• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Charlotte food spots

hazardnc

Stopped by two new places in Charlotte today.

The Atlantic Farmer's Market on Eastway Blvd (in the old Winn Dixie store) is not a Farmer's Market at all, but it does have a vast selection of ethnic foods. In the frozen foods aisle, I found not only chicken (with heads and feet) but also quail, duck, frog's legs, snails and many Asian delicacies.

The Mexican cheese selection is very good. I also saw fresh skirt steak (the real McCoy), many varieties of chorizo and other Mexican sausages. There is a great selection of Asian ingredients. The produce selection is not large, but I did see a few unusual items. They also carry cooking implements (including a tamale steamer and molcajete) I was in a hurry, so I did not get to do a real in depth investigation.

Secondly, Marguerite's French bakery has opened in NoDa on North Davidson at 28th Street. Their oven has not been installed yet, so they are baking offsite for the next few weeks. I picked up some croissants (so-so) and a yet-to-be tasted apple tart. She has lovely Buche de Noels in the case ($45 each) and several napoleons. The woman I spoke with (Marguerite?) said she plans to offer French macaroons (very different from the coconut version most know here) once the oven is going. I hope she does! They also plan to offer a large choice of breads.

Check them out!

edited for typos

Edited by hazardnc (log)

Stopped by two new places in Charlotte today.

The Atlantic Farmer's Market on Eastway Blvd (in the old Winn Dixie store) is not a Farmer's Market at all, but it does have a vast selection of ethnic foods. 

I saw that market the other day when we tried to go to El Loco Pollo for lunch. Sadly, that place is out of business as my wife and I have a craving for their cilantro infused chicken soup.

Thanks for checking it out and reporting what you found.

Brent, I think there is another Peruvian place on South Blvd in a strip mall near the intersection of Tyvola. I will have to look next time I am over there. In the meantime, have you ever tried the pozole at Taqueria la Unica? The broth is not cilantro infused, but they do offer loads of freshly chopped cilantro as a garnish. I had some for lunch yesterday. Hmmmm

Also, on a different front, a new Middle Eastern place has opened on Independence in the old Hooters (past Sharon Amity). An Arab cabbie who took me to the airport one day told me about it and said their shawarma is very good and hummus, etc, is also good. I sadly think the quality at Lid East Deli has gone way down in the past couple of years. The cabbie also said he plans to open a Middle Eastern bakery in 2006. What a treat it would be to get fresh pita bread in Charlotte.

Kathy, I don't think I met Brigitte. My husband says she has a heavy French accent. The woman I met did not.

Brent, I think there is another Peruvian place on South Blvd in a strip mall near the intersection of Tyvola.  I will have to look next time I am over there.  In the meantime, have you ever tried the pozole at Taqueria la Unica?  The broth is not cilantro infused, but they do offer loads of freshly chopped cilantro as a garnish.  I had some for lunch yesterday.  Hmmmm

I know the location on South Blvd. There have been a series of Latin American chicken joints there. They have turned over so fast I never seem to be able to hit them twice until new owners take over.

Kathy, I don't think I met Brigitte.  My husband says she has a heavy French accent.  The woman I met did not.

I went to Marguerite's today and had a long talk with Brigitte (or at least the receipt had her name on it so that is who I think it was). She speaks English without an accent but clearly speaks French as well based on the tour that she gave me of all the baked goods in the display counter. I had a Turk, which is a day old croissant that is spread with almond cream and then re-baked so that it becomes crusty on the outside and much denser than a croissant on the inside. Yum!

Brigitte has big plans to put in a wine and craft beer selection, to have backgammon and cribbage, to provide bread to the deli next door for sandwiches, to offer cheeses and maybe saucisson, etc. I wish her well and hope the market responds to her enthusiasm.

I went to Marguerite's today and had a long talk with Brigitte (or at least the receipt had her name on it so that is who I think it was). She speaks English without an accent but clearly speaks French as well based on the tour that she gave me of all the baked goods in the display counter. I had a Turk, which is a day old croissant that is spread with almond cream and then re-baked so that it becomes crusty on the outside and much denser than a croissant on the inside. Yum!

I am very excited about this bakery and have high hopes. I only wish it was close enough for me to go daily for fresh baguettes!

• 2 weeks later...
Being from NYC I was wondering what are the best restaurants in Charlotte and how would a nYC style restaurant do down there

The list of "best restaurants" would be very personal. If you look around on this thread, you'll find this question addressed several times.

In the meantime, what's a "NYC-style restaurant"? I'm in New York frequently and I'd be hard pressed to pick a "New York style." Does that mean Katz's Deli, the Red Flame Coffee Shop or Jean-George?

Kathleen Purvis, food editor, The Charlotte (NC) Observer