• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best restaurants in the West End?

waylman

i really like the banana leaf

Me too! One of my favorite malaysian digs

Ok I need some help on this one. I've been the banana leaf on multiple occassions now and I always leave lukewarm about the quality. The food is good but to me it hasn't lived up to the hype. Perhaps I'm ordering the wrong thing....what is that you love? I'm always willing to try again.

Cheers.

I LOVE the roti canai - the chewy, sweet bread served with curry sauce as an appetizer. Also love the green beans, and curries. I find the overall food quality much better than Tropika (on Robson), and just generally less greasy feeling than Tropika. The crab is also supposed to be quite good at Banana Leaf, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

^ The Sea Bass. Unfortunately sea bass is pretty much endangered now so it's up to you whether you want to try it. But their sea bass is amazing.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

I LOVE the roti canai - the chewy, sweet bread served with curry sauce as an appetizer. Also love the green beans, and curries. I find the overall food quality much better than Tropika (on Robson), and just generally less greasy feeling than Tropika. The crab is also supposed to be quite good at Banana Leaf, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Tapastree- Great food right around the corner from Cafe de Paris. Mmmm... Tuna.

i did, upthread!! i love their lamb chops and scalloped potatoes and asparagus. yum!

OMG sorry makanmakan- I scanned to see if anyone mentioned it and didn't see it. Chicken livers are to die for too. :wub:

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

• 3 weeks later...

just have to report that we went to india bistro last night, on davie and loved it!

we'd only done take out from there a couple of times before and always liked it, but after last night, it was love.

we started with the onion bhaji. indian onion rings, but so much better. light chick pea batter, fried to perfection and served with a tamarind dip.

next up was some papadum. grilled, light, crispy and nicely spiced.

our mains were the murgh coconut chicken and the eggplant bartha. the chicken was in a coconut milk curry, very nicely spiced with a good medium heat. the eggplant was first grilled, then cooked with spices, ginger and other good things that made my mouth and lips very warm. the spices were very fresh as well. we paired these with some rice and some garlic naan. the naan was lighter and softer in texture than i'm used to. we quite liked it and it sure made for a good sopping tool!

all that, with a couple of beers (kingfisher for me and raj for him) and the bill was just shy of $45.

and now they deliver...... :wub:

Quentina

just have to report that we went to india bistro last night, on davie and loved it!

we'd only done take out from there a couple of times before and always liked it, but after last night, it was love.

we started with the onion bhaji.  indian onion rings, but so much better.  light chick pea batter, fried to perfection and served with a tamarind dip. 

next up was some papadum.  grilled, light, crispy and nicely spiced.

our mains were the murgh coconut chicken and the eggplant bartha.  the chicken was in a coconut milk curry, very nicely spiced with a good medium heat.  the eggplant was first grilled, then cooked with spices, ginger and other good things that made my mouth and lips very warm.  the spices were very fresh as well.  we paired these with some rice and some garlic naan.  the naan was lighter and softer in texture than i'm used to.  we quite liked it and it sure made for a good sopping tool! 

all that, with a couple of beers (kingfisher for me and raj for him) and the bill was just shy of $45. 

and now they deliver...... :wub:

Glad to see another India Bistro fan. :biggrin:

That location really seemed to be cursed, with several restaurants closing in the past 5 years, but India looks as if it is doing well!

Elizabeth

"The only time to eat diet food is while you're waiting for the steak to cook".

• 4 months later...
For very casual sushi rolls check out Kadoya on Davie.  It is a Chinese run sushi bar, but the fish is quite fresh, and they make some of those North American style creative rolls quite well.  Their sashimi appetizer is a steal as well for $4.95 which normally comes with 4-5 very generous slices of salmon, and 3-4 very generous slices of tuna. 

I must revoke my previous recommendation of Kadoya on Davie. Details in this sushi thread.

Cheers!