• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

German Pinot Noir

Bill Miller

I thought I saw these mentioned here somewhere but I can't find the thread. Now I have a bottle----party gift. Beautiful light red bottle--shaped like a triangle--Mosel river area. Right now it is a beautiful party decoration. Has anyone had one of these? Should I try it or give it the fruitcake treatment and pass it on? It is beautiful.

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.

Apparently can be quite good. I've been told that it depends on where you got it from, as in an export wine, of which there aren't many and are usually fairly ordinary, but if it's the local German 'stash', then it can be very good.

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

Generally speaking, Spatburgunder (Pinot Noir) is light and delicate and occassionally, if you are traveling in German wine country, you can find one that resembles a fine example. The best ones never leave their home turf as production levels are tiny. I have been privileged to taste a few that were quite good. Most are harvested at Spaetlese level and then fermented Trocken (dry.)

Phil

I have never met a miserly wine lover

I thought I saw these mentioned here somewhere but I can't find the thread. Now I have a bottle----party gift. Beautiful light red bottle--shaped like a  triangle--Mosel river area.  Right now it is a beautiful party decoration.  Has anyone had one of these?  Should I try it or give it the fruitcake treatment and pass it on? It is beautiful.

Bill,

I've had several Spatburgunders. They are a very delightful. The normal ones that I have drunk are relatively unchallenging, but refreshing. The good ones that I have had took my breath away.

Do drink it yourself. I would suggest with a city ham with cheddar sandwich on crusty bread. Kind of a lunch wine.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.