• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Westminster Restaurants

ddueck

I have been reading this site for about six months now and drooling all over my keyboard. (Good thing I keep buying cheap ones.) I just moved from Mission and am now living in New Westminster. I am curious as to the opinion this esteemed group of food geeks concerning my new local restaurants. I know most of you stick pretty close to the downtown core and West Granville is like a trip to the country, but there are a few restaurants out here.

My wife swears (ok not really swears) by Stefano's. The day our baby was born, she went there for lunch (yes, twelve hours after birth!). I live just around the corner from La Spaghetaria and La Rustica but don't know much about them.

There is also quite a cluster of coffee shops near the corner of sixth and sixth, but none are very good. I think this is a perfect location for another Cafe D'Artigiano. Anyone interested?

Anyways, let me know what you think.

i have not been to la spaghetaria for a few years, but the last time i went i was impressed and left 100% satisfied!

That's the one attached to La Rustica & La Lorraine. The old joke there was that when an entre left the kitchen, it either received a cream sauce and then went to La Lorraine, or a tomato sauce and then to La Rustica. Pretty average fare.

Burger Haven (77 10th Street) springs to mind - really good burgers. There's also The Waffle House (600 block of 6th Street) for more basic fare. They've been there a long time so they must be doing something right. The Keg is down near The Quay along with The Boathouse.

Unfortunately, you're essentially in a restaurant wasteland. Hop the Skytrain to Commercial drive. That's what we do here in North Burnaby when The Pear Tree is beyond our budget :laugh:

A.

Unfortunately New West has been a culinary waste land for the past five years. I'd drive or bus it to the Pear Tree in Burnaby or as Arne mentioned look at the Drive. On a positive note they have a great private wine shop (ask for David or Al for some very interesting wines) at the ground floor level of the Investor's Group buidling adjacent to the very sad New West Quay.

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

Dang, wrote a long piece and then my fast reply was tossed out due to not being logged in. *sigh*

Coles notes:

Kasuga Sushi on 6th and 6th. Decent stuff, always busy so food is usually fresh. Probably best Japanese in New West which is about equal to decent Japanese in Vancouver.

Burger Haven is really good for burgers. 2for1 coupon makes it a good deal.

Farm Cottage Bakery in New West Quay makes great pies (peach and strawberry! Yum.) and awesome cheesecakes! Best thing about the Quay.

Other than that there's not that much apart from the regular fare.

mmmm....how could i have forgotten about burger heaven!!!

burger heaven is a little pricey for bugers imoo, but you find find 2 for 1 coupons in the local new west/burnaby paper....the coupon is not really 2 for 1 unless you order the basic basic burger but it'll save you some monies : )~

A good thing about living in New Westminster is that it's a quick drive to Burnaby or Coquitlam for much better food. We go to The Golden Boot Cafe in Coquitlam for excellent Italian pizza and pasta. We also go to Santorini's on North Road and Lougheed in Coquitlam for Greek food. Hi-Genki in the Nikkei center just off Kingsway in Burnaby has very good 'home-style' Japanese food. I believe it's run by Fujiya.

In my opinion, Kasuga Sushi used to be really good, but after changing hands a couple of times, it's not what it used to be.

Also, SBonner was quite right when he mentioned Divino's Wine Shop by the New West Quay - David is an excellent guy to talk to there.