• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bacardi 1873

Port Aransas

Hello All,

Quickly wanted to say thanks to all the members, esp. Mr. Hamilton, as I have gained much information from these discussions when deciding to try a new rum (this is what led me to Ron Zacapa :cool: ).

Now, I was recently cleaning out a closet and came across an almost empty bottle of Bacardi 1873 that I bought in the late '90's in San Juan. From what I remember (and from tasting that last little bit) this wasn't a bad sipping rum, nothing special but not bad. I see that Bacardi has an 1873 Solera that's made in Mexico (my bottle wasn't), does anyone know if this original non-Mexican 1873 is still available?

Rgds,

Steve

Did 1873 Solera start out as Bacardi Gold Reserve? I bought a bottle of Gold Reserve in Mexico in the early 90's. It was in the same type of bottle as the 1873 Solera, but came in a black velvet bag (like the purple Crown Royal bags).

I can't confirm that progression of Bacardi products but it doesn't sound unlikely. Many Bacardi products have changed over the years especially when they are produced in other countries.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

• 2 weeks later...
I've seen the 1873 in San Juan, but the Anejo which I used to love, is not made in Mexico, so maybe the 1873 will suffer the same fate.

Bacardi 8, sold in the US, is made in the Bahamas.

Ed,

So this means that the Bacardi Anejo (made in Mexico) that we have in stores here in the states, has changed? I had a bottle about a year ago and thought it was very nice, if mild.

Bruce

• 1 month later...

I would have to Agree with Ed, the Bacardi Anejo I bought from Mexico was much Smother and had more Flavor than the Bottles we get in the US.

-------------------------------------Freedom is Not Free-----------------------------------------

----------------------- Blues Bruthas & Sistahs Stealth Society (BBSSS) -----------------------

Love my S2K, Just Point & GO, But watch out for Da BEARS and keep her rubber side down!

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it still make a noise ?????

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Founder and Member #001-03-06-06