• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Who Is Malawry

Good luck with everything you do, Malawry.

I appreciate your effort on keeping this diary, as I too am contemplating applying to an institution such as CIA or other such school, and look forward to any valuable insights or experiences you might have, in your updates to this thread.

I suppose one of the things on my To Do list is to pick up a copy of Ruhlman's work and read it. I've heard that its a must read according to some e-gulleteers I've spoken to.

Anyway, good luck!

Hi Malawry,

Good luck on becoming a food writer! It's a tough business and you've got a lot of competition. Like yours, my career has vacillated between food and writing. When I graduated from college, on a whim, I called Craig Claiborne at the NY Times. He recommended that I enroll in the Culinary Institute of America and learned to cook. Then, if I could write, the rest of my career would take care of itself. As an extraordinary writer with a vast knowledge of food and a formal cooking education, I trust that Mr. Claiborne knew about what he spoke. I never took the time to go to a culinary school, instead I threw myself into the writing part of my career and I've come to regret that decision. In short, follow your heart and your stomach, and let them guide your pen.

Best of luck Rochelle.

You've recieved some excellent advice and I'd be hard pressed to disagree with any of it.

"If you truly love what you do then you will never have a job"

BTW. Re the clog advice. My suggestion is to get both clogs and a good sturdy pair of ankle supporting NON-SLIP sneaker type footwear such as made by 'Shoes For Crews'. DO NOT use sneakers. Sneakers/athletic shoes + tile floors + water/grease = much slips and falls.

The clogs work for standing around in a small area. The other shoes work for zipping around from end to end in large kitchens. I use both depending on whether I'm on my station for the bulk of the day (clogs) or running a large function requiring me to be all over the place (workshoe).

Best of luck

Nick

A few responses to questions:

Bux, there's a paid externship as part of the program. It starts in December. The school helps me arrange it, but where I go depends largely on my interests and where I can get to easily from a geographic standpoint. My plan is not to worry about it for the next month or so, and then to start trailing here and there to see what a few kitchens look like. Meanwhile, I try to peek at kitchens when I dine out, and sometimes I harangue a tour or an introduction to the chef (or both).

Stella, the people I spoke with who tried to talk me out of school believed it wasn't a good investment of time and money. "Why don't you just go badger a chef to hire you and learn that way?" Lots of people do learn that way, and that's wonderful. I just thought learning by going to school would work better for me, for the reasons I listed in my introductory post.

I have read Kitchen Confidential, and it was helpful and interesting.

So far I have worn my DMs, and they have done fine for me, but then I haven't spent more than a couple hours on my feet to date. I may check out some clogs this weekend.

WOOOOOHOOOOOOO~

Wishes of break a leg to both Malawry and Chefchelle!

Just get in there, kick ass, and have a GREAT time. And tell us all about it of course.

Dont be intimidated by your teachers, theyre just people with sharp instruments :biggrin:

Enjoy!

Oh and by the way....for the ultimate protection against hot grease and just plain fire in the kitchen....try cooking in fire pants and boots....not only will you look totally hot but youll develop great leg muscles schlepping around in those.

We are truly lucky to have someone who is not only willing to do this, and who has such a wonderful eye for nuance and detail, but who is also a great writer.

Good job!

Now go do your homework. :biggrin:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

• 4 weeks later...

I would like to hear from more people who were older when they went to Culinary School.

I myself am 30 and made the jump into Culinary about 1 year ago. Not having a background in the industry I was scared out of my mind and I still am.

I am lucky to have pretty understanding Chef de Cuisine (but not someone I want to talk to) and I am having some doubts.

Let me explain. I was lucky enough to work for about 7-8 months getting myself into a Line job (Saute/Grill). So for about 2 months I have been working these positions and I am getting frustrated. I know I am the weakest member of the "line" team and I can't seem to work out what I can do to get better.

Yes I've heard the usual. Be Agressive, work with speed, work clean and I am doing all I can to do all these things, but still my food is getting returned. The other line guys tell me not to worry it will come with experience.

But that is probably the one thing that I hate hearing the most. I don't want to take my time, I want to do it right the first time and the 100th time.

So I was just wondering if anyone else had the same missingivings, doubts, etc. and how they worked themselves out of it?

Treat everyone the same, like a VIP...

Something gave its life for what you are about to eat... Respect the food...

"Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all."

-Sam Ewig

Rob--why don't you copy this and start a bio thread, introducing yourself? I'm also not sure whether you went to school or not first--it may be you're not working under chefs who are teaching you and enabling you to learn from those around you. Sometimes that's what school does for you--when you're out in the real world working--you know how or why something happened or went wrong when it goes wrong. It may be you're learning how to do things--by watching those around you--but they're not imparting why they do those things. Is your whole job on the line or did you get involved in prep--and see how dishes were composed and why? (I didn't go to cooking school until I was 32 and that was 10 years ago.)

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

• 1 month later...

Hi Malawry

I enjoy your posts very much and can picture myself standing beside you in class. But which girl are you? Would you consider posting your picture somewhere on the site so we can relate better? Also so I can recognize you when you get your own TV show. Thanks again and good luck.

Dad, is that you? :blink::biggrin:

I'm the girl with the long dark curly hair and the catseye glasses. Actual pics can be seen on my personal Web site, www.malawry.org. There may be pics coming here in the future, so hang tight.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Malawry!

I wanted to take this little moment of free time to thank you for posts. They are inspiring, motivational, insightful, entertaining, educational, and well written. I could go on and on but you get the point. :laugh: I followed your diary religiously before I started at the Scottsdale Culinary Institute last week. I must admit it's been a blur so far and I'm falling dangerously behind in your entries. But I'll find a way to catch up!

• 4 weeks later...

Malawry (and others):

My name is Liz and I am new to egullet, but can already see that I will spend too much time here.

I am starting at a Le Cordon Bleu school in May of '03, after leaving what would be a perfectly sound career as an elementary school teacher.

It is great to read your adventures in cooking school and it eases my mind about the major decision I am making.

Thank you!

Noise is music. All else is food.

Welcome to all new and soon-to-be students! I'd be interested in hearing why you chose the schools you chose, and what attracted you to culinary school.

Haunted Chef, sorry I didn't respond to your question earlier. Here are a few thoughts:

1. Get good shoes. It's a huge part of this particular topic for good reason.

2. Take good care of your body. This includes #1, but also exercise, learn how to safely lift heavy objects if you don't already know how, get enough sleep at night, and drink plenty of water.

3. Make a decision as to how you will approach your studies. People go to culinary school for all kinds of reasons. These reasons change approaches. I work very hard at my program, but you don't have to in order to do well (depending on your personality). I make it hard on myself because that's what I want to get out of the program...knowledge and experience.

4. Make sure you have time to fulfill all your commitments: to being in school, to doing your homework, to practicing if you're the sort who needs to practice, and to taking care of your body. Don't forget time for the other people in your life and time for yourself. It sucks, but I have to schedule my "fun time" in...and I don't have to work my way through school like some people do (this diary is the closest thing I have to a job for now). Learn to manage your time now if you're bad at it.

5. Things may be scary and overwhelming at times. I remember the first few times I handled meat, I was petrified. Now I can tie and truss, sear and grill, trim and braise just like everybody else. Try to remember why you went to school when you feel this way: you wanted to learn, and you loved working with food.