• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stollen

eatrustic

Quick question - how long to the stollens last?  I've brought one to HK with me and I hope it lasts till Jan 1st.

No problem. Just wrap it in Saran or in a plastic bag to keep the moisture in. Since the Germans like theirs dryer than we do yours can only get more authentic!

I even gild the lily by putting butter on mine once they get past 10 days or so.

Happy New Year!.

• 11 months later...

Just noticed that Costco is making a Stollen with their name on it (or as I heard it is being made for them).

Tasted a sample in store and it's actually pretty tasty for $12.95 (large size) vs $25. for the Thomas.

Although it still doesn't come to the level of the Thomas Haas version (Costco version is somewhat sweeter), I would happily serve it to a crowd while hiding the Thomas version for myself.

Sort of like Paderno vs AllClad. They both do a good job for the price, just depends on your budget.

Just noticed that Costco is making a Stollen with their name on it (or as I heard it is being made for them).

Did you happen to notice if this is a locally made product, or one made in Europe (Germany)?

Thanks.

Edited by sanrensho (log)
Baker of "impaired" cakes...

Did you happen to notice if this is a locally made product, or one made in Europe (Germany)?

Thanks.

It is made locally. Heard it's a private-label bakery called Pohl's who have been around for a long long time. He's German so if it is his bakery he knows what he's doing (for the price).