• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tanqueray Malacca

jazzyjeff

Hi there,

Great to find such a fantastic forum.

Just wondering if you could help me out. I have just managed to get hold of quite a few bottles of Tanqueray Malacca gin and wanted to find out more about the product.

I believe that it is triple distilled to 40% ABV to a recipe from 1839. I think it has a higher concentration of spicy botanicals than juniper (perhaps coriander?).

Other than that, my knowledge is pretty poor. I would be greatful for any other facts you may know about this and also what cocktails it works well in.

Many thanks

J

I found this "This "good-gin-a- subtle, bad-gin-as-heavily-flavored" standard established, we must promptly chuck it out the window to come to grips with Tanqueray Malacca Gin. It is an unusual concoction." http://www.alcoholreviews.com/SPIRITS/malacca.html

According to this it looks likes you are sitting on some discontinued bottles

"THIS ITEM MAY NOT BE AVAILABLE AND MAY REQUIRE SUBSTITUTION. IT IS NO LONGER BEING PRODUCED. WE HAVE LIMITED QUANTITIES STILL AVAILABLE IN THE USA." http://sendbeer.com/tanqueraymalacca.asp

Cheers and welcome to eG.

I haven't seen Malacca in at least a year, maybe two -- it was my gin of choice during its brief lifespan. I don't remember drinking it with anything but tonic or club soda -- I'm not much of a martini drinker, I hadn't yet embraced the Negroni, and I agree with the page there that says it doesn't mix with fruit juices as well as other gins do (although I usually added lime to my gin and tonics and didn't have a problem with it).

Haven't seen that stuff in years. Got some when it came out and loved it. From Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails by Ted Haigh aka Dr. Cocktail:

Pink Gin

3 oz Plymouth Gin

6 goodly dashes Angostura

Shake in an iced cocktail shaker. Strain into a stemmed cocktail glass sans garnish.

"The only other brand that tastes right in a Pink Gin was Tanqueray Malacca--which adhered to an original 1839 gin formula, but in their infinite wisdom (heavy, HEAVY irony here) Tanqueray suspended its production. Plymouth and Malacca gins are the most valued in Doc's liquor cabinet, and I hope someone comes to their senses and produces the latter again."

You're a lucky camper. Sip safe.

Alas, Malacca is no longer being produced & can only be found among those of us who have secreted away a stash for the future. One of the more interesting products to come along. I was sad to see it go, and I know I'm not alone in that respect.

--

I Just recivied a bottle of it from one of my favorite cocktail geeks. I have it stashed away from prying eyes, and thirsty tounges, till next summer. This way I have months to figure out what to do with this liquid gold. It's gotta be the paragon of simplicity. Pomagranate Gim Maybe.

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

• 2 weeks later...

weirdly enough, it was targeted towards African-Americans when it came out.

It mixes beautifully with orange. should be beautiful in a fizz of some sort...thinking 1.5 oz mallaca, .75 oz OJ, 1.5 simple, egg white, seltzer and regan's orange to top it.

Malacca was great, distinct gin while is was produced - albeit not popular enough to warrant its continuance. Dr. Cocktail makes that reference with his Pink Gin (Gin and Bitters) recipe and I was too late in reading a couple of years back to find some. I was told that it is still available in the UK. Is there any truth to that?

It looks like the Tanqueray Sterling Vodka has either been discontinued or is really limited in scope of distribution.

The African-American mention was valid for I remember print ads although I cannot imagine what the rationale was. I asked some black friends and found that Tanqueray has always been popular within their demographic - usually mixed with grapefruit juice.

It looks like the Tanqueray Sterling Vodka has either been discontinued or is really limited in scope of distribution.

The African-American mention was valid for I remember print ads although I cannot imagine what the rationale was.  I asked some black friends and found that Tanqueray has always been popular within their demographic - usually mixed with grapefruit juice.

Exactly, Tanqueray, just like cognac has been popular in the African American community for years thus the targeting makes sense. Just as most liquors are targeted towards a demographic, whether sex, age, race or geography.

Tanqueray enjoyed with either grapefruit or tonic, I think I will pour one now. Preferably the regualr(bitter) grapefruit juice not that sweet stuff(ruby red). Tanqueray Sterling vodka is still available in the Carolinas.

• 1 year later...

Bumping this because I found some Malacca this week. I'll be making pink gins with it, of course, and trying it out in G&T and martinis. But what other recommendations do you folks have to make this stuff really sing?

I'm thinking some cocktails, particularly with citrus juice, such as Aviations and Last Words may be the wrong answer based on what I've read. I see Alchemist's mention of Pomegranate gin. How'd that go over? I'm looking for input to maximize my enjoyment of the stash I found.

Tim

I'll be making pink gins with it, of course...

Pink gin? What do you mean by this?

There used to be a bottle of Pink Diamond Gin behind the bar at my last gig, and it was hideous stuff. Smelled like a grandmothers drawing room that hadn't had the windows opened in three decades. :raz:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Pink gin?  What do you mean by this?

Pink Gin background and recipe here.

Angostura bitters and gin in a glass. Nothing could be simpler. Make it with something zingy [Junipero, etc.] for a real kick.

-Dayne aka TallDrinkOfWater

###

"Let's get down to business. For the gin connoisseur, a Martini garnish varies by his or her mood. Need a little get-up-and-go?---lemon twist. Wednesday night and had a half-tough day at the office?---olive. Found out you're gonna have group sex with Gwen Stefani and Scarlett Johansson at midnight?---pour yourself a pickled onion Gibson Martini at 8:00, sharp." - Lonnie Bruner, DC Drinks

Thank you Dayne! I hadn't seen or heard of that one before. I'll have to try it. Sounds quite refreshing.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Bumping this because I found some Malacca this week. I'll be making pink gins with it, of course, and trying it out in G&T and martinis.

Gin & Tonics with Malacca?! That's a real waste of this gin. Once it's gone, there won't be any more to be had. Why not make it with something where you can really taste the gin?

--

Bumping this because I found some Malacca this week. I'll be making pink gins with it, of course, and trying it out in G&T and martinis.

Gin & Tonics with Malacca?! That's a real waste of this gin. Once it's gone, there won't be any more to be had. Why not make it with something where you can really taste the gin?

So, any suggestions to go with the chastisement?

Tim

Pink Gins and Martinis are just right, of course. My suggestion is that you hoard the bottle of Malacca and use it only in drinks like these that highlight its unique qualities. I've got around a half-bottle left myself, and wouldn't use it for anything but Martinis.

This is not to say that it wouldn't be good in a G&T. In fact, it's more emphatic flavors work very well with tonic water. So, if Tanqueray were still making Malacca I'd certainly suggest trying it with tonic water if you are a G&T lover. But considering that you may never come across another bottle of Malacca again, using it in drinks that don't highlight its "specialness" seems like a shame.

--

slkinsey,

Thanks for the reply. I actually found 4 bottles of Malacca, so I think I'll give a G&T a go at least once. But I understand what you were getting at. Most of my gin of any stripe goes into martinis, though I enjoy a variety of gin-based cocktails. I really just threw the G&T suggestion in there because I figured the tonic water wouldn't overpower the flavor of the gin.

I'll definitely use the stuff sparingly, and report back on my results.

Thanks again.

Tim