• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

McDonald’s opens first drive-thru in China

Gifted Gourmet

article is here

The building of China's first McDonald's Drive-thru restaurant within the region, capitalizes on the increasing affluence of Chinese customers in the area and the rapidly expanding auto industry.

“We want to ensure that as the lifestyles of today's Chinese consumers become more demanding, McDonald's is ready to provide a convenient, efficient and quality solution to satisfy the needs of their fast paced lives,” he said.

Going forward, Chinese customers will be able to drive their cars to the McDonald's drive-thru restaurant and enjoy the same great tasting, quality food they love, without leaving the comfort and convenience of their car. 

The times they are a changin' ... why am I so surprised to see this article? Maybe *"The Gang of Four" should read "The Gang of Fries"? :huh:

*Chinese Cultural Revolution reference

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Make no mistake, McDonald's is already everywhere even without the Drive-thru. As far as menu, there's a chicken sandwich to rival KFC, the king of fast food here. A wrap style thing as well with chicken or pork. A Big Mac remains very much a Big Mac. For better or for worse...

EJ

What took them so long?

That was my initial reaction as well! :laugh:

I noticed that when I went to Shanghai and Chengdu, China back in 1993, 2000, and 2001. The answer that I typically received to this question was

a) property is too expensive to 'waste' on car queues,

b) People who can afford cars don't want to be seen eating fast food (the snob factor), and

c) What's the matter, you lazy American? Too fat to fit through the door?

:laugh:

Edited by Singapore (log)

Be polite with dragons, for thou art crunchy and goeth down well with ketchup....

It would indeed be interesting to see what "locally-flavored" gimmicks they think up to draw in the Chinese. McMooShoo? In Turkey, they have a "McPide" sandwich for Ramadan (Pide being the special bread they make during that month), and a couple other items, I believe. I tend to stay away...

In Greece, there is a "McSarakosti" menu. Sarakosti is Lent, when Orthodox Greeks eat no meat or milk products. The catch line under it is "To Ethimo pou Egine Paradosi," or (almost equally meaningless to one who knows Greek), "The Custom that has Become a Tradition." Huh? Now I find myself thinking of what else they might be doing. I'm going over to Greece in a few days, but fortunately the town I'm visiting is still MacDonalds-free.

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria

Where is it?  Shanghai, Beijing or Guangzhou?

Dongguan

"Dongguan is one of the most prosperous cities in China. It ranks extremely high among Chinese cities in both per capita income and number of car owners. And Dongcheng District, where our first Drive-Thru is built, is a significant business and residential area in the city,"

full article here now! :wink:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

What a sad day it is.......the poisoning of the mass begins. Only 1 billion puppets to go. India next.

Smell and taste are in fact but a single composite sense, whose laboratory is the mouth and its chimney the nose. - Anthelme Brillat-Savarin