• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Ruby Red: pomegranate,GG vodka, etc.

Gifted Gourmet

article here

The Ruby Red is a tangy mix of vodka, champagne, cognac, pomegranate liqueur and orange juice. And it comes complete with a one-carat, grade-A ruby.

"We wanted to use pomegranate because it's hitting a popular trend with the antioxidants, and orange is really good with that," Gugni explained.

Dom Perignon champagne added a certain 'je-ne-sais-quoi', while using the Grey Goose orange vodka brought a smooth and silky kick. "It's not a really heavy or sweet drink. It's got more of a tart taste."

Recipe in the article ... aside from the ruby itself, does this cocktail sound interesting from the recipe? :rolleyes:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

A few things bother me about this. One is the fact that they say Cognac yet use hypnotiq which is a concoction of cognac, artificial colors, flavorings, and who knows what else.

"Gugni figures he would charge around 120 or 130 dollars for a gem-less Ruby Red, to cover the cost of uncorking the champagne." This is ludicrous I can walk up the street to my little mom and pop bar/restaurant and order a glass of champ. yet at a busy Chicago night club they dont have a single open bottle feh. On top of that idiocy here is this gem of a quote "But even at that price, they won't get the whole bottle - they just get a splash." WTF

I think pomegranate is a fine juice but please use it for flavor NOT because, "it's hitting a popular trend with the antioxidants, and orange is really good with that,"

"He used his old connections to buy the cocktail gems wholesale, and says they can easily be turned into a ring, pendant or earrings" this guy has to be making a pretty penny on this considering how cheaply one can buy low quality gems.

End of rant, sorry out of coffee today. :smile:

At least with The Starlight Room's $375 Drinking The Stars you get to keep the rest of the bottle of Dom Perignon.  Plus, it doesn't involve Vodka, Hypnotiq, or claim to be good for you.

and we can always thank the Donald for this one "a blend of Remy XO, Pineau des Charentes, Veuve Clicquot and fruit juices known as the ''World Cocktail.'' Priced at 50 bucks, the drink is topped with a floater of 23-karat liquid gold." ( http://cityguide.aol.com/newyork/bars/venu...?sbid=116530516 ) seems like a bargain now compared to the others must be be bad for the Trump image. :wink:

Well GG there are several interesting elements to this article.

1) It's interesting how much spare cash people have to waste on a crappy drink like this, or ostentatious crap in general.

2) It's interesting that the inventor of this libation chose to use Hypnotiq instead of a real cognac. Actually, I'm not sure if real cognac would serve any purpose at all in this drink anyway. But if you're going to charge this much for a drink why not use: real cognac, a high quality, unflavored vodka, oj, pomegranate juice not liquer, Gran Gala, and then a splash of champagne.

3) It's interesting, sad and very frustrating that I didn't think up this gimmick first! :blink:

Not surprising though given that we live in the time of $10,000,000 bat mitzvahs. Also, since this guy is supposedly a jeweler and is getting the stone wholesale anyway, why not have the ruby set in a ring, 18K gold of course, and let the sucker, um, purchaser go home with the rest of the bottle of champagne, you cheap bastard.

Edited by divalasvegas (log)

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

And from tomorrow's New York Times, essentially the same story but with several other absurdly extravagant cocktails discussed as well:

...Julie Clark, 28, an options trader from Chicago, celebrated one of her biggest trading windfalls with a $135 Champs-Élysées cocktail at Le Passage. The Champs-Élysées is made with Remy Martin Louis XIII cognac, Grand Marnier, orange juice and sour mix; it is served in a Bottega del Vino crystal cognac snifter, which the drinker can keep. "I wanted to celebrate," Ms. Clark said. "It was great. I really liked it."....

I hope Le Passage uses a really good brand of sour mix. Just any old bottom-shelf sour mix might make for a less tasty drink. :laugh:

Kurt

“I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake--which I also keep handy.” ~W.C. Fields

The Handy Snake

And from tomorrow's New York Times, essentially the same story but with several other absurdly extravagant cocktails discussed as well:
...Julie Clark, 28, an options trader from Chicago, celebrated one of her biggest trading windfalls with a $135 Champs-Élysées cocktail at Le Passage. The Champs-Élysées is made with Remy Martin Louis XIII cognac, Grand Marnier, orange juice and sour mix; it is served in a Bottega del Vino crystal cognac snifter, which the drinker can keep. "I wanted to celebrate," Ms. Clark said. "It was great. I really liked it."....

I hope Le Passage uses a really good brand of sour mix. Just any old bottom-shelf sour mix might make for a less tasty drink. :laugh:

Kurt

jawdrop.gif

Why oh why would you mix anything with Louis XIII??? Gah!

Dumb bitch could've bought herself a right fine entire bottle of Cognac for that price. Not Louis, but still...

Too many people have more money than taste.

All of these cocktails are an excuse for the restaurant to ream the customer and fool them into thinking they're getting something special for their money. It's done with food too. There is a restaurant here in Philly that sells a stunning number of $100 Cheesesteaks on a daily basis. If you figured out what the actual cost of the ingredients were and then multiplied to get a normal cost of goods you could see just what kind of a rape this really is. And the most ironic thing is that the type of customer that buys this fancies themselves such a savvy and sophiticated consumer. Pathetic. Getting shamelessly ripped off and paying top dollar to have it happen.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

The World Cocktail

Adapted from the World Bar at Trump World Tower, New York

1 ounce Courvoisier XO

1 ounce Pineau des Charentes

1 ounce white grape juice

Dash of Bitters

½ ounce lemon juice

Float of Veuve Clicquot

4 Drops of 23-carat edible liquid gold.

This is pretty tasty just horribly overpriced.

Please help me............ 1) Where are all of these men with money to burn? 2) And how can I meet one (or more) of them? :smile:

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

Please help me............  1) Where are all of these men with money to burn? 2) And how can I meet one (or more) of them? :smile:

Dear Carman, of Carman's Country Kitchen, one of the sassiest women I've had the pleasure of knowing, has a sign on the wall of her restaurant that reads:

"A Fool and His Money are a Great Date!" :laugh:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol