• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Marbella at Holidays

Naomi

Yippee,

Have been given the gift of flights and a villa in Marbella over Christmas and New Year. However, as impoverished students we have to hang on to the purse strings. Can anyone give me advice on eating well, but not too expensively in the Marbella/ Peurto Banus area.. (if this is possible?!)

Is Tragabuches worth a splash on one day?

Yippee,

Have been given the gift of flights and a villa in Marbella over Christmas and New Year. However, as impoverished students we have to hang on to the purse strings. Can anyone give me advice on eating well, but not too expensively in the Marbella/ Peurto Banus area.. (if this is possible?!)

Is Tragabuches worth a splash on one day?

Uff...What is expensive for you?....

Tragabuches is a nice choice and you'll have the opportunity to visit Ronda!!!.

R

I've been looking for less expensive things. Not easy in Marbella... For a down-home experience in a real Malagueño country home with regional family-style cuisine, try La Casa de la Era on the Marbella-Coín road. Just the place for a chicken broth with fresh mint, a dish of codfish in tomato sauce, or some baby kid - all that for under €25 per person.

At La Alcaría de Ramos in Estepona, a former Horcher chef serves a very tasty Andalusian/German mix for a pretty reasonable price - around €30.

For good deep-fried fish, Andalusian style, the best bet is a short drive eastward to the Carihuela, Torremolinos' erstwhile fishermen's wharf, and a meal at El Roqueo.

The best tapas bar is Bar Guerra in San Pedro de Alcántara, in the western outskirts of Marbella.

Victor de la Serna

elmundovino

Mr Serna,

I knew you would have some suggestions. Thank you. Those sound just the ticket. I'm sure we will go to Ronda, and will check out calima too... (will look at the menu anyhow!) The other definite trip will be to Jerez and Seville.

Yum,

I can't wait!

• 1 year later...