9 minutes or less.) And third, they fit in to our eating plan - I'm always looking for new dishes to incorporate!

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

Does it count if I actually tasted it at the source?

Davethecook's shrimp from the Pig Pickin. I went home and made it the next day, and a few weeks later and last week too.

I also tasted Larb and roasted cauliflower...the cauliflower is OK

I also made the winning entry in the chewy chocolate chip cookie thread...YUMMIES

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

1. Onion confit

2. Larb, laab, larp

3. Tator Tots (and it isn't as if I'd never had them, but the Tator Tot thread forced me to have them again, as if I'd never really tasted them)!

4. Curry - thought I hated it, but then learned how different curries could be.

5. Roux. Yeah, I've grown up with gumbo and made it a million times, but hadn't made my own dark roux in many years. Felt shamed into doing it.

Countless others.

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

I also made the winning entry in the chewy chocolate chip cookie thread...YUMMIES

tracey

I searched the recipe database and did a few topic searches yet I can not locate your recipe or the "chewy chocolate chip cookie thread". If you could either post it to the RecipeGullet or direct link it to this topic it would be appreciated. Thanks.

• Breakfast:  anything Percy makes, oh man -- those eggs he fries up!
    Lunch:  anything Megan Blocker eats -- she eats well
    Dinner: anything  Daniel makes -- he's the man
    Drink:  anything Sam Kinsey concocts (and I don't even imbibe :raz: )
    or everything in hzrtw8's pictorials.  I'm in love  :wub:

Ok so we have the BoH and bar staff for "Restaurant eG" now who is going to take care of the FoH operations.

I call Bar Manager!!! :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Many, many things on eG have sent me to my cookbooks and kitchen and made me hungry but in particular I would mention Lucy's Tartiflette.

N.

Absolutely.

I attempted this fabulous dish using available ingredients within one hour of Lucy's posting, albeit a smaller version for one person. Delicious ! :wub:

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

My latest is Chufi's braised beef. Because we had Chufi's discussion about restraint with the two bay leaves and two cloves, I did it just as she said and it was incredible, sublime, and is now in my repertoire forever. It occurs to me that if I had just seen this recipe in a book, I would have dismissed it as absurd. But with Chufi's discussion, and all of her discussions that have let me know her a bit, and with the pictures, I knew I had to try it. Only in this special place could that happen, never in a book.

That is just the latest. There have been many similar experiences.

Then there is onion confit, roasted cauliflower, braising techniques, Paula Wolfert getting me addicted to clay pot cooking, what to do with those stupid chuck steaks, the magic of tater tots . . .

This is ridiculous.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

definitely the roasted cauliflower, and now with hzrt8w's chinese pictorials, particularly this crab in ginger and onion dish that looks so much like my mom's that i'm drooling. i haven't had a chance to try it yet, but once i have more free time, there won't be a single crab in the city of san diego that will be safe from me! :raz:

Edited by sassybat (log)

My latest is Chufi's braised beef. Because we had Chufi's discussion about restraint with the two bay leaves and two cloves, I did it just as she said and it was incredible, sublime, and is now in my repertoire forever. It occurs to me that if I had just seen this recipe in a book, I would have dismissed it as absurd. But with Chufi's discussion, and all of her discussions that have let me know her a bit, and with the pictures, I knew I had to try it. Only in this special place could that happen, never in a book.

That is just the latest. There have been many similar experiences.

Then there is onion confit, roasted cauliflower, braising techniques, Paula Wolfert getting me addicted to clay pot cooking, what to do with those stupid chuck steaks, the magic of tater tots . . .

This is ridiculous.

Oh Gosh!! I had forgotten all about the Tater-Tot thread. That did cause me to trundle down to the market late at night, just before closing in point of fact, to pick up a bag or two and then try various ways of preparing them. Fortunately I did not have to work the following day. I think I went to bed about 4:30 a.m., when I am usually getting up. It really confused my dogs, not to mention my housekeeper who wandered into the kitchen while I heating up the oil in the fryer and wanted to know what the hell I was doing. Well, that was the gist of it. She speaks excellent English, but when very sleepy, often some Hungarian creeps in and we have a bit of communication tie-up.

I found that dipping in sour cream, when they are crisply baked or fried, is my favorite way of eating them.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I haven't yet made Chufi's Almond cookies but I've got everything together to make them. I love almond pasty things.

I made them on Sunday and something must have gotten lost in the recipe translation. They spread 'til they were flatter than pancakes--didn't hardly look at all like Chufi's picture, save the almond and glaze on top.

Not sure, but I think more flour is needed. Or something else. Or both. If anyone knows, please let me know!

Angela

"I'm not looking at the panties, I'm looking at the vegetables!" --RJZ

Yes Roast Cauliflower! I made my husband a cauliflower convert with that!

Fried chicken. I never would have attempted that if it wasn't for the cook-off. Reading about it in cookbooks I always thought: what's the big deal about frying chicken? Now I know :smile:

I made them on Sunday and something must have gotten lost in the recipe translation.  They spread 'til they were flatter than pancakes--didn't hardly look at all like Chufi's picture, save the almond and glaze on top.

Not sure, but I think more flour is needed.  Or something else.  Or both.  If anyone knows, please let me know! 

Angela

I am sorry about that Angela. I checked both recipes (the one in Recipe Gullet and the one in the thread), and the proportions are right, and it's the exact same recipe I used in the pictorial. Did you convert to other measurements, maybe that's where it went wrong?

If you would like to discuss it some more maybe we should do that in the Dutch Cooking thread.

tracey

I searched the recipe database and did a few topic searches yet I can not locate your recipe or the "chewy chocolate chip cookie thread". If you could either post it to the RecipeGullet or direct link it to this topic it would be appreciated. Thanks.

I just had to run and pull some out of the oven...really

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=78845

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Just ONE? OK, so far, I'd have to say the winner was Chufi's sukerbole...

gallery_26775_1880_190550.jpg

But the latkes I made tonight are close behind...

gallery_26775_1623_25038.jpg

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007