• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Zucchini Mama - A Merry Zucchini Christmas

Zucchini Mama

gallery_29428_2272_359349.jpg

Okay, I just wanted to say a few more things before I start to roll the credits and post photos of the perogy dinner. First of all, we did have mashed potatoes, gravy, and a creamy vegetable casserole which my sister made. My mom also made traditional stuffing without wild rice in the slow cooker. Our wine was La Vielle Ferme 2002 Cotes du Ventoux, which is not a complex wine, but it did the job. Next year, I'll go with a Grey Monk Rotberger from B.C.

gallery_29428_2272_666985.jpg

I went for a walk today again, and the Chinook Arch yesterday was certainly a harbinger for the warm wind today. It was so warm, I was out in jeans, a t-shirt, and a windbreaker. I saw one white-tailed dear, so well camouflaged against the patches of snow and straw-coloured prairie grasses.

I also wanted to thank everyone who's given me high fives and hugs along the way. You have really buoyed up my heart and given me the strength to keep on blogging. Thanks to my partner Peter for being my technical assistant and helping me get up to speed. Last Saturday was really the first day I starting using our $60 digital camera. Now I know its strengths and weaknesses very well. Special thanks to my sister and her husband for their warm generosity and hospitality. Thanks to mom and dad for all the wonderful food from Saskatchewan, and for nurturing a deep respect of food and community in us throughout our childhood. Thanks to Soba for being there along the way to iron out a few kinks, and thanks to the wonderful farmers, vintners, cheese makers, bakers, and candle stick makers who made the feasts possible.

Edited by Zucchini Mama (log)

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

Merry Christmas makanmakan, Daddy-A and Ling!!!!!

Here's a history book I can reccomend for those who want to go more deeply into the topic of farming the Palliser triangle. It's called Empire of Dust: Settling and Abandoning the Prairie Dry belt by David C. Jones

I didn't talk much about the buffalo jerky I bought earlier, because I feel it had too many ingredients, if you know what I mean. I'll have to track down a better version of the stuff-tastes a bit like shoe leather, but it can really give you a good hit of energy.

Dad also gave me a lesson in sausage making. He makes his sausage with half free range Black Angus beef and half free range pork. He pours boiling water over some garlic cloves and then uses that water with salt and pepper and sometimes mustard seed to season it. Once the meat is ground and spiced, the trick is you leave it for an hour, then fry up a small patty of it to see if it's seasoned to your liking. Next, you crank it into the natural casings, twist them, tie and cut them. I'll try to post the photos in the cook-off forum when I get home.

--Mae West

Lori,

I finally got a moment to go through your Christmas blog. Absolutely fantastic.

I loved the poetry, the perogi making, Ullie with the quince and all the family memories and photos.

I just got from a walk in Kelowna myself and met eagles, quails and some Canada Geese.

Happy Holidays!

Cassandra

Gastronomista

Merry Christmas jayhay and Cassandra. vancitygirl, you reminded me, I haven't told you how the quince jam tasted--well, it didn't set. It was more like a quince butter and tasted of pear, crabapple, honey and the haunting flavour of quince itself. I am anxious to try the other samples of quince jam that I found. Also, check out this wonderful article in Saveur Magazine if you're intrigued by quince.

We've fried up some onions and bacon and we're just about to cook the sausage and perogies!

--Mae West

Pierogies, yum!

Thank you so much, for this light hearted yet really thoughtful blog. We'll be channeling your vivacious attitude while we make our pierogies next week!

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

gallery_29428_2272_573708.jpg

Sausage from Cactus Lake, bacon bits from Drake, Saskatchewan, sour cream and onions from Alberta, and perogies from Vancouver!

gallery_29428_2272_133527.jpg

Grandpa and Grandma Zucchini! I treasure the gift they gave me-- a pot of Saskatchewn honey encased in beeswax.

gallery_29428_2272_114515.jpg

The madwoman who documented it all!

May your joy be as absurdly abundant as the zucchini.

May you bask in joy, and fill yourself with its light.

May you fill the sealer jars in the root cellar in your imagination with joy,

so that on a dark night you may open one and warm yourself by its brilliance.

A Very Merry Zucchini Christmas to you!

--Mae West

Those pictures of you and yor parents in your Christmas headgear are a National Teasure. If there's anyone else in Canada, or the world, like you, Zuke, I've never met her! Thank you so much for a very special blog.