• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Casual Thai - Hoboken, NJ

jrichman

Made it to Casual Thai in Hoboken, NJ recently and really enjoyed the meal. Great service, excellent food and perfect location right on Washington Street in Hoboken. We got the following:

- Appetizer: Satay - It was a mix of both chicken and beef with 2 sauces on the side - a peanut sauce and a sweet sauce

- Entrees: Pad Gra Pow with Chicken & Pad Thai With Chicken.

- Sides: Brown Rice and Sticky Rice

Unfortunately, no room for dessert!

Anyone else ever been here, thoughts, reviews, etc!!!

I highly recommend this place, really a great meal at a very reasonable price.

Sure....

1006 Washington St. Hoboken, New Jersey 07030

Telephone - (201) 656-6108

Enjoy!

Made it to Casual Thai in Hoboken, NJ recently and really enjoyed the meal.  Great service, excellent food and perfect location right on Washington Street in Hoboken.  We got the following:

- Appetizer: Satay - It was a mix of both chicken and beef with 2 sauces on the side - a peanut sauce and a sweet sauce

- Entrees: Pad Gra Pow with Chicken & Pad Thai With Chicken.

- Sides: Brown Rice and Sticky Rice

Unfortunately, no room for dessert! 

Anyone else ever been here, thoughts, reviews, etc!!!

I highly recommend this place, really a great meal at a very reasonable price.

They have been open for at least 1.5 years (I work across the street). I never see any business in there, and I took a look at their menu once and it seemed rather inviting. I am such a fan of Sri Thai or Wondees that I must admit I have not tried this spot. I think they are BYO.

Yes, they are BYO. I have heard great things about Sri Thai as well...is Sri Thai as good as all the hype they get? Also where is Wondees?

Considering you work across the street, I recomment stopping in, I think you'll enjoy it.

They have been open for at least 1.5 years (I work across the street).  I never see any business in there, and I took a look at their menu once and it seemed rather inviting.  I am such a fan of Sri Thai or Wondees that I must admit I have not tried this spot.  I think they are BYO.

Casual Thai is owned by the same owners as Hoboken Cottage, Precious, Robongi (and for a brief stint, Iluzion).

I think the food is good although didn't like their satay very much.

I still think that Sri Thai is best for thai food, and given that it's closer to where we live, it is where we usually go (and get take out very frequently).

Edited by thereuare (log)

• 1 year later...

Had a great lunch at Casual Thai. I had the Pad Gra Paw: Chicken sauteed with chili, garlic, and basil served with brown rice and soup / sald. I got the soup. It was delicious and I recommend this place even for people not living in Hoboken, a very friendly atmosphere with great food and reasonable prices. Here is a picture (sorry for the quality - I used a cell phone)

gallery_26061_3411_35854.jpg

Casual Thai is owned by the same owners as Hoboken Cottage, Precious, Robongi (and for a brief stint, Iluzion).

Though they don't own all those any more, those places are all characterized by overly sweet, highly 'yuppified' food. (I didn't mean that to be offensive to anyone. It's not just "Americanized", as is standardly applied to "Chinese" food, but somehow "yuppified"; to me, it's all sugar-sweet slop that's served in tiny portions and plated to look like it came from a starred chef.)

I haven't had Casual Thai in a few years for that reason, and perhaps it has changed.

Sri Thai is much better on some nights, but still doesn't hold a candle to Wondee in Hackensack.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's