• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dover Canyon

Chris Cognac

just an advance notice for eG folks....my wine panel just did the "end of year best wine" tasting this evening and the Dover Canyon "Old Vine Zin" won hands down. There was no doubt about it, it was head and shoulders above every other wine my panel tasted this year for the Daily Breeze newspaper review. We tasted several hundred wines this year and it came out on top....just wanted to say great job to Mary and the Dover Canyon crew.....if you can get a bottle, go buy it!

Great job guys

Chris

PS the article will be published on the 30th

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

Thanks everyone for your inquiries. Unfortunately, Dover Canyon wines are only distributed in California, North Carolina (long story) and Florida. At chromedome's suggestion earlier this year, we've been discussing distribution in Canada, but our wines sell out so quickly that we decided against it. We are still looking at Washington and Oregon, and hope to find some distribution there as that's my home turf and I visit the PacNW frequently.

We produced only 8 barrels of the Old Vine Zinfandel, and after the San Francisco Chronicle gave it a thumbs up, we sold out immediately. I even sold bottles with damaged labels that we had set aside. :blink: I did a search just now on winesearcher.com and can't find any available in the stores, however, it doesn't hurt to inquire if there is a store near you.

We will have a slightly larger production of the 2004 vintage available in March of 2006. Additionally, more good news for us, as I reported in the 2005 wine blog, is that beginning with the 2005 vintage, only Ridge and Dover Canyon will be buying the old vine fruit from Dusi Vineyard.

Oh yeah, and the last bottle was stolen from my brand new truck Monday night. Actually, the whole truck was stolen! :shock: But the thieves brought the truck back at 3 am, parked it in the same place, locked it, and left the spare keys, with dealer's tag still attached, in the center console. That's a lot of trouble to go to for a bottle of Dover Canyon old vine zin . . .

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

Thanks everyone for your inquiries.  Unfortunately, Dover Canyon wines are only distributed in California, North Carolina (long story) and Florida. 

I have been buying Dover Canyon Renegade Red at a shop called The Vineyard in McLean, VA. It's a delicious, rich full-bodied red at a great price point, and has become my go-to house red wine. I sincerely hope that I will continue to be able to find it there...

Thanks, Zora. I should probably clarify that our east coast distributor takes care of us in SC, NC and VA, although only a few shops get the wine because of our limited production. Feel free to PM or email me if you have questions about availability. Thanks, all!

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

I'd have to agree that their Dusi Old Vine Zin's are absolutely top shelf. Don't overlook their Syrah's either, they do a very nice job with them. In fact across the board their wines are nice, though the Zins and Syrah I think are their best. I also have a bottle of their Rousanne I think I'll open quite soon as well.

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo