• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

One eGullet dish which was so alluring, enticing

I just had to run and pull some out of the oven...really

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=78845

tracey

Thanks for the recipe for Matt, Tracey! He is visiting his parents over the Christmas holidays here in Atlanta and I will remind him to log on to find the recipe.

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I just had to run and pull some out of the oven...really

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=78845

tracey

Thanks for the recipe for Matt, Tracey! He is visiting his parents over the Christmas holidays here in Atlanta and I will remind him to log on to find the recipe.

Thanks Tracy

Melissa I never ever forget to logon sometimes I fall asleep and forget to log off but never to log on, speaking of which I should log off now if I expect to have lunch tomorrow :wink:

I've yet to make anything, but I'll get there.

On my list:

Macarons--I'll reread the thread and decide which one to make

Snowangel's burnt sugar cake in the muffin thread

Pichet Ong's pate choux

Chocolate Cake from the Best Chocolate Cake thread

Marshmallows

There are lots more, I'm sure.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

What have I not been inspired to cook on eG?

Here's one example. Yesterday I had an errand in Chinatown. All of those threads in the China and Elsewhere in Asia forums kept coming to mind. It has become so much easier to imagine preparing all kinds of things at home that I never would have thought of! A couple of years ago, my radar for certain things was limited to what I had learned in cooking lessons in Beijing, and now when I go through an Asian grocery I find myself reading labels and being able to judge the things they have much more easily. Now my trips to Chinatown are much more fruitful and entertaining.

Another thing is the Pastry & Baking forum. Although I can't really participate since where I live the flour is different, that doesn't stop me from being inspired again and again by all of the beautiful wonderful desserts that people are making.

What particular posts or threads have inspired me enough to change my habits? Definitely the EgCI classes. MobyPs pasta threads got me making pasta (much cheaper and better than buying it, and easy!), and I have gotten in the habit of preparing consomee regularly. I also get a lot of inspiration from the dinner thread. Another thing that eG has done is to inspire me to share what I learn on a daily basis. :smile:

I'm guessing it doesn't have to be just one dish. :smile:

Roasted cauliflower. I don't think we've cooked cauliflower any other way in the past year.

The tuna melt thread stuck in my head for a whole week before I succumbed and made them for a Friday night dinner.

Tots. Korova cookies. Larb.

Next on my list: marshmallows, onion confit, latkes, Chufi's boterkoek. And that's just what I can recall right now!

Yes Roast Cauliflower! I made my husband a cauliflower convert with that!

Fried chicken. I never would have attempted that if it wasn't for the cook-off. Reading about it in cookbooks I always thought: what's the big deal about frying chicken? Now I know  :smile:

I made them on Sunday and something must have gotten lost in the recipe translation.  They spread 'til they were flatter than pancakes--didn't hardly look at all like Chufi's picture, save the almond and glaze on top.

Not sure, but I think more flour is needed.  Or something else.  Or both.  If anyone knows, please let me know! 

Angela

I am sorry about that Angela. I checked both recipes (the one in Recipe Gullet and the one in the thread), and the proportions are right, and it's the exact same recipe I used in the pictorial. Did you convert to other measurements, maybe that's where it went wrong?

If you would like to discuss it some more maybe we should do that in the Dutch Cooking thread.

No, I used exactly the measurements in the US recipe. They were pretty and brown and shiny like yours, just all flat. <g> Tasted really good, in spite of their looks.

Angela

"I'm not looking at the panties, I'm looking at the vegetables!" --RJZ

Everyone's Pichet Ong's pate choux came out so neat and brown and round ... mine, of course, was more free form and all over the place (like it even matters!):

gallery_10011_1589_1694.jpg and the creme patissiere had not set up properly ... :shock: but no one even looked .. just dug in and they disappeared instantaneously ...

And I had forgotten about Tater Tots until Jason started rhapsodizing about them and I had to buy a few bags to see why he raved about them .... soon I remembered .. and put on even more excess poundage :huh:

Fair to say that eGullet can be dangerous to one's health? :blink:

I just thought of another one: this cabbage dish that Keven72 made in his Year of Italian Cooking thread (scroll to the end of the post for the cabbage). It's incredibly simple - just cabbage, olive oil and garlic - but it's sooo good! I've made it 4 times since November. The first time I saw that pic I just had to make it!

I was most inspired by the Perlow's Trip down to New Orleans.. After seeing Willy Mae's Fried Chicken and the Stuffed Po Boy at Liuzza's.. I dont think I slept well until I went to both places.. :biggrin:

Jasons Photos

gallery_2_0_66850.jpg

gallery_2_0_118121.jpg

I remember that I had changed my main course entree on two separate years for Rosh Hashonah all because of eGullet!

one year I made brisket, thanks to Al Dente, and the second year I made stuffed cabbage rolls, thanks to Malawry ... on each occasion, I had purchased a turkey which wound up in the freezer ... :angry:

• 2 weeks later...

Rachel Perlow's Rainbow Jello

I've been wanting to make this for over 2 years! And this week, I made a variation for a "Diversity Pot Luck" at work. I made it into "Jigglers" since I didn't have a nice mold, and I thought it would be fun to have finger food. Came out great and people really ooh and ahh over this simple dessert (even if it IS only Jello...!)

Here are 2 pics - one is the before pic, when I had just unmolded it from an 8" x 8" cake pan. The other is the finished product, ready to serve.

Jellouncut5.jpg

jigglers08.jpg

Edited by Randi (log)

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

Rachel Perlow's Rainbow Jello

I've been wanting to make this for over 2 years!  And this week, I made a variation for a "Diversity Pot Luck" at work.  I made it into "Jigglers" since I didn't have a nice mold, and I thought it would be fun to have finger food.  Came out great and people really ooh and ahh over this simple dessert (even if it IS only Jello...!)

Here are 2 pics - one is the before pic, when I had just unmolded it from an 8" x 8" cake pan.  The other is the finished product, ready to serve.

Very impressive. That must have taken some considerable time and patience.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Very impressive.  That must have taken some considerable time and patience.

Actually, Anna, somewhere in the depths of the files of eGullet, Rachel Perlow explains that it is not particularly difficult ... to me it looks quite complex ... :huh:

The first item I had to make, shortly after I joined were French Macarons from the Macaroons: The Delicate French Invention thread.

The most recent item was Kletzenbrot (an Austrian/German Pear Fruitcake) that I learned about in Adam Balic’s recent mini-blog about visiting Graz and Vienna here.

In between, too many to mention all of the great inspirations but including items from such classic threads as the carnitas and roasted cauliflower ones mentioned above. Also the Aviation Cocktail and martinis made with Hendrick’s gin.

Some of the next items on deck:

Hzt8w’s: Ma Po Tofu from her terrific series on Chinese home cooking. I'm sure I'll make other dishes as well.

Chufi’s Dutch Butter Beef from her thread on traditional Dutch cooking. (also the speculaas cookies)

and

Thai Khao Soi Curry Noodles inspired from the recent cookoff already including egullet participants from Thailand, Iowa and Paris!

No disappointments so far!

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Very impressive.  That must have taken some considerable time and patience.

Actually, Anna, somewhere in the depths of the files of eGullet, Rachel Perlow explains that it is not particularly difficult ... to me it looks quite complex ... :huh:

Time, and therefore, patience, yes. Skill, not so much. :laugh: It really is a breeze. Altho there were some things I figured out as I went along, so if someone wants to make this, I have a few tips.

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne