• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stollen

eatrustic

DCP - I was just perusing the Trader Joe paper today and saw the marzipan stollen and am planning a trip there tomorrow. Thank you for your recommendation - I didn't see the plain one.

Edited by tafkap4d (log)
Whoever said that man cannot live by bread alone...simply did not know me.

DCP - I was just perusing the Trader Joe paper today and saw the marzipan stollen and am planning a trip there tomorrow.  Thank you for your recommendation - I didn't see the plain one.

Please report back with your findings and opinion. They sometimes change suppliers, so it may not be the same delectable product from years past.

David aka "DCP"

Amateur protein denaturer, Maillard reaction experimenter, & gourmand-at-large

There is none better then Cafe Kreutzkamm in Muenchen Germany. Here is the WEB site : They Ship

http://www.kreutzkamm.de/

It is also in English.

Just for some assurance. I am German, am from Saxony, and know what Stollen is !!

Many of the imports here in America are by brand names not really recognized as being high quality in Germany. I do not want to knock any particular ones here.

The above site, yes will ship to the US.

Believe me, lengthy shipping is not an issue as it is well known, Stollen are usually baked in Germany for the Christmas holiday already in November. The aging is a secret for superior taste.

When my parents were still living in the old country, I received every year for 27 years Kreutzkamm Stollen here in the States, directly sent from the Bakery in Muenchen. Every package, in those days, contained a little gift. An actual reproduction ( " Stiche " ) of famous buildings and sites of the city of Dresden, in the form of color prints. Kreutzkamm is originally from Dresden, and since the fall of 'Die Mauer' they again rebuilt an old store and Bakery in Dresden.

I am also positive that an importer here in the States carries there products to include Pfeffernuesse, Nurnberger Lebkuchen etc., because I saw these products at a small store ( Morse's , 3856 Washington Road (Route 220) , North Waldoboro, Maine , 207-832-5569 ) one could ask for there supplier

Peter

It is that time of year again.  Anyone with stollen reports? 

Last year I bought the Four Seasons version which was excellent - are they offering stollen again this year?

My favorite stollen last year was the 4 seasons. I just called, and the person answering the phone said they are not selling them this year!

Last year I bought the Four Seasons version which was excellent - are they offering stollen again this year?

My favorite stollen last year was the 4 seasons. I just called, and the person answering the phone said they are not selling them this year!

Thanks for checking that out, even though the answer is disappointing. Any chance of Les Amis getting into the baking business?

Cheers,

Anne

Thanks for checking that out, even though the answer is disappointing. Any chance of Les Amis getting into the baking business?

We used to do alot of baking for work when we were on 10th Ave, but not much anymore, except for ourselves. We've got lots of good recipes in our back pocket, so perhaps one day in the new store on Hastings...but that's a ways off. Allison suggested she might make some Stollen for the family.

I still think at this point that Thomas Haas has the gold standard for Vancouver. They are selling the small for $16. and the large for $24. Pricey but the quality is there.

Not sure, other than his place in N. Van, where you can get them though.

(That was the only use I had for his outlet downtown before it closed.)

The Artisan Bake Shoppe in N Van makes tiny decadent Stollen Bites. A friend of mine picked up a box at Whole Foods. They are delicious and kind of ingenious, really. Like 2 bite stollen, and they are oozing with butter. :wub:

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

I am happy to inform you we are selling stollen this year at Four Seasons.

Simply contact our room service and place an order.

Hope to see you in soon,

Aaron.

Hope to see you in soon,

Aaron.

Thanks for letting us know Aaron. I'll put in an order tomorrow.

Cheers,

Anne

Hope to see you in soon,

Aaron.

Thanks for letting us know Aaron. I'll put in an order tomorrow.

Great! Glad I could help. Don't forget to check out our new restaurant when you come in.

Aaron.

]I am happy to inform you we are selling stollen this year at Four Seasons.

Hope to see you in soon,

Aaron.

Great! Another source for (hopefully) good Stollen. I called the hotel and they are stocking them so we can walk in and pick one up. I tried two years ago to get one but they had just stopped making them and I missed my chance.

They are $20. plus tax.

The Thomas Haas Stollens that are available at Edible Vancouver on Granville Island are his small version and they sell for $19.50. They were out of stock the day I checked in so best to phone to be sure they're available.

]I am happy to inform you we are selling stollen this year at Four Seasons.

Hope to see you in soon,

Aaron.

Great! Another source for (hopefully) good Stollen. I called the hotel and they are stocking them so we can walk in and pick one up. I tried two years ago to get one but they had just stopped making them and I missed my chance.

They are $20. plus tax.

I picked one up last night and put it in the freezer to wait for Christmas. $21.05 with tax.

I also took a peek at Yew - it was busy, full of trendy looking (or trying) 30&40 somethings taking a break from shopping. At first glance it looks a little too "generic early 21st century west coast" to me; it doesn't really have a distinctive look that I can associate with the Four Seasons.

Maybe I'll take another look in the New Year when the holiday mayhem has subsided.

Cheers,

Anne

Finally scored a Four Seasons Stollen yesterday and since I was heading to the North Shore anyway I thought I might as well do a comparison of the two "carriage trade" Stollens.

I actually bought both sizes of the Thomas Haas as I wanted a large for Christmas and took one for the team and bought the smaller size as well since it would give a direct comparison to the Four Seasons version.

As you can see they are almost identical in size - 6"x 3 1/2" (the Haas is cheaper at $16.) Most recipes I've seen for Stollens call for the yellow raisins but personally I like either version.

gallery_14057_2869_106215.jpg

The golden raisin version is Four Seasons and the dark raisin is Thomas Haas.

gallery_14057_2869_222441.jpg

And whose Stollen reigns supreme? I have to say that they are so close at first tasting that I honestly can't say which is better. Both are nice and moist and the almond paste in each one is of high quality.

The Thomas Haas Stollens might get the edge as the small size is cheaper by about $3. (if bought at his shop) -otherwise the same price if bought at Edible Vancouver (G.I.).

The larger Haas is still the better deal overall as it is easily twice the size and has the traditional shape.

Both make very nice gifts as they come beautifully packaged and in fancy carrying bags.

I can't see there being any better Stollens in Vancouver and perhaps in Canada at this point.

All that's left for my search is to order from one of the really famous artisan bakeries in Germany. They do mail order all the time and this would tell me what the state of the art really is since I've never been to Germany.

It'll have to wait until next year though. Time's just about up!

The larger Haas is still  the better deal overall as it is easily twice the size and has the traditional shape.

Both make very nice gifts as they come beautifully packaged and in fancy carrying bags.

I can't see there being any better Stollens in Vancouver and perhaps in Canada at this point.

All that's left for my search is to order from one of the really famous artisan bakeries in Germany. They do mail order all the time and this would tell me what the state of the art really is since I've never been to Germany.

It'll have to wait until next year though. Time's just about up!

Excellent report, thank you eatrustic. Maybe next year les amis will be baking and we will have a few other contenders.

Cheers,

Anne

I received a Thomas Haas stollen and it was prefect; so prefect that I plan on making buying and eating one on my own a Christmas tradition from now on :biggrin: .

I also tried to mimic it and make one at home, of course mine fell short but at least I tried.

s124911096.jpg

Edited by D90 (log)