• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

chocolate shortbread

jayhay

Thinking of Hostess Gifts.....

I've just made the dough for chocolate shortbread using a recipe from CAPRIAL'S CAFE cookbook, & it tastes wonderful. Very intense flavour....( I used Dutch process cocoa , although it didn't specify it.)

My question is:

seeing as how I would like to give these cookies as gifts, should I bake, & let them "ripen" the way I do with Scotch shortbread, or freeze the dough, & bake as needed?

You can do it either way. If you freeze the unbaked dough it will last a little longer than freezing the baked dough. Just be sure you wrapit airtight and your freezer is very cold, and the dough will last for 2 months.

Eileen

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

You can do it either way. If you freeze the unbaked dough it will last a little longer than freezing the baked dough. Just be sure you wrapit airtight and your freezer is very cold, and the dough will last for 2 months.

Eileen

Thanks for your reply Eileen. I'm sorry, I didn't make myself clear...

Actually, I was wondering if I should bake the cookies & then store them in an airtight container , so they "ripen"...for a few days.

OR...

Should I freeze the unbaked dough, & bake as needed.

What are the advantages to "ripening" Scottish shortbread? (I've never done this.)

They go better with oats and suet cooked in a sheep's stomach. :laugh:

He who distinguishes the true savor of his food can never be a glutton; he who does not cannot be otherwise. --- Henry David Thoreau

I don't think I made myself clear, either. :wacko:

If you freeze the shaped, unbaked dough in zipper bags that are properly sealed, you can take out what you need and bake it, keeping the rest in the freezer for another time. I do it all the time. No sense having old cookies around if you can bake them fresh. Lay the shaped dough out on baking sheets and place the baking sheet in the freezer uncovered. When the cookies are frozen, quickly transfer them to the zipper bags and return to the freezer.

Shortbread does last a long time, and I know some people prefer it "aged" but I'm not one of them. However, that being said, I do let the butter set out for a couple days before I make shortbread with it.

Hope that helps.

Eileen

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

My mother always stored her shortbreads in an earthenware crock for at least a week before she planned to serve them. We thought it improved the flavour & they became more tender, just assumed everyone did it that way.

I think these chocolate shortbread cookies might be better baked & served fresh, so I'll freeze the dough & bake as needed.