• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pomegranate Juice

frogprincess

i want to try and make pomegrante ice cream using fresh pomegrante juice but i am not too sure the best way to juice the little guys....

i am thinking that i could pulse the seeds and then strain or perhaps use my orange juice maker and remme (sp?)...

just wondering if anyone has had any experince and what method works best, thanks!

THe end of this thread has some conversation that might be helpful. As for me, I would just use juice bought from the store, and hold the fresh Pomegranate for other uses. all those little seeds seem like to much trouble for me, for the amount of juice I would imagine you get. But then, I can't get pomegranates for less than $1.50 a piece, so maybe if I had a good cheap supply of the suckers I might see things otherwise...

Edited by donk79 (log)

i want to try and make pomegrante ice cream using fresh pomegrante juice but i am not too sure the best way to juice the little guys....

i am thinking that i could pulse the seeds and then strain or perhaps use my orange juice maker and remme (sp?)...

just wondering if anyone has had any experince and what method works best, thanks!

Hi frogprincess,

Just juice it as you would any citrus juice. You'll need an electric one like this model:

Electric Citrus Juicer

Or a manual one with heft, like this:

Heavy Duty Manual Juicer

Now, when are you going to invite me over for some pomegranate margaritas? :smile:

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

The best thing I've found for juicing pomegranates is an old cast aluminum citrus press.

It has a bowl, which you can fill with pomegranate kernels and then a paddle which is attached to a long handle, giving you a good amount of leverage to squish out the juice without breaking open the seeds.

If you search on ebay for "universal juicer" or "wearever juicer", there are usually a few available for cheap.

Still, juicing pomegranates is a pretty thankless task. You might get 6 ounces or so from each one.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

If you prefer saving time to maximising yield, you can just squeeze pomegranates by hand. Cut off about 1/3 of the pomegranite in one piece and just squeeze like a lemon over a strainer. probably about 80% of the juice will come out this way and it's very fast and nearly no mess.

PS: I am a guy.

• 4 years later...

I'm far from home without a citrus juicer. I have a bowl full of pomegranate seeds and a sheath of recipes from the web on how to make them into juice. Don't much like any of the recipes.

Who has a good method, please. :rolleyes:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I've used a food processor and fine mesh sieve to good effect in the past. What sort of equipment do you have on hand?

A teeny tiny food processor. Small sieve and not fine mesh. Couldn't bring it all, could I?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Place kernels in a cloth bag (or a clean pillow case you wish to dye:) and squeeze over a bowl like you would laundry.

A food mill will work too.

No food mill with me. HOWEVER!!! I do have a case I made from old 'glass' curtains the last time we were in Moab to save the food from the endless ants. I could use it. Get the DH to do the manual part.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

You might have already thought of this, but if you go the "put in a pouch and squeeze" route, make a loop or knot at the top of your pouch and put a stick/wooden spoon handle/similar item in the top and twist using the stick. You'll get much better torque that way (increased torque? Higher torque? more torque?) and more juice.

You might have already thought of this, but if you go the "put in a pouch and squeeze" route, make a loop or knot at the top of your pouch and put a stick/wooden spoon handle/similar item in the top and twist using the stick. You'll get much better torque that way (increased torque? Higher torque? more torque?) and more juice.

Good idea. Next time. If there is one.

So I did the squeezing and then Ed came and finished it off and there we were. A couple of cups of pomegranate juice. Very nice.

Thanks for all the help.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 3 months later...

In Modernist Cuisine the team presents a cool way to juice pomegranate seeds: take the seeds and seal them in a vacuum bag like you were going to sous vide them, and then run over them with a rolling pin. Snip the corner off the bag and pour the juice out, discarding the rest: no cleanup at all. Sounds clever (though I haven't tried it).

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

In Modernist Cuisine the team presents a cool way to juice pomegranate seeds: take the seeds and seal them in a vacuum bag like you were going to sous vide them, and then run over them with a rolling pin. Snip the corner off the bag and pour the juice out, discarding the rest: no cleanup at all. Sounds clever (though I haven't tried it).

I am SO trying that next year.

I currently use a food processor with a plastic "blade" -- the first runnings go into a container. And the rest is thrown into a pot with a small amount of barely simmering water for a few minutes. I then strain the second runnings into another container.

I actually prefer the taste of the second runnings as a basic juice drink. My wife makes penobscot cocktails with the first runnings.

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

• 7 months later...

Has anybody tried extracting juice with a pressure cooker?

I ran an experiment last week to extract pomegranate juice from the same quantity (in weigth) of pomegranates using a a) food processor and strainer; and b) a pressure cooker and strainer. I used South African pomegranates for the experiment (which were extremely red and a bit too acidic) The yield was almost the same in each case but the pressure cooker one (once refrigerated) tasted remarkably good (better imho if you asked me than the regular one).

Now that we're starting local season (in Spain) I will repeat the experiment with the local produce (which is significantly sweeter than the South African ones) adding extraction with a regular juice maker to the test.