• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO: "A Family Place a Cut Above the Chains"

Busboy

OK. Mom and Dad want fish. The kids hate fish. Mom is relatively adventurous, dad is relatively not. My wife and I are omniverous, but not in charge. The upscale joint we proposed have been vetoed. Money is no object, but kind of an object.

Where do we find "some place with a larger variety of menu selection. Perhaps a family restaurant that is a cut above the chains."

Visions of Buco de Beppo are dancing through my head with the vehemence of cheap pop-song refrain, clouding my inability to think. The obvious (Ray's, Cordouroy) have been considered and rejected. Any other suggestions?

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

OK.  Mom and Dad want fish.  The kids hate fish.  Mom is relatively adventurous, dad is relatively not. My wife and I are omniverous, but not in charge.  The upscale joint we proposed have been vetoed.  Money is no object, but kind of an object.

Where do we find "some place with a larger variety of menu selection. Perhaps a family restaurant that is a cut above the chains."

Visions of Buco de Beppo are dancing through my head with the vehemence of cheap pop-song refrain, clouding my inability to think.  The obvious (Ray's, Cordouroy) have been considered and rejected.  Any other suggestions?

It's a chain but McCormick and Schmick's isn't too bad. The Bethesda location in particular seems to try hard.

Hank's? Or is there nothing for the kids there?

What about Al Tiramisu? I've always had great fish there.

Good luck!

Jennifer

OK.  Mom and Dad want fish.  The kids hate fish.  Mom is relatively adventurous, dad is relatively not. My wife and I are omniverous, but not in charge.  The upscale joint we proposed have been vetoed.  Money is no object, but kind of an object.

Visions of Buco de Beppo are dancing through my head with the vehemence of cheap pop-song refrain, clouding my inability to think.  The obvious (Ray's, Cordouroy) have been considered and rejected.  Any other suggestions?

It's a chain but McCormick and Schmick's isn't too bad. The Bethesda location in particular seems to try hard.

Hank's? Or is there nothing for the kids there?

What about Al Tiramisu? I've always had great fish there.

Good luck!

Jennifer

M&S might be worth checking out. It would kill me to go to a chain joint instead of Black Salt or Pesce, but maybe their chain-ness forces them to put a little more non-fish on the menu, which will keep the (let me be clear: too old to be so damn whiny about fish) kids happy.

I'm boycotting Hank's because they took over from Trio's subs. Also, the parents (and I, with this crew) prefer a reservation-oriented, formalish-ish spot. I don't see us standing in line on Q street for a table.

I'll look into AT.

Anyone know if they serve fish in Palena's front room (besides that on the formal menu?)

I'm on the pavement

How about Majestic Cafe in Alexandria or Black's in Bethesda?  Both have good size menus, variety and fairly mainstream.

Transport could be a problem, since our car won't transport six comfortably and two cabs to the suburbs is a bit pricey, but those are both ideas to consider (and to file away for future reference).

Also, it dawned on me as I took the bus to work that it's possible that the place my parents want, may be (gasp) Old Ebbit. Damn them!

I'll get my revenge via the wine list.

I'm on the pavement

DC Coast or some other representative of the Tunks empire?

Whatever happened to Tunks? Didn't he used to be cool?

His places are still cool for occasions like this Cutting edge they aren't. Reliable they are.

Bill Russell

How about 2941? He-he. (I actually took my kids there for Christmas one year) (Colvin Run the next).

I thinks the Tunks Empire restaurants are my kids favorite though. And oh yeah, they like Mie-n-Yu too.

Edited by raisab (log)

Paris is a mood...a longing you didn't know you had, until it was answered.

-An American in Paris

Veto Corduroy? Heathens! Dino usually has a whole broiled fish of some kind. And that tasty baby octopus appetizer besides. Then they can have fish, and you can have wild boar, and everybody can have lots and lots of wine. But possibly, not formal-ish enough.

But you might be right about Old Ebbitt. It won't soar, but it won't sink.

Cooking and writing and writing about cooking at the SIMMER blog

Pop culture commentary at Intrepid Media

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Unfortunately, it is an unadventurous Christmas this year and despite the many e-mails with website links and praise of the restaurants you mentioned I dispatched to the Home Office. We are going to the New Behemouth Clyde's at Gallery place, Old Ebbitt, the first choice, being booked.

Oh well. At least we can go bowling afterwards.

I'm on the pavement