• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant Recomendation Needed

jrichman

Personally, I'd make a res at Blu in Montclair; it's all of about 6-8 miles away (less if you know the shortcuts), and well worth the trip. Lots of photos from our recent dinner there are on page 2 of the thread.

Or, if you're looking for a completely different atmosphere and are going to dinner with a large group, there's Cuban Pete's.

You may also want to check this thread...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

In South Orange:

Cafe Arugula 59 South Orange Ave South Orange  201-378-9099

Both BYO.

I'll second Cafe Arugula. The food is always good, and the prices are reasonable. Factor in that it's on the same main road as Seton Hall, and that it's BYO with several nearby liquor stores, and it's a quality convenient place to dine near Seton Hall.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

I work at Seton Hall so......

If you want to stay in South Orange, Cafe Arugala is a nice Italian/continental, fusion place in town. Ariyoshi is new having been a former Asian fusion place which was very good and reasonable. I don't know about the new Japanese concept.

I think I'd venture over to West Orange to the Manor. The portions are huge; you can have price fixed or buffet. The building and grounds are fantastic.

Here is their web address: Check it out. http://www.themanorrestaurant.com/

I'd also venture straight down South Orange Ave. into Newark to the Ironbound district. It's only about 4 miles, but it will take you 20 minutes because of lights and traffic.

Right on Ferry Street are Forno's (Spanish) or Iberia (Portuguese) Right off of Ferry Street on Monroe is Brasilla Grille. You can have Rodizio at Iberia/Brasilla. Forno's portions are obscene; so is the Rodizio or anything else at the others. Forno's is slightly pricier than Iberia or Brasilla.

Enjoy!!

Edited by South Jersey Epicurean (log)