• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Simplehuman Pod Brewer

Jason Perlow

I wanted to show everyone my first photos of the Simplehuman unit we got in for evaluation:

gallery_2_2143_44786.jpg

gallery_2_2143_69632.jpg

gallery_2_2143_35222.jpg

I'm going to have a more formalized review in a few days -- but my first impressions are that this is a really nice machine, that makes really good pod coffee, and is really easy to use, albeit with a quirk (that I was able to resolve) which I will initally toss up as bad luck -- the reservoir tank that came with the unit had a defective plastic part which holds the water sensor down, that fell off in shipping (obviously due to lack of adhesive -- which is probably a manufacturing line screw up) and we temporarily fixed it with duct tape (I am going to get some superglue tomorrow to make the fix permanent). Simplehuman is sending me a replacement reservoir tank, so I will let you know shortly if this one was a fluke or not.

Other than the stupid plastic tab which fell off in the water tank, this is a really well built machine, and it makes really good coffee from standard Senseo-size pods.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

In a sense it's a Catch 22 because most people won't buy much espresso until they've actually tasted the good stuff. The perceoption that "espresso is bitter (in a bad way) is still rampant. Progress is moving along but it remains a challenge.

Ugh. In at least one cafe in Urbana, next to "Espresso" on the overhead sign it says "if you don't know what it is, you probably don't want it." Which I suppose is true, because their espresso is completely undrinkable bitter sludge, but it would be nice if company policy weren't officially that it is undrinkable bitter sludge.

We just sold the superautomatic we got as a wedding gift (to an office, where it makes actually makes sense to have one) and are replacing it with a Silvia + Rocky combo. But the superauto definitely got points on convenience, so I can see why the pod systems would be attractive.

edit: I should add, so we don't look like completely ungrateful jerks, that we are moving from 110v to 220v system so the big machine couldn't come with us.

Edited by Behemoth (log)

Does the digital readout in the circular panel have a functionality other than to show you the selected cup size?

It has a clock and tells you about the status of the boiler and if you need to refill.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

I've never tried the coffee that comes out of the Senseo, so it's not appropriate for me to say. I defnitely think the Simplehuman is a very well engineered machine overall and it makes very good coffee provided you are using good pods. So far I can only compare it to the Melitta, and I would say its a better engineered unit than the Melitta overall and probably a lot more durable.