• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mail order Poilane Bread

hazardnc

I am trying to compose a special food gift for my folks, and I wanted to buy a loaf of Poilane bread - yes, it's extravagant - from their site. I placed an order, but was never asked for a cc#. I have serious doubts about this.

Anyone ever placed an order with them?

I looked at the site and it didn't seem to be working correctly. I haven't ordered from the site, but my two cents - I've had the Poilane bread purchased from a gourmet food store here in the US and also at a restaurant in the UK. No way is it worth the amount of money they charge for it. Not that it's bad, it's just not that special. I'd spend the money on something else.

I'm sure it's pretty darn good when it's fresh; but by the time it gets to you it has to be 2 or 3 days old if not older. Even with overnight shipping, which in the case of international shipments is a misnomer because nothing is ever certain when U.S. customs is involved in the equation, you have all the issues of it's transportation, like rough handling, wrapping in some kind of plastic which will have a effect on it's palatability and flavor, and then the decompression of it's flight overseas and sudden recompression; how good will it be? ( I know there is probably more wrong with that last sentence than I have hairs on my face, so I apologize. ) You know what I mean, how much was lost in it's journey? Probably too much to justify it's price.

A island in a lake, on a island in a lake, is where my house would be if I won the lottery.

yes, I suppose you are both right. I realize this is an extravagant purchase, but this is for two people who will not get the chance to fly to London or Paris and eat fresh Poilane bread (and it is VERY good bread). In addition to the bread, I was shipping them Montgomery cheddar, applewood smoked bacon and other treats. The plan was to give them the makings for one of the best grilled cheese sandwiches (and most expensive) they could imagine! They live in a small Texas town and there is no real bakery within 300 miles.

No, it won't be the same as if you bought it practically fresh from their ovens, but it should still be great for toasted or grilled-type sandwiches or to lightly toast in the oven for dipping and the like. One of my breads has a very short shelf life. I freeze some of it to use for toasting and sandwiches and dipping and so forth. And even if it's sat out too long on the counter, toasting it lightly in the oven will revive it very nicely for those purposes. If I were sending it as a gift, I'd send a note along to explain the best way to use it.

I have had the Poulaine that is fex-exed into our local yuppie markets a couple of times. No it's not as good as the stuff you get fresh in Paris, but it's still very good and a nice reminder of some wonderful meals in France.

If you can get them to take your credit card go ahead & do it.

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

I have had the Poulaine that is fex-exed into our local yuppie markets a couple of times.  No it's not as good as the stuff you get fresh in Paris, but it's still very good and a nice reminder of some wonderful meals in France.

If you can get them to take your credit card go ahead & do it.

I did it! I recv'd an email from the export sales manager and you have to fax or email your cc number b/c they have to fill out export forms -- all for a loaf of bread!

My husband carried a loaf of Poilane and a hunk of Montgomery cheddar from his trip to London last spring, and I concur that the bread makes great toasted sandwiches days after it is made. I will send my mother recipes for tartines to be eaten with knife and fork so they can enjoy a taste of France in Rockport, Texas. :wub: