• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

3 a.m. party grub

chappie

I can also remember several of us hitting a pie cart in Nelson, New Zealand one night after a lengthy period of bonding at a pub. Meat pie, chips and plenty of tomato sauce in the cart "dining area". Stuff you mightn't want to eat sober, but at 3am magnificent.

Blog: http://cookingdownunder.com/blog

Twitter: @patinoz

The floggings will continue until morale improves

In this case, 1am party grub because someone in Seattle had the bright idea of making last call 11:30 pm on a Sunday night. I mean seriously... WTF?

lamb3.jpg

Lamb chop with cumin, chilli, onion, S&P. Didn't even bother defrosting the lamb. Just seared it and bunged it in a hot oven for 15 minutes, deglaze with some flour, a bit of wine & milk. Reminded me a lot of the lamd sticks you get at street vendors in China and it REALLY hit the spot. Mmm...

PS: I am a guy.

I don't do this on a regular basis, but the other night I made a grilled cheese sandwich out of swiss cheese, rye bread, and dill pickle slices

You've got three of Kinsey Milhone's favorite ingredients, right there. Throw on a sliced boiled egg, and you'll be able to send away for your P.I. license.

• 2 weeks later...

alright, after one drunken night of delicious food I now make my grilled cheese ALL the time now

I have changed a few things though:

rye bread with sharp white cheddar, dill pickle slices, and dijon mustard

serve with: kettle krinkle cut chips: dill and sour cream flavor

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

Ah, at 25 (almost) years old I find myself staggering home from the bars, or a friends house around 1, 2, or 3 in the morning quite often...not as frequently asI once did when I was in college (although, I guess that is not a valid statement because I am now in graduate school getting my masters in education so I can get outta the business world and enter into education) - or undergraduate college at least.

Never-the-less, as I was saying my Fiance and I often find ourself ready for some late night eating after a few drinks (or shots in my case :)).

You can easily find us in Chicago ordering late night mexican food to bring home (and the places that are open at 1-3 AM are grease-holes...mmmm). Greg - the finace - gets enchilladad, me on the other hand - I usually have a fatty burrito, nachos, or tacos.

You also can predict the nights we have been out at the bars by our waking meal the next morning. Either sit down breakfast, Stanleys for a great breakfast buffet on saturday and sunday mornings, or taco bell...yes I know but its hangover food, please do not kick me out! HAHA

Shennagreena---I also love cooking grilled cheese's for a good hangover. I prefer sourdoug or french bread with a pairing of cheese, either a 6 or 10 year old cheddar I get at my local farmers market with a 3 year old white cheddar, munster with provolone, or swiss with a slcie of havarati. I like to spice things up! Dipped in ketchup...just the tinyest bit though...can't takeover the wonderful grilled cheese flavors! And I must add that I liberally butter my bread as well as the pan. I salt my sandwhich with seasalt as welll :)

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

I must admit when I have a very bad hangover you might find me at a Chinese Restaurant I hate with a passion.. For some reason, the thing that makes it horrible, is the thing that ends up helping me.. 

Daniel, why is it that the only cure for a hangover is really gross food you would never eat sober?

The only thing that will help with a hangover for me is really greasy, deep fried, food. One large papa gino's pepperoni pizza with a side order of mozarella sticks also help. I think if I ate a simple tossed salad it might make me feel worse

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

I order out and have them bring me decent cooked crap.

Or just take a pack or Ramen and add whatever is in the fridge into the cooked noodles. The possibilities: Endless.

The worst however was the night we decided to slice up and fry jalopeno peppers. After eating lord knows how many, we passed out. The next day was not a fun day for anyone.

• 5 months later...

Had to resurrect this thread to add: olive, green pepper, mushroom and sausage pizza, dipped in a batter made from fettucini alfredo with shrimp, mashed potatoes, pancake batter and milk, deep fried, then wrapped with ham and seaweed, sprinkled with furikake and dipped in barbecue sauce. I wouldn't have believed it myself if one of my friends hadn't mentioned it again this morning.

Edited to add, as my memory becomes less hazy: The night started off with three pounds of shrimp, which went into the aformentioned pizza, as well as:

Shrimp chowder/bisque made with shrimp stock (made with the heads, some red onion, and just about every spice and herb in the kitchen, simmered for a few hours), salmon cream cheese, butter, milk, mashed potatoes, and more shrimp.

Deep fried shrimp shells sprinkled with salt, deep fried shrimp shells filled with salmon cream cheese and pureed shrimp.

Deep fried shrimp dipped in hot sauce/barbecue sauce/cream cheese.

Also, everything was deep fried in olive oil, which is the only oil my friends had.

Edited by jkonick (log)

Holy shit!

Not only batter-fried pizza, but oh my god what a batter! ROFLMAO!

Sounds best un-remembered. Like the fresh apple daquiris we once made. Chewy booze.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

I'm amazed at how a lot of you can actually create meals after a night drinking.

I usually have trouble focusing so my favourite is.

I pop some rice and water in the micro for about twenty minutes.No chance of burning it that way

While this is cooking I chop up onions and garlic(in my condition that takes about 20 minutes

Then I fry the onion garlic mix with olive oil add paprika and chili powder salt pepper I then dump the rice in it mix it all up and add an egg to bind the whole lot together. Of course there are bits of garlic skin and onion skin in the mix but at that stage who cares

It looks disgusting but tastes divine

I'm not sure if this should go here, or in the "Stupid kitchen mistakes" thread. It was 3AM and it definately was alcohol fueled.

Roommate likes to cook bacon and eggs after a night of drinking. After a couple of small gas flame potholder fires, he's developed a phobia of my cast iron skillet. This weekend he decided to use a nonstick sauce pot with a plastic handle. The only setting he knows on the stove is HIGH. I'm out on the roof smoking a cigarette, and come back inside to an apartment that smells like someone re-enacted the Joan of Arc story with a barbie doll. The flames from the burner had come up around the edge of the pot, melting the paint on the sides and the plastic handle, and filling the apartment with horrid burnt plastic and paint fumes. We had to air the place out for a full day before it was inhabitable again.

He'll never learn. A few weeks ago he was drunkenly cooking bacon BUCK NAKED. That is not something you want to do.

So yeah, we cook alot of bacon when we're drunk.

"Nothing you could cook will ever be as good as the $2.99 all-you-can-eat pizza buffet." - my EX (wonder why he's an ex?)

My eGfoodblog: My corner of the Midwest

Top Ramen Cooked in a college dorm room crock pot that someones roomie put dishsoap in but failed to rinse.....yeah, we were drunk enough to attempt to eat it.....I can just think of it and still trigger my gag reflex almost 20 years later....

Along those lines, we accidentally washed a bag of weed and at some point soon thereafter we were drunk enough to try and smoke it (it had dried)...it became known as "doap" (rhyming with and tasting like "soap", also pronounceable as "doe-ap" to distinguish it from it's less-soapy homophone)...

i'm just saying.

mem

Edited by markemorse (log)

Had to resurrect this thread to add: olive, green pepper, mushroom and sausage pizza, dipped in a batter made from fettucini alfredo with shrimp, mashed potatoes, pancake batter and milk, deep fried, then wrapped with ham and seaweed, sprinkled with furikake and dipped in barbecue sauce. I wouldn't have believed it myself if one of my friends hadn't mentioned it again this morning.

Edited to add, as my memory becomes less hazy: The night started off with three pounds of shrimp, which went into the aformentioned pizza, as well as:

Shrimp chowder/bisque made with shrimp stock (made with the heads, some red onion, and just about every spice and herb in the kitchen, simmered for a few hours), salmon cream cheese, butter, milk, mashed potatoes, and more shrimp.

Deep fried shrimp shells sprinkled with salt, deep fried shrimp shells filled with salmon cream cheese and pureed shrimp.

Also, everything was deep fried in olive oil, which is the only oil my friends had.

This is both amusing and horrifying. I don't suppose you have photographs? And how did you feel the next day?

Somewhere in the great and illustrious history of eGullet, someone christened me the Goddess of Lily-Gilding.

I hereby renounce, abdicate, forswear and relinquish all claim to said title, giving all rights and appurtenances thereto into the greasy hands of jkonick. Wear the laurels with pride and do not drop the scepter.

(And mop a lot; sliding off a cloud is WAY dangerous). :blink:

• 2 years later...

While I have plenty of my own alcohol-fueled concoctions, if I were to share lack of culinary genius, it would have to be my friend, Matt, who wins the honor.

I came down to the house kitchen (fraternity house) late one evening to discover Matt, beer in hand, staring down at an omelet pan sitting on the flattop with eggs still runny as could be. I asked him what he was making and got the response, "Thhissh ish beer shcrambled eggsh. But they aren't cooking. I even added MORE beer."

I realized two things: 1) Matt was serious drunk and 2) The flattop wasn't even on. No wonder they weren't cooking. So I suggested he use one of the burners and he just kept repeating, "Naahhhh, that won't work!"

Finally, I decided to give a brother a hand, walked over and put the pan on a lit burner and within 30 seconds, he had his beer scrambled eggs. The look of utter amazement on his face was priceless, like I had just shown him the fabled city of Shangra-La or something.

Naturally, he failed to remember any of this the next day when asked.

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

My recent late night cookings include, jiaozi (even made the dough from scratch, boy was that a mess) and vegetarian lasagna. For some reason I always attempt really complicated food, most people just melt cheese on something :)