• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[DFW] The Mansion on Turtle Creek

foodfun

I will be leaving for Dallas Saturday, the 29th. A friend and I have reservations at Mansion on Turtle Creek. Is it any good? I have read about it in some of my magazines and am anxious to try it. My best dining experience so far was at Inn at Little Washington in Washington, VA. Any comparison?

foodfun, I have always found the Mansion to be quite supurb. Have you reviewed their menu? Do you have any particular ways you are leaning?

Where are you coming from?

also curious what your other dining destinations will be while here. I will gladly and maticulously describe how to spend every second of your day if you like, or at least give a suggestion or two.

Back to the mansion, Fearing's "signature" dishes are the lobster taco and tortillia soup. The tacos are masterful. Depending on your taste, my personal reccomendation would be to stick with the savory and not the sweet. The kitchen is a master of meat.

If you have any specific questions, please let me know. I haven't been in about a yr, but used to frequent the place.

We are going to Dallas from Iowa, and staying at the Westin Galleria. Most of my time will be taken up with the NEA Rep. Assembly, but we are squeezing this in. Yes, I have looked at their menu on the web; it is quite tantalizing. I was leaning towards the tasting menu since this is my first visit to the restaurant. (Although I lived in Carrollton when I was a youngster.)

Thanks for the tips about the lobster tacos and tortilla soup. They sound yummy.

I ate there in feb. and am glad I did but I wouldn't rate it as one of my top dining experiences ever. The service is good and the food is more than adequate but the wine list lacks any reasonably prices value wine at all. All wines regardless of reputation are dramatically overpriced as is pretty much everything there.

that said I have always wanted to go and found it enjoyable enough; i just wouldn't make it a must when visiting dallas.

I don't think the Mansion is nearly as good as it was several years ago. Also, it is far and away the most expensive restaurant in Dallas. For one excellent meal in Dallas I believe Abacus is the place. The food there is better than the Mansion and the prices are slightly lower. By the way, one of my all time greatest dining experiences was at the Inn at Little Washington as well.

Many speak of my drinking but few think of my thirst.

Well, I had my dinner at the Mansion. It was very nice. We both had the four-course tasting menu. My favorite was the Scallops on White Bean Sauce. The white beans were sooooooooooo good!

I found the building itself nicer than Inn at Little Washington, the food and service comparable, but the dessert not as good. At both places, I had the Creme Brulee. The Inn's was much better.

Glad I went; it was worth the trip.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Noone?????

have you checked how recent the last review on the DMN's Guidelive was? It seems to me they did a review recently.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

• 4 months later...

Hey Kent,

Fearing is opening a restaurant in downtown Dallas somewhere. It's possible (so some have speculated) that The Mansion on Turtle Creek wanted to change cuisines, as the "Southwestern" that Dean specialized in is on the wane with patrons. Also, The Mansion is a Mobil 5 hotel without a 5 star kitchen; counts for a lot at Rosewood Hotels.

Their web site listed

Ian Beach and James Wagner, The Mansion on Turtle Creek
as the hotels participants in their summer BBQ event. That is the only place I saw names associated with the kitchen.

Having worked in a Mobile 5-star kitchen myself, it does make a difference. The 5 stars is a step up over the 5 diamonds.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Hey Kent,

Fearing is opening a restaurant in downtown Dallas somewhere. It's possible (so some have speculated) that The Mansion on Turtle Creek wanted to change cuisines, as the "Southwestern" that Dean specialized in is on the wane with patrons. Also, The Mansion is a Mobil 5 hotel without a 5 star kitchen; counts for a lot at Rosewood Hotels.

my understanding is that Fearing's new venture is with Ritz-Carlton. if i can find published confirmation of that i will post it.

• 2 weeks later...

I hear he has some sort of contract with The Ritz or (maybe its part of his original agreement with the mansion) that he's not allowed to be in a commercial kitchen for one year after leaving the Mansion.

"cuisine is the greatest form of art to touch a human's instinct" - chairman kaga

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Nice Menu, but most of it is out of season.

Stone Fruit?

Asparagus?

Corn?

Heirloom Tomatoes?

I know all this stuff is all over Central Market and Whole Foods, but a great chef should be able to cook in season, even at over $40.00 a plate.

M. Schmidt

Cafe909.com

Looks a tad boring, out of season, over done and too frou-frou for my tastes, not to mention overpriced. Give me York Street, Lola, or Local any day. I'll certainly try it, but it just doesn't look like the kind of menu that I expect to bowl me over.

Anyone know if they've changed their wine list at all?