• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Culinary Resolutions for 2006

Pontormo

In 2006, I will eat with greater mindfulness and less haste

I will make a whole lot more of my food at home (as opposed to take-out)

I will find some kind of living/cooking arrangement where I can make a whole lot more of my food at home--where I am once again free to cook whatever I want, whenever I want, no matter how "stinky" it gets

I will learn more about Mexican cuisine, on beyond taquerias (but not neglecting those either).

I will teach some kind of holiday/culturally-related cooking class at my church (I helped a children's RE class cook felafels a couple of months ago and had a ball!)

I will read more stuff about the relationship between food, culture, and environment

This is the year I will trymy damnedest to get some kind of gig as a food writer somewhere, however modest

I will taste more of my food as I eat it, as opposed to just mindlessly inhaling it (see resolution about mindful eating above)

I will use produce from a CSA (dependent upon achieving a cooking/living arrangement where I am free to make as much cooking-vegetable smells as I wanna)

I will give some of my cooking time and skills to charities that can use them

What a great idea, I was just thinking about the goals I have for the coming year. This will be fun to revisit throughout the year to indicate when something is accomplished and at the end of the year to see how we did!

In 2006, I will eat because I am hungry, not because I am bored/stressed

I will make my friends and family know they are cherished via time spent and food lovingly prepared.

I will find a use for all those interesting pantry items that were purchased many moons ago.

I will learn how to bake a beautiful cake, how to make bread and candies

I will teach my cat to make my morning coffee :raz:

I will read. I always read, this one is easy. I'll not use reading so much as a procrastination tool.

This is the year I will try to learn to enjoy the process of cleaning my kitchen as I enjoy the process of cooking.

I will taste foods at the restaurants I'm dying to go to.

I will use my leftovers in creative ways instead of using my refrigerator as a holding bay until garbage day.

I will give myself a break every now and again.

I am absolutely blessed with the best husband and family. I will be more thankful every day for the wonderful life I have to live.

We are going to lose some damn weight by moving more. Period. End of story!

My kids are my neices and nephew and I will try to be more involved with their lives.

Whew, I did it! I didn't think I was going to fill them all out!

eta: brevity

Edited by Genny (log)

In 2006, I will eat farmers market goods at least twice a month

I will make my own guanciale.

I will find a place to buy dragonfruit

I will learn how to make my own stocks

I will teach someone where on the cow the hanger steak comes from.

I will read Stiengarten’s “it must have been something I ate.”

This is the year I will try to be less preachy when dealing with picky eaters

I will taste six different types of whiskey that I’ve never had before

I will use a newly acquired Japanese chef’s knife.

I will give a dinner party for friends as often as I can talk them into eating my cooking.

I will not be embarrassed about eating pig’s jowls.

We will invest in a few bottles of wine for special occasions.

Alamut was the mountain fortress of Hassan i Sabbah and the later heads of the Assassins. Alamut represents more than just a physical place, more even than a symbolic home of the movement. Alamut was with you in what you did; Alamut was in your heart from the moment of your arrival and introduction to "Heaven" until the moment you died.

In 2006:

I will eat something that grosses someone else out.

I will make potstickers/Chinese dumplings.

I will find my inner soup dude, and spread out beyond chicken, squash, and carrot.

I will learn to make sausage or pate/terrines, some sort of starter charcuterie. Also I will learn more about dough. And butchering.

I will teach because I can't "do". Ha ha, just kidding. I don't know anything of value.

I will read more forums in eG than I currently do. (There you go, the secret's out, I don't read everything in here.)

This is the year I will try to start a thread that ends up getting locked!

I will taste life, and suck the marrow from its bones. Or maybe just the sweet taste of victory. Either one is good.

I will use common sense.

I will give and take.

I am a cynical bastard. And lucky to have gotten the girl I got.

We are a surprisingly good fit.

My kids I refuse to joke about this one, lest God decide to send one of them "happy accidents" this way.

I will eat whatever I damn want because I shall be living an admirably active lifestyle.

I will make love on my kitchen counter next to the pears and cutlery.

I find seafood on my plate every other day.

I will learn to accept that I can only drink so much water before drowning.

I will teach my husband to appreciate the nuances of French cooking.

I will read more about ancient peoples food.

This year I will try to grow the best tomatoes, herbs, chilis and lettuce on the planet.

I will taste the sweet elixir of success on my endeavor above. :raz:

I will use my perfectly capable mind to hone my knife skills on food rather than myself.

I will take more than I give. Hey, its the way of The Dark Side.

I am sure that I can prepare food that will bring tears of joy and gratitude to my husbands eyes.

We will visit Sauvies Island markets so often that they will know us by name.

My kids...whoops! am i pregnant?!

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

2006 will be the year I eat whatever I want to without apologizing to the Culinary Polizia. At all. As a matter of fact, I believe I will indeed be laughingly rude to whomever questions what I eat.

I'll make friends this year with people who are curious about food in ways beyond the mundane or simplistic, in ways philosophic that extends beyond the fork plate cut of meat tastebud and perfectly placed napkin (of recyclable paper or linen - doesn't matter much to me).

In searching each day, I'll find a path that fits me, where there are smiles and welcomes along with any shared recipes. This is possible, I know (for anyone that doubts it, for themselves or for me :biggrin: ) for I've experienced it before.

I'll learn to walk away when it is time to walk away without looking back in either anger or disgust, from any bad meal that I might eat without being aware that it *was* bad, before tasting it.

I have no ideas of what I have to teach, if anything, except just to do one's best at whatever task happens to be there. Maybe I can teach someone that if the bread comes out strange or lumpy, just make it into croutons. . .if the cake is flat, make it into a trifle. If the fruit is tasteless - well. Just don't buy fruit at that store again.

I'll read Rochefoucald and Martha Grimes, SJ Perelman and Oscar Wilde.

I will try to rid my shelves of the endless piles of cookbooks that sit, quietly, waiting, never to be used by me. Someone else might like them very much.

To taste? More things that taste of themselves, hopefully. That might mean starting a garden and building a chicken coop. I sort of hope not, though.

I'll use the things in the cupboard up before buying more or different, for this mass consumption is beginning to seem endlessly obnoxious.

I, we, my kids: All I can hope for here is health and goodwill. That, is no small hope, is it.

I hope this for each one of you, too.

Happy 2006 and many returns.

Genny, regarding the contents of your refrigerator, I would like to second your resolution. I was thinking of something along those lines, but not in such witty terms.

And Karen, Carrot Top, don't be so modest. I for one have learned a lot from you, as have the children of the corn.

And as for ma petite chou-chou, well, there's no smilie icon with flushed cheeks, so let me merely :wink: .

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

In 2006:

I will eat something that grosses someone else out.

I will make potstickers/Chinese dumplings.

Do you have a digital camera? Share, though I'd vote for posts of the latter.

And Alamut, I'll send you detailed instructions for an excellent chicken stock if you find a sure way to make guanciale!

In 2006...

I will eat well, as always;

I will make recipes I have been wanting to try, such as Klary's Dutch Style Braised Beef;

I will find more time to devote to my culinary passions, including eGullet;

I will learn to use more features of my new camera for taking food photos;

I will teach myself more about food photography;

I will read more;

I will try to spend less time prepping and cooking on weeknights, and have simpler, less time-consuming weeknight meals;

I will taste everything I possibly can;

I will use my skills more efficiently and more productively;

I will give more time to the eGullet Society;

I will decide whether or not to turn CulinaryPassions.com into something;

We will continue to be good together, in the kitchen as well as in other rooms of the house;

:wub: and

My kids are great, and in 2006 and forever more, will mean the world to me.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

In 2006 I will find a way to get over my cooking ennui. I don't mean to brag, but the fact is I'm a very good cook, and over a thirty year span I have taken on most major cuisines, mastered bread and pastry and put out a real dinner every single night.I'm looking for new worlds to conquer, but I'm not sure of the geography.

I will have more dinner parties, becuase they stimulate creativity and I love the company of my friends, the most talented cooks and hedonists ever: the Chicago eGulls.

I will put aside a few dollars a week in a restauarant fund, so I can eat at Alinea and Mota and Mr. Beef. I don't get out enough.

And i'll crank out 2000 words a week.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Ooh, I love these!

In 2006, I will eat every meal sitting down or at least not standing up.

I will make my husband learn how to put one meal on the table that doesn't involve reheating or making a phone call.

I will find a job!

I will learn to cook something new -- a cuisine, an ingredient. I know it's out there ...

I will teach people to view cooking as an adventure, and food as something not to be feared!

I will read Frank Bruni's column every week, no matter how painful it is

This is the year I will try to not get frustrated when I see how other people use their knives

I will taste one thing a week that I've never tasted before

I will use one method each month that someone else teaches me

I will give free cooking lessons to people who want to learn but have no way of affording it ...

I will be a better wife, mother, friend, cook, teacher

We will have a new kitchen at our house, and a big party to celebrate it! (you're all invited ...)

My kids will continue to be the reasons I regret nothing in my life before they came to be. If it had gone otherwise -- even the misdirected career choices I'd made -- they wouldn't be here. :wub:

I will finish school and I will get an agent to look at my book. And I will not apolgize for having a family and putting them first when they need to be.

And last, I'll be thankful everu day to eGullet; through it, I've connected with like-minded, terrific, funny, interesting and provocative people.

Happy, Merry, Joyous!

Fabby.

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

• 3 weeks later...

I will eat more turnips in 2006.

It's not that I don't like turnips and am taking on a duty. I like them fine.

It's not that I don't eat enough fruits and vegetables. Never had that problem.

It's just that when it comes to root vegetables, I usually buy the same old same old.

Turnips are sweet and lighter than potatoes in soup. They are glorious roasted.

Then, on to the next item that sits in the folding chair at the far end of the gymnasium, dress pressed, hands folded in lap, dangling her legs, swinging them back and forth, waiting, just waiting to be asked to dance.

In 2006, I will eat whatever I like... screw diets!

I will make and bring my lunches so I don't have to resort to mcD's or vendo land

I will find more little local ethnic dives that I love

I will learn how to cook vietnamese and korean recipes as I adore these cuisines but have never tried my hand at them

I will teach my friends about various cuisine I like to eat (see blog)

I will read more classics. Currently reading Dracula.

This is the year I will try african cuisine. Theres a new ghanian restaurant I read about in the news. Can't wait to try it!

I will taste different cheese. Used to hate cheese now I want to know what the big deal is.

I will use more organic products as my local grocery store is really getting into providing more organic products.

I will give but hopefully I can just share or maybe even take :raz:

I will participate more on eGullet instead of just lurking.

We er.. as in the royal we? Why yes I also answer to your majesty :cool::wink:

My kids umm... last I check I'm neither virginal or named Mary so... :laugh:

Ok, since I DO have kids, and little ones at that, I don't have time to think up, write down, (and much less) achieve some of the lengthy resolutions you all have put forth. Bravo to everyone, however.

And thank you for helping me solidify my own culinary goals for the year:

-Hold a crawfish boil (to double as a fundraiser for Katrina relief) in the Spring, and a tamalada in the Fall.

-Join a CSA.

-Corollary to above: bring kids to work on CSA's farm.

-Grow some kickass tomatoes.

-Do some anthropological or historical food reading.

-Try salsifry.

-Eat and learn to better prepare loads of veggies.

-Raise the bar on my home cooking/ingredient purchasing across the bar.

-Get a stand mixer!!!!!!!!!!!!

-In highchef's words, go "full circle". Visit New Orleans and inject a bit of cash into the economy. Get fed well in the meantime.

Edited by bavila (log)

Bridget Avila

My Blog

In 2006, I will eat more local organic food. I will try to be conscious of the journey the food takes to my plate and aware of the quality of the farmer's lives who grow it.

I will make sour cherry pie and chocolate pudding cake.

I will find more friends to sing, dance, laugh, debate and eat with.

I will learn to whisper.

I will teach children how to mispronounce ceviche, chitpotle, merlot, etc.

I will read more poetry and purely escapist fiction.

This is the year I will try to be more organized and patient in the kitchen.

I will taste with my tongue, my heart and my brain.

I will use my time as creatively as possible.

I will give my partner the weirdest fortieth birthday party ever.

I will give more dinner parties and organize more potluck dinners.

"We" need to put a dimmer switch in the dining room.

My kid will expand his palate and learn better table manners.

I will eat my daily reccomended allowance of chocolate.

Zuke

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

In 2006, I will eat ethnic dishes I've never tried before.

I will make real dinner rolls--sayonara, Doughboy!--and real bread.

I will find either permanent employment, or more freelance gigs, or both--and maybe even my voice as a food writer!

I will learn more about wine, now that Jonathan Newman's made it more affordable to do so.

I will teach myself how to prepare great meals that my diabetic roommate can enjoy.

I will read Steven Shaw's book, and maybe even subscribe to Cook's Illustrated.

This is the year I will try all those unusual cheeses I see at DiBruno's every time I visit.

I will taste a little bit of everything the great buffet of life has to offer. Except deep sea diving--I can't even stay afloat.

I will use more fresh ingredients and locally produced foods this year.

I will give myself permission to override my innate impulse towards frugality every now and then in order to splurge on really good food and ingredients.

I have much to be thankful for, including good health and good friends. I resolve to have more of the latter over for dinner, or to dine out with them more often.

We don't go out together much anymore. I'm of two minds about fixing this, but I'll continue to offer him the chance to accompany me to a good restaurant meal when I have the opportunity to write about a place to eat.

My kids? What kids? I've got my hands full with my partner, two cats, a roommate and a cast of friends, acquaintances and hangers-on. Feeding them is challenge enough.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

In 2006, I will eat nothing that resembles Mc Ds or like fast food (This does not include pizza, dirty water dogs or the whizmush from genos)

I will make my first dinner for the kids without my wife’s help.

I will find places to shop for fresh, affordable ingredients outside of my local supermarket.

I will learn how to cook!!!

I will teach my children as I learn.

I will read the cookbooks in my wife’s collection with interest.

This is the year I will try not to spend more than $15 on a single bottle of wine.

I will taste as opposed to eat.

I will use a sharp knife to cut things without fear.

I will give myself hell if I don’t at least attempt some of these things listed above.

I will contribute on this site more than I lurk.

We will take a vacation this year, and it will be more than a long weekend (we say this every year….work work work)

My kids will wash the dishes!

mike

-Mike & Andrea

In 2006, I will eat nothing that resembles Mc Ds or like fast food (This does not include pizza, dirty water dogs or the whizmush from genos)

:hmmm: These parenthetical exceptions seem to demonstrate the weakness of the resolution, dude.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

:hmmm: These parenthetical exceptions seem to demonstrate the weakness of the resolution, dude.

:laugh: A bigmac I can live without but a dog with ketchup and onions...that would have been asking too much!

-Mike & Andrea

:laugh: A bigmac I can live without but a dog with ketchup and onions...that would have been asking too much!

I feel you, man. You'll note, of course, that I've not made a single damned resolution in this thread (or elsewhere, I'll add).

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I don't have as many as some of you, so this is pretty free form:

In 2006, I will learn to make bread from scratch by hand, not with the bread machine.

I will finally dig out my pasta maker and make fresh noodles.

I will make more chicken and beef stock.

I will make more pie crust and pastry from scratch.

I will keep expanding my repertoire of dishes.

I'm sure there are many more, but these are the ones that come to mind first. I usually don't make resolutions, but I think these should be easy to do. I'm not sure how they will fit in with the needing to lose weight and eating healthier, but I'll figure it out. :biggrin:

I don't mind the rat race, but I'd like more cheese.

I'm sure there are many more, but these are the ones that come to mind first.  I usually don't make resolutions, but I think these should be easy to do.  I'm not sure how they will fit in with the needing to lose weight and eating healthier, but I'll figure it out.  :biggrin:

(emphasis added)

Notice I didn't say anything about that.

I don't recall anyone else doing so in this discussion, either.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

In 2006, I will eat under trees, on a blanket, more often.

I will make croquettes.

I will find a way to get my forty spice jars out of the country when we move.

I will learn how to cook for others without having a panic attack.

I will teach egg whites a thing or two.

I will read all of Kafka.

This is the year I will try to make my great-grandmother's risotto recipe from scratch, no cheating.

I will taste with all my senses.

I will use my mandoline without fear.

I will give up on the fantasy of having a dishwasher.

I willnever, ever eat lima beans.

We do not discuss peanut butter with each other. (I love it, he despises it.)

My kids will have a genetic predisposition for peanut butter and kolachy.

• 4 weeks later...