• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Blacksmiths Inn, Westow

Morning Advertiser 1 March 2007

Yorkshire Food Pub Snaffled

Read this headline in todays Morning Advertiser ......

'The Blacksmith Inn at Westow near Malton in North Yorkshire - voted Best Yorkshire Dining Pub 2006 - has been sold. The pub was bought by Jonathan Cliff and partner Emma Shaw from Black Cat Taverns Ltd. It is their first pub venture'

Is this correct?

Edited by bakerestates (log)

Time for a rest and plenty of time on the right side of the bar.

I know how you feel.

No, we won't be doing it again  :laugh:

If you change your mind....I know this lovely old character inn in a picturesque village......... :wink:

From reading these posts, your site and Observer review, you seem to have achieved a lot. Well done.

i think we did achieve a lot in a short space of time, i particularly wanted a good food guide entry and a national review so that was box ticked. The business was developing as planned, it was more a personal decision than a financial one to sell

from the outset i expected to have more time to dedicate to the business, things worked out differently and you just need to be there, there was only so much of me and sarah to go around. We increasingly found ourselves without much of a life so you have to question why continue!

you don't win friends with salad

Time for a rest and plenty of time on the right side of the bar.

Thanks to all those who ventured up and wrote kind words about us, it meant a lot.

I take it all back you shandy lightweight.

It takes and intelligent person to take on such a buisness- make a great success of it, receive plaudits and awards and then sell at the top of their game. So, naturally, I am assuming it was Sarah's idea :biggrin:

Rare sincere moment alert: Well done mate, it was a fabulous place and you both richly deserved those kind words.

Now get the beers in you tight Yorkshire git.

It has been wonderful to follow the development of your inn and restaurant. Thank you for sharing it with us! I must admit, it was on my list for my next trip to England so selfishly, I'm sad to hear the news. Good luck in your new ventures and I hope the new folks are inspired by the type of place you created.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

• 3 weeks later...

was it menuwatch?

i assumed they'd dropped the article as it was a couple of months ago i was talking to them and spent ages doing the pics etc.

they kept pushing for tight dealines so i thought the article was iminent.

i shall have a wander to smiths for a gander later....

you don't win friends with salad