• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch in Montclair

SusanGiff

Ack! I'm arranging lunch for a small group of us who go out every month or so, and we were all set for Blu, but they're still not doing it.

Does anyone have a list or link (Rosie?) of restaurants that are open for lunch in town? We usually go to Raymond's or Aozora, but for since it's holiday time, I was hoping for something different (but not Table 8).

Thanks!

Susan

My s-i-l tells me that lunch at Osteria Giotto is terrific AND a bargain...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Ooh, Giotto! One of my favorites! Thanks guys.

Have you eaten at Mark and Eric's, Rosie? I read about it on Baristanet and it sounded intriguing. Maybe I should check it out before our annual New Year's Day party. Why cook?

Thanks again.

Susan

Lalazar

Egan & Sons

Greek Delights--booths only sit 4

Marc & Eric’s Kitchen Pantry and Catering, This is more of a take-out so call to see how many they can handle

Palazzo

I'm fairly certain that Egan & Sons is NOT open for lunch. Neither is Table 8.

Lalazar

Egan & Sons

Marc & Eric’s Kitchen Pantry and Catering, This is more of a take-out so call to see how many they can handle

Palazzo

As far as Egan's goes, it's just as well, really. Nice room and a good bar, but the food is pretty horrible.

"All humans are out of their f*cking minds -- every single one of them."

-- Albert Ellis

Little Saigon is open for lunch, and they have quite a number of very reasonably priced lunch specials in addition to their regular menu.

The do a nice job, and it is usually quiet there during lunch.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

In any case, Egan's is open for lunch.

Did this just happen? I went 3 weeks ago, assuming they did lunch, and couldn't find it so I called them for directions. They said they were not open for lunch. I also tried Table 8 on a whim, since someone posted on baristanet that they were open for lunch. No such luck.

Edit: I had to call both places to see if I am going crazy. Apparently I am, since they both claim that they are now open for lunch.

Edited by pete ganz (log)

Lalazar

Egan & Sons

Palazzo

As far as Egan's goes, it's just as well, really. Nice room and a good bar, but the food is pretty horrible.

Horrible???? 3 1/2 star for food (Star-Ledger). Local and not so local chef hang-out (yes, for food). Really hard to get a table on week-ends.

Lalazar

Egan & Sons

Palazzo

Horrible???? 3 1/2 star for food (Star-Ledger). Local and not so local chef hang-out (yes, for food). Really hard to get a table on week-ends.

I'm not sure what the critics at the Star Ledger ordered. I find that they tend to overcook their food. Though the last time I was there, I ordered the hanger steak and it was very good, not to mention cooked to order.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

In any case, Egan's is open for lunch.

Did this just happen? I went 3 weeks ago, assuming they did lunch, and couldn't find it so I called them for directions. They said they were not open for lunch. I also tried Table 8 on a whim, since someone posted on baristanet that they were open for lunch. No such luck.

Edit: I had to call both places to see if I am going crazy. Apparently I am, since they both claim that they are now open for lunch.

I drive by Egan's several times a week. This week I noticed that they have a big banner draped over the storefront that says NOW OPEN FOR LUNCH. Not sure exactly how long it's been there but it's there now.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Lalazar

Egan & Sons

Palazzo

I'm not sure what the critics at the Star Ledger ordered. I find that they tend to overcook their food. Though the last time I was there, I ordered the hanger steak and it was very good, not to mention cooked to order.

Perhaps I was a bit hasty with "horrible," but certainly no better than fair. I had high hopes for the place -- and I hope they improve -- but I've found it to be a real disappointment.

The Ledger's welcome to its opinion, but overall I think I'll stick with mine. I've been there three times, and each time has been worse than the last. Food generally not cooked to temperature, a seafood pie that seemed to have been microwaved and that contained flakes of fish so small they were nearly unidentifiable, a salad ordered with vinaigrette dressing to which no oil had ever been introduced, french fries served cold and what I considered a sub-standard burger for this kind of place.

Good bar, though.

"All humans are out of their f*cking minds -- every single one of them."

-- Albert Ellis

I completely agree-Egan & Sons IS always packed--but the food is just okay. I think you have to go there knowing that it's best to stick to the pub food, i.e. the wings, burgers, etc. I've been pretty disappointed by almost anything else I've had there. And I don't know if it's because the kitchen is downstairs and there's a time delay in getting the food upstairs, but they do seem to have a consistent issue with meat being overcooked.

But it's a great bar, with great staff, and it's family-friendly, single-friendly, friend-friendly, and couple-friendly. That's a bigger reason why it's always packed, imo--everyone feels welcome there!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

We had lunch at Table 8 well over a month ago--maybe it was a Monday that you tried? Nothing in Montclair is open on Monday.

Lalezar is open on Mondays, at least according to the schedule posted by their door, I double-checked it today.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Okay, maybe not literally nothing!

Anyhow, thanks for all the suggestions. We ate at Giotto--it was terrific, and nice to be back, because I never can seem to get a reservation for dinner anymore. I shared a risotto with sausage anda very good salad special with walnuts, apples, and pecorino; two of my friends also had salads and shared the seafood pasta. Plenty of food for everyone (especially after the chocolate mousse cake for dessert). A perfect holiday lunch. Or any day, for that matter.

Susan