• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Any good restaurants in Harrisburg

Jeff L

A friend of mine has asked if anyone here can recommend some good restaurants in the Harrisburg area. I think they may lean to a byo if possible but any suggestions are welcome. I'm not sure of their cuisine preference.

Not from Harrisburg but here are a couple places I do know

Perhaps the best place in Harrisburg is the Golden Sheaf in the Hilton Hotel. Very nice wine list, food is very well done. However it is not cheap for Harrisburg or anyplace else

Mangia Qui is a new place downtown. The food is good and it is sort of Mediteraian in style. I liked this place the one time I was there. I know it is popular in Harrisburg right now.

The Firehouse is a more casual bar restaurant place, but I have been there and enjoyed it . Nothing special but not bad

I have never been to this place but I know it is spoken well of. Passage to India.

All these places are in the downtown area.

On Second St in Harrisburg there is the start of a Restaurant Row, there are places there that I have not been to and do not know much about. However, I do know there are places that are new and different to Harrisburg.

The BYO movement it not big outside of Philadelphia and I can't help with that

I second the vote for Mangia Qui, although it is not a BYOB. Three good BYOs are Simoson's, a few blocks north of downtown, and James' Cafe on Market and 2201, both across the river in Camp Hill. For ethnic, Cedar is a good little Lebanese BYO but I can't think of any out of the ordinary Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese or Indian restaurants. I don't think Taste of India is in Harrisburg, unless it is the place just north of town that closed a month or two ago.

Another good choice is Char's in Shipoke. Creative menu, good wine list and convivial, though noisy.

I recommend Mangia Qui also. Once a week they do a tapas night that is really good and affordable. Also, Scotts is decent but also not BYO. There is not too much there but it is getting more developed. Good luck and let us know where you end up.

CherieV

Eat well, drink better!

Out of paxton ave there are two good vietnamese restaurants. One is the kitchen in the back of a vietnamese market some really top pho here, the other is a noodle shop and "french bakery" the name of which escapes me at the moment.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

It's been about 12 years or so since I've lived in the area but the Glass Lounge on Front St north of the city had Great Steaks, I mean great. It's a local bar type place- definitely not fine dining but the Steaks were out of this world. Don't know if they are still there or not.

It's been about 12 years or so since I've lived in the area but the Glass Lounge on Front St north of the city had Great Steaks, I mean great. It's a local bar type place- definitely not fine dining but the Steaks were out of this world. Don't know if they are still there or not.

Still there and still the same.

Passage to India is in Harrisburg, however. Or was. Is it still there in the Quality Inn, and how's the food there lately?

Passage to India is still there. Haven't been there recently.

Oops! Yes, of course I meant Passage to India. I haven't been there for a year (when it was terrific); my wife went in October and liked it.