• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rutt's Hut (with pictures!)

Kobi

The relish is either slightly cool or room temperature. I'm sure what isn't put out on tables or the counter is refrigerated.

I have to say that even though they keep the relish in those strange stainless steel containers (you need three hands to put relish on your dog: one to hold the dog, one to hold the spoon, and the other to hold the lid), it never looks like it's been sitting out too long. The containers are always clean and the relish (and mustard) is always fresh.

Oh, and about the fried oysters. Don't do it. Just don't. Think hot dogs, relish, chile, fries with gravy, and maybe the cheeseburger. Everything else on the menu is caveat emptor.

Say what you will. But over the years, I believe that going to Rutt's once a week as a school-kid (and once a month as an adult) has made my immune system strong!! QUite literally, I am sure that Rutt's has become part of my biology. :wub:

Edited by Batard (log)

"There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves."

Fergus Henderson