• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fruit cake, where to find a good one

Hi, Christmas is fast coming and my girlfriend, ever so nostalgic, is looking to find a good or even great fruit cake, not those carboard boxes tasting things that we too often find on the market. Anybody knows where to find a good yet affordable fruit cake? Merci mille fois!!!

Edited by Campofiorin (log)

There is a Trappist monastery in Gethsemani Kentucky that makes the best fruitcake in the whole US of A. Its not just my impression of their fruit cake. The Wall Street Journal (what business they have reviewing foods is beyond me) has done an annual rating of fruitcakes each December and the monastery has come out #1 for the last 5 years running. In any case, their stuff is just superb; even people who hate fruitcake love these cakes (the monks use plenty of bourbon). They also sell bourbon fudge and some really excellently crafted cheeses. All of their stuff is available over the website monks.org, but they’re probably pretty busy this time of the year.

Alamut was the mountain fortress of Hassan i Sabbah and the later heads of the Assassins. Alamut represents more than just a physical place, more even than a symbolic home of the movement. Alamut was with you in what you did; Alamut was in your heart from the moment of your arrival and introduction to "Heaven" until the moment you died.

So , did you try the fruit cake from Marché des saveurs ? I want to be able to give the comments back to Isabelle and Simon of MdS ! I know they would like to know if there " home" products are good !

PS: we are making peanuts today , so tomorrow for sure , a new batch will be at MdS !

visit my fondation: www.ptitslutins.org

I started a food blog : http://antoniodelaruepapineau.blogspot.com/

(in french)