• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dessert Tasting Menus

NYC Mike

I had a 3 course dessert tasting menu at Bluestem in Kansas City and it was excellent. One course fruit driven, one course cheese driven and one course chocolate driven. All had multiple components, hot, cold, crispy, sweet, salty, in all a very pleasant experience.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

joiei, Kansas City is a little far from New York.

Do Chikalicious' 3-course dessert prix fixes count?

Worth the trip. Ever been to KC, you don't HAVE to eat bbq. I don't. And I do eat well when I am there.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Look for Will Goldfarb's new dessert and tea bar, or at least that's what I think he said it was going to be. The llittle I know of Will, the less I am prepared to second guess what he's going to do, but it should be interesting and exciting.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

WD-50 also lets you add the three course dessert menu to the tasting menu therefore giving you a total five dessert courses.

Here is the dessert portion of my last tasting menu:

Lemon curd: basil meringue, huckleberry

Butternut sorbet: pumpkin seed cake, chocolate soil, mole

Toasted sesame creme brulee: tangerine soup, tangerine segments, micro shiso, sesame madelines

Pineapple braised in caramel infused with banana & ginger: pineaplle tuile, poaeting liquid, coconut milk foam, mustard greens, mustard ice cream.

Manchego cheesecake: pineapple foam, quince, fresh thyme, thyme oil, Manchego chip

The two standouts. Manchego C.C. wonderfull mouthfeel with a muted flavor that developed as it warmed in your mouth and oozed across the palate. The thyme played a nice balancing role to the richness of the manchego. The pineapple I enjoyed. I can not quite pin down why, considering I normally do not enjoy pineapple but something about the dance between the flavors and textures in this dish truly made me look at pineapple in a new light.

Edit: Meal taken in 12/7/05

Edited by M.X.Hassett (log)

WD-50 also lets you add the three course dessert menu to the tasting menu therefore giving you a total five dessert courses.

Here is the dessert portion of my last tasting menu:

Lemon curd: basil meringue, huckleberry

Butternut sorbet: pumpkin seed cake, chocolate soil, mole

Toasted sesame creme brulee: tangerine soup, tangerine segments, micro shiso, sesame madelines

Pineapple braised in caramel infused with banana & ginger: pineaplle tuile, poaeting liquid, coconut milk foam, mustard greens, mustard ice cream.

Manchego cheesecake: pineapple foam, quince, fresh thyme, thyme oil, Manchego chip

The two standouts. Manchego C.C. wonderfull mouthfeel with a muted flavor that developed as it warmed in your mouth and oozed across the palate. The thyme played a nice balancing role to the richness of the manchego. The pineapple I enjoyed. I can not quite pin down why, considering I normally do not enjoy pineapple but something about the dance between the flavors and textures in this dish truly made me look at pineapple in a new light.

Edit: Meal taken in 12/7/05

Matthew,

So we could have the regular tasting menu savory and sweet and add 3 more deserts on the end? That is pretty awesome, thanks.

Did Landmarc this past weekend, was pretty dissapointed with the service, onion soup and croque madame but the deserts and the caramels were great.

-Mike

-Mike & Andrea