• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oil Separation in Gumbos, Curries

Chris Amirault

So, my last experience with gumbo tells me not to multi task as much when I am adding the stock to the roux. Get off the phone, quit worrying about the laundry. I had more of a separation issue this past time.

I will say that my stock was COLD. To the point that there were still a few ice crystals. I dumped it all in and stirred like crazy.

So, time for us to eat the leftovers, assuming I can find them under the snow pile on the deck (!) and make another batch of gumbo, and more carefully document my process and make sure my stock isn't still bearing ice crystals, and say to hell with the laundry and the other stuff and ladle that stock in more carefully.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"