• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pictorial: Crab in Ginger and Green Onion

hzrt8w

• 6 months later...
Maybe next time Ah Leung will prepare Crab with Black Bean Sauce and Chilli's as it's perfect for the winter when prices are low enough everyone can afford this delicacy.Irwin

We had crab in black bean, garlic, and chili sauce with a twist tonight for supper.

It was a recipe from a small Malaysian cookbook published by Periplus Editions.

The recipes are from the cooks of Bon Ton Restaurant, KL, and Jonkers Restaurant, Malacca.

The recipe is called Black Pepper Crab. The crab pieces were deep fried first. Shallots, garlic, smashed fermented soy beans, black pepper, curry leaves, fresh chilis, and roasted ground dried prawns (I used hai mai) were then stir-fried in butter until fragrant, and it WAS fragrant!

The crab pieces were then returned to the wok with a little sugar, a touch of oyster sauce, and dark soy sauce.

This recipe took black bean garlic chili crab up a whole bunch of notches! It was spicy, sweet, salty. We ate small bits of jasmin rice and quick stir-fry of bean sprouts, ginger and green onions with this. What a delicious mess! :wub::laugh:

I took a picture, but our son borrowed the camera tonight, so I will post tomorrow.

Edited by Dejah (log)

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

The recipe is called Black Pepper Crab. The crab pieces were deep fried first. Shallots, garlic, smashed fermented soy beans, black pepper, curry leaves, fresh chilis, and roasted ground dried prawns (I used hai mai) were then stir-fried in butter until fragrant, and it WAS fragrant!

The crab pieces were then returned to the wok with a little sugar, a touch of oyster sauce, and dark soy sauce.

This seems very similar to the Hong Kong Typhoon Shelter Style Crab. Except the curry leaves and butter. Dried prawns <==> Chinese lap yuk.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

• 6 months later...
De-shelling a crab, industrial style: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t5GQxxeZyA

Thank you for the pointers to the clips, Chee Fai. They have developed a simple, special tool to de-shell the crab. Interesting! I think that's exactly how they do it at Fisherman's Wharf, San Francisco. Some shops sell tons of dungeness crabs everyday.

is anyone familiar about a confinement food involving getting the crab drunk, by literally spooning shao hsing wine in its mouth over a period of time, untill the crab starts walking forward instead of its usual sideward. then when the crab is drunk enough they get steamed with chinese herbs. personally never witnessed this in my family. but one of my friends told me about this a few years back after her mom gave birth, and totally popped back in mind. can anyone enlighten me about this weird prep for crab? I cant imagine a crab walking forward, hahaha never seen one walk that way. :blink::laugh:

...a little bit of this, and a little bit of that....*slurp......^_^.....ehh I think more fish sauce.

... I cant imagine a crab walking forward, hahaha never seen one walk that way. :blink:  :laugh:

As with other "drunkun something" Chinese dishes - it's easier to get the eaters drunken with the liquor used than the animals... so they can imagine whatever the animals would do when drunken in their head.